March 5th, 2010

CNN's newest show: 'John King, USA'

Washington (CNN) – Traversing the country over the past year helped John King make a difficult decision a lot easier. What to name his new weeknight political program?

King, CNN's chief national correspondent, announced Friday morning on Twitter that it would simply be called "John King, USA." It debuts on March 22.

"One of the things they do tell you in this business is having your name associated with a show is important." King said in a video posted on CNN.com. "That is actually a little bit uncomfortable for me."

Before joining CNN in 1997, King worked for the Associated Press, a wire service where anonymity is the norm because articles often appear in newspapers around the world without bylines, let alone images of reporters who write the stories.

In 2009, King was handed the reins of the CNN Sunday political program "State of the Union," and he made it a point to report from all 50 states to show how decisions in Washington were affecting everyday Americans.

So, as the network grappled with what to name his new 7 p.m. ET show, it became clear simplicity is often the most powerful message.

"The USA part is a lesson learned from the past 25 years really, but reinforced in the past year when I was lucky working on the Sunday show to visit 50 states in 50 weeks," King said in the video. "The mission incorporated in that most important part of our title is that even though we will spend most of our days in Washington, D.C., we will always have people out roaming the country, we will always have people out looking for good stories out there, and that you cannot cover national politics just by being in Washington, D.C."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. Monster Zero

I think it is funny how the liberal clowns on here are dissatisfied with King for reporting the News. What's wrong libs doesn't King spin the chocolate on the turd for you thick enough?

March 5, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. N.Chale

John King and his wife both work for CNN and anytime I watch them on CNN, they are always pandering to the right. I know they are Republicans, which is so obvious but they should be Journalist first and report the news as it is and not try to skew the facts of the news.

March 5, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Brian In Mesa

John King interviews top Republicans and let's them get away with anything they want. He is just a Republican hack. Look at his interviews of Dick Cheney. If I want to watch this kind of right wing BS I would turn to Faux News.

March 5, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. los stl

why all these networks msn/abc/cnn & foxs has no one of color having their own show about politics, I know President Obama is half black & white but when every news organizations has no one of color talking about politics are so it just don't seam even because they only look at life through their own life exprience not one of color. just wondering?

March 5, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. Elizabeth

So it will be a faux news show aired on CNN.

March 5, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. meg

Who cares, john king and his wife dana bash!

March 5, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. smokey

Hers comes more of the right-wing...Do we really another news show ?? They are bcoming just bad as the so called reality shows..And why couldn't CNN give this show a minority ? And then to call it USA which infers that this show represents USA. Give me break..Thank goodness for the remote control !!!

March 5, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. enviroguy

Is this a news story or a commercial?

March 5, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Linda C in Cal

Although I switched over to Fox News from CNN, I always liked John King - He is an honest journalist who has the ability to apply his objectivity and integrity to report the truth in the world of politics. Mr. King is a good man and I trust him, can’t say the same of Candy Crowley who has now taken over John’s State of the Union on Sundays.

March 5, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. The Man

He is a tea partier in sheep's clothing. I won't watch his new show either.
    I was glad to see Candy take his place.

March 5, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Sue, Vienna, VA

I totally agree with those of you who stated that John King leans WAY too far to the right! I like my news reports a little more unbiased, thank you. I always thought the media was supposed to quote the NEWS, not their views! Just as I refused to watch Lou Dobbs, I refuse to watch John King.

March 5, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Mike

If my last name was "King" and I had a son, I would name him "Joseph (Joe) King."

Then when ever his friends see him approaching they would say,

"Oh, he is just joking!"

March 5, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Felonious Monk

John King's Snake Oil

March 5, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  14. Ready for 2012

Well, at least he not on Sunday morning anymore.

March 5, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Wake Up

All i hope is it takes any airtime from the worst broadcaster on a major news network...Rick Sanchez. He is so incompetant...and is a rampant lefty who is supposed to reporting the news.

March 5, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. rob

John King is the most ballanced voice on CNN. Its a good move on CNN's part but as you see from the posts here, CNN's loyal watchers don't like him because he asks their hero Dems tough questions . They would rather hear Anderson Cooper tell his 2000 or so viewers that "Its hard to talk when your Teabaggin"

March 5, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Wake Up

Lacrosse mom-do you ever have a clue? John king is to the LEFT of center. I know people like the 10 people who watch MSNBC and think that's mainstream.

Big government is bad...maybe if you paid taxes you would know that.

March 5, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. Fair and Balanced

New show – same old left-wing hacks. Ever think of trying something original CNN?

March 5, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Alfalfa

Isn't news supposed to reporting the actual FACTS? What is funny is that people on here would want a News reporter to influence the FACTS with a spin of their own political views, that is not reporting the NEWS. That would equate to a talk show like a Glenn Beck or John Stewart, a kind of political parody show. Get a CLUE and pull your heads out of your butts, go back to school, get an education, read some history, you may find that it was the Republican Party that was formed to abolish slavery, Democrats mastered the buy your vote.

March 5, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |