March 5th, 2010

Romney: Palin is qualified to be President

Washington (CNN) – Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, considered to be a leading candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, said Friday that he thinks potential GOP rival Sarah Palin is qualified to serve as president of the United States.

Romney, in an interview to air on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer," cited her service as a local and then state official as well as her selection as the GOP vice presidential nominee in 2008 as examples as to why she is qualified.

Blitzer, who was interviewing Romney about his new book "No Apology: The Case for American Greatness," specifically asked whether Palin is qualified to be president. "I sure do," said Romney.

He added, "She's been a mayor, she's been a governor, she's been part of a presidential campaign, she's got a lot of support."

Palin, a virtual unknown until she was chosen by Sen. John McCain to be his running mate in 2008, came under fire from critics who charged she did not have enough experience to be vice president.

Romney, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican Party nomination in 2008, was asked by Blitzer about running again for president, an idea he did not rule out.

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. William

Oh Mr. Romney, how imbecilic a self-portrait you've painted.

March 5, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. chaz in colorado

Well, that shows exactly why, from now on, Romney should have all utterances or writings generally disregarded, and he should never, ever be placed in a position or authority.

March 5, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. Eric

This guy has no credibility before he answered this question.

March 5, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Four and The Door

She is more qualified than President Obama and he's had the job for a year. She's got more support now, too! That's as much his fault as it is hers.

March 5, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. k

Any thread of relevance Romney had....now gone

March 5, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  6. R

"She's been a mayor, she's been a governor, she's been part of a presidential campaign, she's got a lot of support." YOU MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT SHE'S ALSO A QUITTER. Sorry, she is not Presidential material. However, I'd like to see her run. It would be fun and great for the Democrat for her to be on the ticket to split the republican party and create havoc.

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Peter

Right, Mitt, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Carol

What is it about this woman that turns Republican men to mush? Are they afraid of her? How will they handle her if they have to go toe to toe with her for the Republican nomination? Anyone with half a brain knows Palin is not qualified.

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Radar54

Uh,Uh,Uh, how sad!

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  10. RCasson

Slick liar. He knows that clown is not qualified. He is only playing nice so that HE can get the 2012 nomination.

Obama will destroy him. Bring it on.

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

And that tells you what you need to know about Romney's judgment: it's a bad as McCain's. Palin is a moron.

March 5, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Hi I'm TriG, and my mommy scares me :-(

One step forward, one thousand steps back. Whatever happened to just being hoset about someone's qualifications, regarless of party affiliation.

Here I'll show you: I am a gun owning Democrat who voted for an Independent for Gov of NJ because I was in disagreement with over 50% of the ideas the democratic candidate offered. And as of right now I am happy with the progress that our REPUBLICAN is making in balancing NJ's huge deficit. I am still happy I voted for Obama and although I do not support all of his proposals I am mature and realistic enough to realize that NO candidate will ever agree with the American public 100% of the time.

See, I can express my opinion even if it "supposedly" makes my party look bad.

March 5, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Jonathan

Well, this officially puts to rest my fear of seeing him in the White House. Thanks, Mitt the Muppet!

March 5, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. KLS

I used to think Mitt was a fairly smart guy with some good business sense but now I question his qualifications.
    Doesn't Palin want to do a reality show about Alaska?

March 5, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. l kern

Love the comedy..keep it coming for late night material.

March 5, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Duck Fallas

... and then the crazy negro broke my hair. Hee hee hee.

March 5, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  17. Not Brainwashed

Most of you people are out of it. She has more experience as an executive than Barack Obama had when he was elected.

March 5, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. ABM

Are you kidding me? No wonder he lost the Republican bid. What a total joke this has become.

March 5, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. Erik

The fact that Mitt is saying this proves that he is unqualified to be president.

There are 2 possible reasons for his statement:

1. He is as stupid as the rest of the Palin supporters

2. He is making a cold political calculation that running against Palin in the primary will be good for him (Palin makes any other candidate look good), and this kind of deceitfulness is exactly what we can no longer accept from our politicians..

March 5, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. travis

Mitt agrees with a small minority of the USA. I really don't know why he felt like he needed to say that Palin was qualified. Mitt is a smart man and a bad politician.

March 5, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. GI Joe

He just lost all credibility – kinda like McSongbird.

Geeeeesh

March 5, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. Sgt. Flagg T. McLiberty, Superpatriot

Mitt Romney is a genius: perfect SAT score, simultaneous JD and MBA from Harvard.

That being said, it is completely obvious that he is lying. Like all successful politicians, Mitt Romney has the ability to lie straight to your face and still seem sincere. That's OK; it's part of the game.

What I don't like is that, like McCain, he too seems to be willing to employ the most shameless of cynicism to appeal to base while in reality not giving two craps about them. It's this blind pursuit of power at all costs that sunk McCain, and it will sink Romney too.

March 5, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. David

And you just provided evidence that you are not qualified. . .

March 5, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. Obama Victim

Palin is not qualified...of course neither is the sleazebag we have now

March 5, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |