March 7th, 2010

DWTS 'the best fun I've ever had,' DeLay says

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said his stint on 'Dancing with the Stars' was 'just amazing.'

(CNN) – The political chattering class in Washington need wait no longer for the answer to one of the past year’s burning questions: Why did former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, decide to take a turn on “Dancing with the Stars”?

“I just thought it would be the greatest thing, the best fun. And it was the best fun I've ever had,” DeLay said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union. “It was just amazing. I mean, it was a lot of work, and my feet killed me the whole time… and I broke both feet. But I just had the best time.”

The Texas Republican was a member of the popular show’s cast last season but had to drop out of the demanding dance competition early after suffering stress fractures in both of his feet.

Related video: DeLay out on 'Dancing'

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

Filed under: Popular Posts • State of the Union • Tom DeLay
  1. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

In a previous article, I believe that Mike of syracuse pointed out that this bill includes a reduction of $500 billion in medicare waste. Does anyone else remember that during John McCain's presidential campaign, he was going to cut $1.3 trillion from medicare with his magic pen?

March 7, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. Dan

At a time when Americans are suffering and uncertain about the future, it's good to see our politicians out having "the best fun I've ever had"

March 7, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

I do not think that republicans have fun unless it involves causing someone's suffering or starting an unnecessary war.

March 7, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Adalbert

We should have better things to talk about.

March 7, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

Another republican turd blossom from Texas.

March 7, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. Scott

If he thought that was fun ..... he doesn't get out much in the real world.

March 7, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Why isn't this man in jail? Both he and Newt Gingrich, for that matter, should be splitting rocks in prison.

March 7, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Hugo

__________________________________________
    DeLay is no more of a corrupt campaign schmuck than Barrack Obama or Bill Clinton, both sides of the aisle have turned campaign contributions into an all new realm of taking bribes and paying kickbacks. If Tom DeLay thought this was the most fun he ever had it was probably because he was too drunk to ever remember all that fun he had in DC in the hot tub with all those hot babes provided for by the lobbyists....Hot tub Tom!

March 7, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Todd

Why isn't delay in prison yet?

anyway - he actually had the funny side of himslef on display when he said that President obama ois acting out of arogance. this from the man who when a Capital Hill police officer told him it was againt the law to smoke the cigar delay was puffing on the "I am the law!" This from the man who re-wrote much legislation and handed it sight unseen to his own party demanding they pass it immediately –INCLUDING mu=ch of the industry giveaway Medicare D plan. He will rot in that special brand new section of hell Satan has been working on for conservatives - he needs to keep them isolated from general hell because he does not want too much competition for Prince of Evil.

March 7, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Rick in AZ

Delay is stony broke. He can't kill enough cockroaches to support his lifestyle. It is ALWAYS about the money with Republicans.

March 7, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. j

And because DWTS allowed this type of individual to appear on their show, I no longer have any inclination to watch.

March 7, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Fooled Again

They'll like the fact that he enjoys dancing, when he gets to jail

March 7, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. Avi Shlomo

I doubt this bufoon would lighten up for he will be full of anger and hatred. I recall on one or two occasion his office would call asking for $15,000 donation and they would be on some comittee. I figured that is all BULL. It was so good to see him humiliated on DWTS. Too bad no prosecutor would lockup him for dancing with the TRUTH.

March 7, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. brian in Mesa

Tom Delay – another republican crook from Texas. Wow, why don't you just go to some prison and interview detainees forever.

March 7, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  15. todd stevens

SC-Pub, Delay used to be the Republican house speaker when the Republicans were in office. He was known as the "hammer" (though bush called him "Turd Blossom"). He basically forced all republicans to vote for the far right, even if they were moderate republicans. As a result, 2006 turned out to be the 1994 election in reverse, and the republicans were voted out of congress and the government became democratic.

March 7, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  16. JOE

Obama is the BEST DANCER out there, any where, any time...He can DANCE around any subject, any time any where..

CHANGE YOU CAN BELEIVE IN....ANY TIME..

March 7, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  17. jmsent

Poor Cheryl Burke. She'll never be able to wash off the stink of that guy being her partner.

March 7, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  18. Socrates

All these self rigtheous politicians, after they get caught doing something ilegal, somehow they come back as if nothing would have happened. I am fair.. There are as many democrat politicians crooks as republicans.. the only difference.. democrats are not as selfish, greedy, hateful, and arrogant as the republicans are.. and all of them say that they believe in God.. only when it is conveninet to them.
    Republicans are so greedy that they could sell their Mothers if they think they can make a profit.

March 7, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  19. Ruth

Typical dancing fool republican. I bet he danced all the way to the bank with tax payer money.

March 7, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. P. D.

Why isn't the fact Tom Delay claimed peoplw were unemployed because they want to be? THAT is the story. Not your headline about DWTS.

March 7, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Marie MD

I hope he still had that health care that follows all politicians to their graves. I wonder what he would have done about his stressed feet if he didn't have insurance and/or money to spare.
    Our justice system is what's broken. That and people have no shame anymore.

March 7, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  22. JR

I thought that jerk was going to jail, why isn't he there?

March 7, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  23. s.durrell

If we asking Tom DeLay about his opinion who is going to be next, Charles Manson? This man is a crook. Why must the press give these guys a pass and put them back in front of the camera. He needs to return to the rock he crawled out from under.

March 7, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. RTB

For Delay to comment on any thing is a joke.

This low life has got to be one of the worse scum bags as Majority Leader of the House.

When is his jail term to begin?

March 7, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |