March 7th, 2010

DWTS 'the best fun I've ever had,' DeLay says

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said his stint on 'Dancing with the Stars' was 'just amazing.'

(CNN) – The political chattering class in Washington need wait no longer for the answer to one of the past year’s burning questions: Why did former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, decide to take a turn on “Dancing with the Stars”?

“I just thought it would be the greatest thing, the best fun. And it was the best fun I've ever had,” DeLay said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union. “It was just amazing. I mean, it was a lot of work, and my feet killed me the whole time… and I broke both feet. But I just had the best time.”

The Texas Republican was a member of the popular show’s cast last season but had to drop out of the demanding dance competition early after suffering stress fractures in both of his feet.

Related video: DeLay out on 'Dancing'

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

Filed under: Popular Posts • State of the Union • Tom DeLay
  1. Aspen Professor

I must admit that watching DeLay dancing on Dancing with the stars reminded me of how his "norm" while in Congress, like most Repubs these days, was dancing with the truth.

March 7, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. John Ca.

Delay is keeping America great with his Rights – Winged View?

March 7, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. Desmond

How refreshing! A Republican who is not uptight!!!
    And i am not a Dem.

March 7, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. Charlie in Maine

oI loved having him on DWTS I could keep an eye on him and he wasn't hurting anyone but himself. Now as far as his years in congress...........

March 7, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I had a political dislike for DeLay but it soften when he appeared on Dancing With The Stars. Maybe if all politicians would lighten up a little bit instead of showing the angry ugly side of them, they too could be perceived different regardless of what their political affiliation may be.

March 7, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. Mickey

DeLay failed as a politician, and he faild on DWTS...fitting for a domestic terrorist GOP'er

March 7, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Robrob

Delay is obviously positioning for 2012. I can just see that ticket, "Palin/DeLay in 2012; we'll quit when the going gets tough!"

March 7, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Carl Justus

DeLay thought he would impress the ladies with his ability and wisdom.

March 7, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Alpha Male

The man is still the greasiest of the slimeballs ever to grace Congress.

March 7, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Phoebe

"...I broke both feet. But I just had the best time." Masochist? Maybe that's why Republicans condone "enhanced interrogation techniques," i.e. torture.

March 7, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Fitz in Texas

With all due respect former House Majority Leader Tom Delay I'm happy you had a good time, but sir, you really need to brush up on your dancing skills.

March 7, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. Dems hate fun

Republicans know how to have fun. The left-wing haters can't stand it when people have fun.

March 7, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  13. SC-Pub "no" more

I'm new in the world of the political "has beens;" who the heck is Tom DeLay?

March 7, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. Leslie

AAH! The joys of the "average American." What a joke! DeLay tried not to look like a "stuffed shirt" but failed miserably. Too bad he cannot be as"free natured" as he tried to appear on DWTS. What a hypocrit! Remember that the majority of the people who watches that program, DeLay, are Middle-class Americans!

March 7, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. jerry in VT

It's hard dancing with both feet in your mouth

March 7, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. Henry

Glad he had fun, but in Texas, Baptists say dancing is is sin, so--?

March 7, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. Chris

LOL...If that was the best fun of your life you've lived a boring life...haha

March 7, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. David Hanegraaf

And he is the reason I stopped watching the show.

March 7, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Truth Still Matters

I'm with Pres. Obama and the Dems in opposing the use of reconciliation to pass health care reform.

March 7, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. joe m

he was definitely not the best dancer, but it took -– to take on the challenge.

March 7, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. Proud Liberal

This was fun to read...

Mr. Delay, I wish I could dance! This liberal is a terrible dancer and I know it's good for the soul. So you inspired me to be better.

Now, I hope that in the coming years liberals and conservatives will dance together much more often at the "Washington Ball."

March 7, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Hawk in Texas

What i would like to know is why has he not been tried yet? he was indited for money laundrying what 4 or 5 years ago. the normal human being would have been put on trial quickly. just why is it that these people that are or have been in politics can get by with any thing? look at bush and co.

March 7, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. shooter

A Texas court charged DeLay with criminal violations of state campaign finance laws and money laundering. This crook disappeared for a while and now he is resurfaced again just like Newt Gingrich. What a bunch of crooks.

March 7, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Good for you Tom, keep dancing! We don't need the likes of you screwing the American people anymore.

March 7, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. Sean from Marin

If after 12 months this country wants to turn back to people like Tom DeLay then we deserve what we get. McConnell and crew are deciples of DeLay, Rove and Army. God bless us all if this is the nonsense we want to bring back to Washington – thirty years of the rich getting richer and everyone else sucking wind.

March 7, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |