March 9th, 2010

New senator bucks party to end filibusters

Despite the fact he opposes the bill, Republican Sen. Scott Brown took to the Senate floor Tuesday to announce he would vote to end a Republican filibuster on a bill extending unemployment benefits and tax credits.

Washington (CNN) - Barely a month in office, Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, is putting some muscle behind his independent image by twice voting against his own party and questioning the use of the filibuster.

Brown took to the Senate floor Tuesday to announce he would vote for cloture, or to end a Republican filibuster, on a bill extending unemployment benefits and tax credits. This, despite the fact he opposes the bill and technically the filibuster helped his cause.

"I have very serious concerns about the overall cost of the bill," Brown told the chamber, "but my vote for cloture signals that I believe we need to keep the process moving." He also said, "there has been a week of debate and allowing this bill to receive an up-and-down vote, would be a step, I feel, in the right direction."

With Brown’s help, the nearly $140 billion bill cleared the procedural hurdle on a vote of 66-34, setting it up for passage.

This was the second time Brown bucked his party on a filibuster vote. In late February, the new senator was one of five Republicans who voted to end a filibuster on a $15 billion jobs bill.

It is rare for a senator to vote for cloture, thus advancing a bill, while opposing the bill itself. Votes on filibusters are often defacto decisions on the content of the proposal.

Brown campaigned as the would-be "41st" Republican senator, whose vote could block the Democratic health care bill using the filibuster process. He did not mention that debate or the Senate health care bill in his remarks Tuesday.

Filed under: Scott Brown • Senate • unemployment
  1. Dan

My opinion of Brown is becoming better and better the more he show his moderate ways.

March 9, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  2. gcole

I hope he is the future of the rep party. We used to compromise and work together, this guy gets that.

March 9, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. Robin in Tampa, FL

I had my doubts but I'm starting to like this guy, It's only fair to have an up or down vote.

March 9, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  4. get real

I'm liking Sen. Brown, aka senatorfold, more every day.

March 9, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  5. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

With the "back wax" conundrum for Rubio, does this mean we will soon learn what little Scotty "Bare" Brown charges the Republican party credit card when he has his bikini line waxed?

March 9, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. Lonnie, CO

Mass won't stand for republican's daily filibuster, he's gotta let some go through to get votes. But, he will be whipped by Mitchy on the big ones.

March 9, 2010 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. IVOTE

Senator Brown from Massachusetts would like to get re-elected by voting the Ted Kennedy way. The last thing he wants is to be blamed for destroying the health care reform bill. He will be doomed.

March 9, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  8. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

In a democracy, it is good to get an up or down vote. Heckuva job Brownie!

March 9, 2010 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  9. Socrates in Leominster

I am a proud Liberal because I am COMPASSIONATE and KIND and don't use the flag of God as many republicans do to hide their hatefulness and hypocrecy.. but.. I admire individuals like Senator Brown who puts the interest of the country and people before his party.. I can see he is not a sheep.. like most of republican/conservatives are.. just a buch of self righteous, mean spirited and hateful asides of selfish and greedy. I wouldn't mind voting for Brown. He has earned my respect.

March 9, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Hmmm... I believe Brown got himself elected by declaring himself "the 41st senator". Me confused.

March 9, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  11. Wake Up

Take note parties...maybe some goodwill can do some good? Also, I just hope this will open the minds of the free-spending libs...who have to realize that high spending will equal high unemployment and a poorer country

March 9, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. TED T

I've been a Republican most of my life and I'm glad their is someone who can vote for the people not for being a hard line Republican. I'm not voting Republican again until they start voting for the good of the people and not for big money interest. The war in Iraq cost more than the health plan and they created a lie to get the vote!!!!

March 9, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. Robert

Gee, he might not be so bad after all... an Independent Republican.. one who can think for himself and act according to his own reasoning as opposed to one who takes his marching orders from Mitch O'Connel whose sole purpose in life is to oppose Obama on every issue at all costs...

I could learn to like this guy...

March 9, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Ken in NC

I have no idea what kind of a Senator this man is going to be but it appears that he does not want to see the Senate tied up in gridlock and bringing our entire government to a halt. That is the objective of the Republican Party. Remember that this Senator may be a Republican but it appears he is an Independent thinker.

March 9, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  15. SC-Pub "no" more

He is a "real" politician... he can get credit for being for it and against it! No wonder he won!

March 9, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  16. Bennie

senator brown appears to be a young smart senator 2 smart to get caught up in the old historical game of bigotry and hate he has his finest years ahead of him I hope he won't blow it following the old farts who have greatly contributed to the faults that plague this country perpetrated by political stupidity. we the people are watching every one in congress and we will decide who gets to stay however no one will ever stay 30 or 40 years ever again. It is clear that the old timers have lost their objectivity, sensitivity and common sense it is time for them to move out and allow some fresh blood be it republican or democrat the time has come for the corruption that has almost destroyed America to stop.

March 9, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  17. Nathan

If he just does what he feel is right for his constituents, he'll be okay.

March 9, 2010 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

If Senator Brown wants to stay in the Senate, he has to act like he is from MA.

March 9, 2010 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  19. once upon a horse

I admit that I may have been wrong about this Brown guy...any guy that can get on the wrong side of Rush Limbaugh and be a Republican at the same time is ok in my book!

March 9, 2010 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  20. Richard Komi

I hope Sen. Brown will remain true to his words by being the independent vote in congress. That seat belongs to the people not any one political party.

March 9, 2010 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  21. mark

that's what I call"a man of decision"

March 10, 2010 08:22 am at 8:22 am |