March 5th, 2010

Romney: Palin is qualified to be President

Washington (CNN) – Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, considered to be a leading candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, said Friday that he thinks potential GOP rival Sarah Palin is qualified to serve as president of the United States.

Romney, in an interview to air on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer," cited her service as a local and then state official as well as her selection as the GOP vice presidential nominee in 2008 as examples as to why she is qualified.

Blitzer, who was interviewing Romney about his new book "No Apology: The Case for American Greatness," specifically asked whether Palin is qualified to be president. "I sure do," said Romney.

He added, "She's been a mayor, she's been a governor, she's been part of a presidential campaign, she's got a lot of support."

Palin, a virtual unknown until she was chosen by Sen. John McCain to be his running mate in 2008, came under fire from critics who charged she did not have enough experience to be vice president.

Romney, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican Party nomination in 2008, was asked by Blitzer about running again for president, an idea he did not rule out.

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Judith

I think Mitt just demonstrated why he us unqualified to be President. His judgment is obviously as bad as old McCain's if he thinks the lying, clueless, half-term Governor of Alaska is qualified to get anywhere near high office. Of course, Mitt has switched sides on the issues so often, he has no real beliefs and his demanor comes off like a smirky funeral director trying to bait you into buying the highest priced coffin so I think he's not much of a prospect for high office himself.

March 5, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Rick

I cannot imagine a situation where I would vote for Sara Palin. Period. Qualified? Well, I guess anyone can claim to be qualified. She hasn't proven anything to me other than I like her. Thats about it.

March 5, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Romney would crush Palin for the Republican nomination. He's smart enough to know that. This is just politicking.

March 5, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Lost in Texas FOREVER

If Mitt decides to run for president in 2012 and Palin is also running, which by the way I HOPE she does and gets the nomination, I wonder if he's going to be so nice about her then? I doubt it seriously, in fact the GOP nominees are going to be ripping each other apart just like Clinton and Obama did and I bet one of the things that will come up is that Palin is NOT qualified to be POTUS. And this will be coming from a Republican and I wonder how the far right Palin lovers are going to react to that. Old Mitty will retract this statement "you betcha" and tear into her if he wants the nomination. In fact I will sit back and enjoy the theater when it happens.

March 5, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Susan In SC

Well, Mitt, that means that YOU are not qualified as you have just proven that you lack good sense and decent decision making skills. Palin helps another Republican show his lack of depth!!

March 5, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. David

And Romney is now qualified to be a comedian.

March 5, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  7. Brian from CA

Oh so nowadays quitting ones elected position is counted as a qualification to be President? Palin quit her govenor's role because she could not handle the criticism. Does she or anyone else, like Romney, actually think she could handle the criticisms lobbed at a president?? Could she handle the level of criticism leveled at Obama? I don't think so, She'd be reduced to tears her first week.

March 5, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. marc from mississippi

Either one of them would be much better than the disgrace we have now for a President. I can't wait to see Sarah wipe the floor with Odoodoo in a debate. He can't take it. Even Hillary ran circles around him.

March 5, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Andy from NYC

Bless your heart Mit for expressing such love and affection. I know I couldn't, not for a political rival. What a cool customer!

March 5, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. gary

If Romney thinks that Palin is qualified, then this is evidence that Romney is not qualified to be president.

March 5, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. Thomas

Pee Wee Herman wanst Govener of Alaska was he?

Romney , the Man from Glad and Palin the goast of Anita Bryant.

March 5, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Mark

anybody would be better than Obama. Obama seems absolutely clueless as to what to do.

ROMNEY/PALIN 2012!!!!

March 5, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Republican

I just lost all respect I had for Romney. I thought he had some common sense left in him.

March 5, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. hello!

Sarah writes a book,
    Mitt writes a book.

Sarah goes on book-signing,
    Mitt goes on book-signing.

Sarah is interviewed,
    Mitt is interviewed.

Sarah is covered on every interview/book-signing,
    Mitt is covered ONLY WHEN ASKED ABOUT SARAH.

Palin 2012

March 5, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. SCharl

Romney told this lie for a very simple reason. Palin, if she decides to make a move to declare, will likely implode anyway and Romney doesn't want to alienate the dimwits who support her, thinking he might pick up a few of them as supporters. He is dripping with insincerity.

March 5, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. John McCauley

Anyone who even remotely thinks that Palin is qualified for the job of President of the United States is telling the world that he is not a very astute politician.

March 5, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. Heather from Beautiful Seattle

We'll see if he changes his tune in the Republican primary.

March 5, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  18. Arlando L. Cantley

Of course a person unqualified to be President would say Palin is qualified to be President. Mitt "Flipper" Romney couldn't win re-election in Massachusetts yet alone in 2012. If we Dems are lucky, hopefully it'll be a Palin Romeny 2012. You thought the Republicans lost in 2008! And, since I'm on it, the only good thing about Palin is she is a woman in a party that has no respect for women to choose and don't run a lot of female candidates. Also, had the supermajority 60% rule be in place, George W. Bush would have lost with 49.8% and our country would be better off–no 9/11 attacks (Condi can't reading a fricking NSB memo), no Afgan War (a few air stikes until 2500 Afghanis were killed–in war is like for like and one for one), no Iraq War (Rummy wouldn't have lied to us), no bank failure because we were obsessed with invading Iraq. Yet, the GOP are a bunch hippocrites. With the stimilus vote no then cut a ribbon, no on the deficit commission, all of sudden we care about the deficit, I don't think the GOP isn't even trying not to look hippocritical. Exceptions are the smart and respected Maine Senators Collins and Snowe and maybe FILF or RILF Senator Scott Brown.

March 5, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. ga mansfield

Joe the plumber is also qualified to be the VP...more so than Mitt...

March 5, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. Smiley

I disagree with Mitt's comment. He obviously manilupate her running for President. I believe Republican people think that she is a wonderful. You all are an idiot. God does not pick President Sarah even Hillary being over than men's President in USA. Sarah thinks that she is smart than GOD. Sarah will destroy our America. She is an equal LUCIFER. She wants WAR and OIL like BUSH did. The Bible says the women must be humble but she rebels God's word. That is her choice.. She knew it about the bible but she does not want to follow up the God's bible. We can't judge her only GOD. I knew it will be more worst tribulation in world. Sarah does not believe Climate Changes.

March 5, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. AndyBlue

Of course he thinks Palin is qualified. These religious nut jobs support each others lunacy.

March 5, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. Squigman

If Bush was qualified, I guess she is too. Bush, never got a vote from me, I doubt Palin will get one from me either.

March 5, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. Nero

That just proves that Romney is not fit to be president. Anyone who thinks Palin is fit to be President is a total and complete moron. Yes, you!

March 5, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. FactCheck

So you'd expect her to quit halfway through the first term to take up a gig at Fox News and pilfer the swags at the Oscar parties? Because that's what she's done during her last "job".

March 5, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. FactCheck

She has more experience as an executive than Barack Obama had when he was elected.
    ---–

As far as I know, Obama didn't quit halfway through his first term to take up a show-biz gig. And he didn't spend his free time attending Oscar parties and stealing the swags.

March 5, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |