March 9th, 2010

Anti-abortion Democrats targeted in new campaign

Rep. Marcy Kaptur is one of eight Democrats being targeted by the SBA List.
Rep. Marcy Kaptur is one of eight Democrats being targeted by the SBA List.

Washington (CNN) – An anti-abortion rights organization is pledging to spend $500,000 to pressure eight Democrats to stand their ground and oppose any kind of federal funding for abortion in health care reform legislation.

The Susan B. Anthony List announced that it's spending $115,000 on radio ads this week targeting four House Democrats - Reps. Brad Ellsworth of Indiana, John Boccieri of Ohio, Steve Driehaus of Ohio and Jason Altmire of Pennsylvania - as the "kick off" of its campaign.

The SBA List, a national political organization based in the Washington, D.C. area, said in a statement that Reps. Baron Hill of Indiana, Marcy Kaptur of Ohio, Charlie Wilson of Ohio and Paul Kanjorski of Pennsylvania are the four other Democrats it will seek to exert pressure on.

The eight Democrats voted late last year in favor of an amendment offered by Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, that would put in place restrictions on federal funding for abortions in the House-passed health care bill.

SBA List said that telephone calls and other grassroots activities will also be part of the campaign.

Filed under: Abortion • Bart Stupak • Health care
  1. The Calabash Kid

Wanda "I was raped as a young girl and the man that raped me is dead now but I believe with all my heart that abortion is murder. If I had become pregnant becasue of the rape why would I punish a child that had nothing to do with it. There are too many good homes that want children to say there is no option but to abort a baby. I don't want my tax money supporting murder!!!!!"

Good for you Wanda. I believe that your decision is the one that counts. The baby would have been inside your body, and the government cannot regulate what happens inside your body. Every woman has the same right, including the 1.5 million who had an abortion last year and the 100,000 who had an abortion this month.

March 9, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. ZeRooster

Agreed. tax dollars should not be used for abortions. Your choice, your dollars.

Tax dollars should also not be used for faith based initiatives. Your god, your dollars.

March 9, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Viet.Vet.

These holier than thou people are a bunch of hypocrites, they don't mind sending young men and women to war some of whom may die, I guess thats alright because they are real living people,they are not raising any rucus about all the murders occuring in our street by living people or even the death penalty, oh again, I guess because they are living people However, its alright to tell a woman what she can or cannot do because she just might have an abortion because I guess that it will maybe one day be a living person who can go to war or maybe murder another living person or even live in poverty because I guess it will finally be a living person.

March 9, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. GI Joe

OK – I WANT my tax dollars to pay for castration for every male that impregnates a woman against her will (rape/incest) OR that causes a woman to have to support, feed, clothe a child while he goes and plays with other women.

HOW ABOUT THAT?

March 9, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. JerryAW

To GaleShipman:
    "How is it that democrats call themselves caring about other humans but don't blink an eye at the murder of babies?"

My question is, How is it that pro-lifers only care about babies until they are born? Then it becomes somebody else's problem if they starve, get abused, whatever. If you insist that they be carried to term, how about volunteering to adopt some of the unwanted ones?

March 9, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. SLP

@Florence

You are a horrible human being. Every person has value even the likes of you, although, I am having a difficult time imagining what that may be. I am prolife but would certainly not judge a woman for having an abortion in cases of rape, incest, or danger to a mother's life. But to say that a sweet innocent baby should be aborted because it doesn't fit societies definition of "normal" is an atrocity. You need to do some deep soul searching. Not all prolife people are religious fanatics. Alot of people view abortion as murder and the last time I checked, murder was against the law. Stop using your hostile attitude towards christianity as an excuse to be a evil.

March 9, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Franky, Land of Lincoln

Well, well, well...what do we have here, but then again, all Dems are natural born killers.

I do believe there will be funding, as far as I know, there are over thousands of abortions each day, unless they get the "female condom." LOL!! What a shame, it had to come to this.

Dems have a better chance at marketing the female condom than getting on board with this pro-choice agenda, it is a disgrace. But then again, what we need now is 'classical liberals", nowadays, where they at?

You're a phony Liberals!! Go kill babies.

March 9, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Linda

Funding for abortion services IS NOT in the bill. ANd I think that's quite unfortunate. Amazing how so-called "Christian" conservatives are so terrified of a woman exercising her LEGAL right to terminate a pregnancy. I can't believe we're even still having to debate this issue in America in 2010! If you believe abortion is morally wrong–don't have one. But leave the rest of us alone to make that decision for ourselves, just as you have the right to do.

March 9, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. stop the nonsense

These anti-abortion foes would rather save, what at best is a quesitonable life( a fetus), to the millions of people who will die or suffer without adequate healthcare.
    What do people use as a guidelines for their thinking?

March 9, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. I WANT MINES

if this bill has money for health care clinics then it has money for abortions
    coming in the back doors why do you think these dems are against it because they know the jargon and slimy political tricks and slimy phrases used

how do you think they know that? THEY ARE POLITICIANS WAKE UP PEOPLE WAKE UP DONT BE UNDER OBAMA TRANCE HE IS ONLY A MAN isnt that what is said when he is criticized about the turn around of the economy? his father come from a muslim nation not jewish

March 9, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  11. j

I am in favor of Federal funding for abortions (or pay to raise the child).

An insurance provider should be allowed to determine what procedures they will cover without interference from the Federal government or the State and if the insurance covers abortions, then the government should keep out of it.

March 9, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Ted

How can it be called "pro choice" when the unborn baby is not given the choice to live?

Rather, he/she is viciously murdered by his/her own mother.

How is that choice?

March 9, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. In the West

It's funny, I don't recall the founders thinking abortion was important enough to include in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. Maybe we should just leave choices like this up to individual pregnant women......

C'mon you anti-choicers: are you Americans or not?

March 9, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  14. In the West

And it's true that the Hyde Amendment covers this already. The right-wing radicals argue that if Americans get any help on health care insurance premiums then we might use the saved money for abortions. Sounds pretty patronizing to me. They might as well argue against tax refunds (like under Bush/Cheney) since that $300 certainly could have been used for an abortion, too....

Wake up conservatives and work for uniting our nation, instead of trying to force your narrow views on a few issues down the throats of all the rest of us (75+ % at last count).

March 9, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  15. aware

Women's voices will be muffled until they stop destroying the fruit of their wombs! Life is God's gift! :)

March 9, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |