March 5th, 2010

Congressmen to Pentagon: Exonerate Navy SEALs in Iraq incident

Washington (CNN) - A trio of congressional Republicans passionately appealed to the Pentagon on Thursday to drop charges against three Navy SEALs accused of assaulting an Iraqi suspected of orchestrating the 2004 killing and mutilation of four U.S. contractors.

Flanked by about a dozen retired Navy SEALs at a news conference near the Capitol, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-California; Rep. Dan Burton, R-Indiana; and Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, insisted that the U.S. is sending the wrong message to its troops.

"These Navy SEALs were apprehending a terrorist murderer, and they are being accused of roughing him up? Give me a break! These men should be given medals, not prosecuted. These men are heroes," Rohrabacher said.

Burton agreed, saying, "These people are laying their lives on the line every day, and they can't go into a combat situation with kid gloves on."

Full story

Filed under: Pentagon
  1. StormerF

Why is this a surprise,Eric Holder has hired 9 Lawyers who defend terrorists,some still at Gitmo. We have a dangerous situation here when we let the DOJ hire terrorist sympathizers. Only bed wetters feel you can reason with evil.

March 5, 2010 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  2. demo

This is exactly the kind of crap brought on by the likes of the ACLU and other liberal leaning groups, prosecute the protectors not the terrorists. My God, are you people so consumed by your "political correctness" that you are willing to cut off your own nose. SEMPER FI

March 5, 2010 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  3. Duck Fallas

Absolutely. If they killed the piece of filth, would there even be an issue?

Exonerate these men, with the apologies of a grateful nation.

Incarcerate Cheney, and his daughter.

March 5, 2010 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  4. Agreed!

SEALS put their life on the line for this country every day - and we want punish them for giving some low-life terrorist a fat lip? Unbelievable!

March 5, 2010 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  5. Ferret out the BS

If they could've not have apprehended the individual any other way, or could not have attained essential information, or even subdued the prisoner for transport the actions should be justified. If this situation was an emotional response, then the actions are not justified, these men are better trained than that.

March 5, 2010 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  6. larry

these rethugs want us to be like the taliban....they want us to stoop to their level...shame on them.

March 5, 2010 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  7. Ken in NC

I'm an ex-cop and even I am beginning to have second thoughts about how our justice is administered. While I do not know the "In's and Out's" of this case, it seems that the one they had in custody has accused them of "Roughing him up".

OK so charge them with a minor offense of the UCMJ and let them forfiet half a months pay and go back to work and the guy that got roughed up, well let him forfit his life for the carnage he took part in on the deaths and the display hangings of the two contractors in Iraq.

March 5, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

--------------------------------

Nope! I'm sorry. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but NO! We are trying to regain lost moral ground. The inappropriate beahviour of our military in Abu-Dhabi should remind us that we MUST stand above the fray. No matter what the circumstances those that represent the United States military should act and behave ABOVE reproach. This is a major component of what sets us aside from any military in the world: our integrity, moral compass, and respect for humans no matter who they are. Let us not besmirch this tradition with impunity at the behest of warmonging GOPers. We CANNOT continue to say one thing and do another. Nor should we have a different set of rules applied to us than the rules that we enforce on others. Right is right, and wrong will always be wrong no matter who the perpetrator(s).

March 5, 2010 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  9. GI Joe

Typica republican - they don't have a job to do (work for us) so they run around trying to undo what's been done for years. KICK THEM OUT.

March 5, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  10. Annie, Atlanta

When did people in Congress start thinking that the same laws don't apply to all of us? Maybe when bribes became legal on Capitol Hill, huh?

March 5, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Sorry, that should be Abu-Grahib. Need my coffee!

March 5, 2010 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  12. I Can't Stand It

I give you Exhibit A of What's Wrong With This Administration. If the very worst allegations prove true, these SEALs were rough in their treatment of captive terrorists. Why don't we haul up all the remaining WW II veterans and prosecute them? Former President Clinton was bad enough in his obvious loathing of the military, but at least he didn't try to put all of them in jail!

March 5, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  13. Daniel

Why is our "President" not doing something about this? So what if this piece of crap terrorist got a bloody nose. I don't care and to charge these fine soldiers with anything is a joke. Once again, our president is doing anything he can to make our country and soldiers look bad. It comes from Paster Wright and Bill Ayers and all the other America Haters that coached him. You people were warned.

Oh, look at me now. I'm a racist because I said our president is a joke. He is a joke. He is a disgrace. And he will be rightfully sent back to Chicago where he belongs in 2012.

March 5, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  14. Sniffit

They do the crime, they do the time. Simple as that! Everyone must play by the same set of rules. Right republican posters?

March 5, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

One thing that hasn't been mentioned was their orders. What were their orders and what were they there to do. This doesn't give all the facts. I support the troops, but this doesn't give us enough to know of these SEALs violated legitimate orders.

If they were told to bring this guy in alive if possible and there was a way to do that with mininal losses to them and the suspect, then they failed in their mission. We in the public don't know what the full story is. If the suspect tried to escape, then reasonable force should have been used to subdue or track him.

March 5, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. Not Blue, Not Red, but Purple

Let them go!

March 5, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. Mark

It is very scary the direction our country is going with progressives in the white house, they must be voted out asap before it's too late.

March 5, 2010 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  18. gabriel

I feel this is horrible news. The SEALs should be honored as heroes. But to prosecute them would be telling all soldiers that if you do your job you will go to jail.

March 5, 2010 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  19. Sgt. USMC

From what I am reading, it does not seem like they did any wrong. Terrorists will get roughed up a little, I'm ok with it, you have to establish dominance or they will try to harm you.

They are going about this like if they committed murder or something. It's weird.

One thing I don't agree with is this statement:

"there are different levels of constitutional rights,"

Really? Who decides who gets what level?

I guess if I needed someone to back me up in a situation like this, these politicians would be the last people I would want helping me.

March 5, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. Tom in Delaware

I agree...free these men and let them do their jobs as THEY know best.

March 5, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  21. Angus McDugan

Obama and Cantor will not let this happen as they loath the military. Obama's only use for the military is for photo opts alongside of our fallen heros.

POOR LEADERSHIP!!!!!!!

March 5, 2010 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. Deborah/Kansascity

Republicans do not care about the rule of law; or about defending the rights of individual people. This article does not say that the Seals hurt the "suspect" in trying to apprehend him. It says they assalted him after he was in custody. Might is not always right and just because someone is a "suspect" does not make them guilty.
    I hope Americans wake up soon and realize that the Republican party has not changed. They still try to win elections by causing hate, fear, and division. They don't mind making up things to support their views or telling outright lies. They support torture and aggressive wars, and believe that, anyone who does not believe in the exact same things they believe in, are not "real Americans" and have no rights.

March 5, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. Gary

I agree, our soldiers are risking their lives and I'm okay with how this terrorist was handled. Drop this investigation nonsense and thank our Navy Seals for a job well done!

March 5, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Unfortunately the U.S. is exposed to criticism of the U.N. and Geneva Convention if they don't follow the rules, this is no more than a formality.

March 5, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. Richie in Mass

This terrorist is responsible for the killing, setting on fire, dragging down the street and hanging people from a bridge. He got a bloody lip while being captured? Sounds like they were really tough on him. Does anyone yet realize how politcal correctness is hurting this country? I know, I know. We have to show the world we are different and better . That we treat people better. I can see how a bloody lip compares to murder, setting on fire, dragging down the street and hanging peoples body from a bridge.

I am sure this whole thing has no effect on moral or how special ops soldiers operate ( sarcasm for those who don't recognize it). As it is the terrorists can shoot at our soldiers yet if they then walk out of the building without the weapon our soldiers can't do anything. Maybe if we ask them nicely to change their minds and stop the jihad they will listen. Maybe Obama could apologize some more. These brave soldiers did their job and are getting screwed for doing it. PC has to stop.

March 5, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |