March 11th, 2010

Reid's wife and daughter in car accident

Sen. Harry Reid's wife (pictured) and daughter were involved in a car accident Thursday in the Washington area.

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s wife broke her back and neck and his daughter suffered a neck injury in an auto accident, a spokesman said late Thursday afternoon.

“Their injuries are non-life threatening,” Jon Summers, Reid’s spokesman, said in a statement. The Nevada Democrat’s family was traveling along a “Washington, D.C. highway” when “their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck,” Summers said.

Full statement:

“Senator Reid’s wife, Landra, and daughter, Lana, were involved in an accident earlier today. They are being treated at a Washington-area hospital. While driving on a Washington, DC, highway, their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck. Mrs. Reid has broken nose, broken back and broken neck. Lana has a neck injury and facial lacerations. Both Mrs. Reid and Lana are conscious, can feel their extremities, and according to doctors their injuries are non-life threatening. Senator Reid has been to the hospital and appreciates the support he and his family are receiving from Nevadans and his colleagues in the Senate.”

UPDATE: Reid returned to Capitol Hill to participate in health care talks after visiting his wife and daughter in the hospital. Reid spokesman Jim Manley said that the senator’s wife continues to undergo testing.

“Let’s be clear, for those who may know, he loves that woman more than life itself,” Manley told reporters. “But she’s in good hands at the hospital and (he) felt the need to come back and work on this piece of legislation and he’ll be heading back to the hospital as quickly as possible. I just spoke to him and he’s looking forward to getting back to the hospital.”

Update Friday 11:48 a.m.: From Reid spokesman Jim Manley: “Mrs. Reid remains in serious condition. Lana was released last night. Sen. Reid and Landra’s family is coming to be by her side. Sen. Reid was at the hospital until almost midnight last night. He stayed there until the doctors told him he needed to leave so his wife could rest. He returned first thing this morning to be with her and is still there.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett contributed to this report

Read the Virginia State Police statement regarding the accident after the jump:

For Immediate Release: March 11, 2010

TRACTOR-TRAILER CAUSES FOUR-VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASH
IN FAIRFAX COUNTY

FAIRFAX CO., Va. – An Ohio man has been charged in a four-vehicle crash that occurred Thursday afternoon (March 11, 2010) on Interstate 95 in Fairfax County. At 1:10 p.m., Virginia State Police Trooper Hindenlang responded to the crash that occurred in the northbound lanes of I-95 approximately 3/10 of a mile south of Route 7100.

Northbound traffic on I-95 near Route 7100 in Fairfax County was stop and go. As a 2005 Honda Odyssey began braking for the northbound traffic, it was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The impact forced the Honda Odyssey to rear-end the vehicle in front of it, a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was then forced into the next lane over where it struck a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt.

The driver and passenger of the Honda Odyssey, driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and driver of the Chevrolet Cobalt were all transported by ambulance to Fairfax Inova Hospital. None of the injuries is considered life-threatening. Every individual was wearing a safety belt.

The tractor-trailer driver, Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio, was charged with reckless driving. Snader was not injured in the crash. The tractor-trailer was loaded with rolls of plastic.

The two northbound lanes of I-95 were re-opened at approximately 3 p.m.

HONDA ODYSSEY DRIVER: Lana Reid Barringer, 48, of McClean, Va.
HONDA ODYSSEY PASSENGER: Landra G. Reid, 69, of Arizona
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE DRIVER: Michelle Helaire, 40, of Woodbridge, Va.
CHEVROLET COBALT DRIVER: Monika Krese, 57, of Dale City, Va.
TRACTOR-TRAILER DRIVER: Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio

###

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Jason from Hollywood

Well, since the injuries are outta the way – I'll be curious to see what the Senator's first-hand experience will be with the doctors, nurses and staff. I hope that they is at a private hospital where the Senator can see how they operate, hopefully he will then be able to better formulate his response to this government-runned health plan...

March 11, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. cat

After attending the Christian Coalition Convention in 1996, I left the Republican Party forever. The message at that Convention was unification through Fear and Hate (primarily fear and hatred of homosexuals). I am reading comments expressing that same fear and hate directed toward Sen. Harry Reid's family. The right wing has no shame.

March 11, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. star555

I hope his family are going to be alright, and will recover fully. The partisian issue with health care has nothing to do with it.

March 11, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. lee johson

for those how are throwing bad comment on them
    please stop they are human being like you
    my prayers go to them

March 11, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. Mesa

I don't like Mr. Reid's politics, but I will pray for him and his family.

March 11, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. Farvoyager

My prayers and thoughts for their family. AND ALL OF YOU WHO ARE MAKING THE NASTY, HATE-FILLED REMARKS: Is this really who you are...? Who you want to be...??

March 11, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  7. Larry in Atlanta

I'm so thankful that my parents raised me with a civilized thinking mind! This is no forum for political rhetoric. The internet certainly has brought a loud voice to the fringe minority. Best wishes for healing and peace to the Reid family.

March 11, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  8. justin

It's truly sad how some people choose to use their free speech.

I wish Sen. Reid and his family all the best and a quick recovery.

March 11, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  9. barbara

There sure are some sick people in this country. Makes me want to head for Canada. I wish the best for Mr. Reid's family.

March 11, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. Pete

Best wishes to you and your family Senator Reid. May they have a full recovery.

March 11, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  11. skip

CNN is the best. They rule.

March 11, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  12. annette

I may not like Reid's political decision's but this Republican wishes his family well and for a speedy recovery.

March 11, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  13. Rick

My prayers are with your family.

March 11, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. Chanel

No matter what you feel about the man, his family did nothing wrong. Prayers go out to them.

March 11, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. Zuzu

Amazing how far our knowledge has come when a broken back is considered 'non-life threatening'. The healing has just begun, hope it is all uphill from here. Be well Reids!

March 11, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. nick jordan - guymon, ok

God Bless the good senator and especially his family. How terrible of you to make puns about his health care coverage. The reason this reform is going through is that everyone, regardless of their station in life, can get the fast, accurate, and affordable care they need without fear of being dropped if they cross a certain dollar figure – even if they have never missed a payment in years upon years.

March 11, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. Joshua College Station Texas

I'm sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy. I hope that Senator Reid's wife and daughter are able to get through this quickly and make a full recovery.

March 11, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. Rasabu

My best wishes to the senator and his family. And, may you bring insight from this experience to the health care discussion.

March 11, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  19. kp

Glad to hear that Senator Reid's family is doing okay. I will be praying for them to heal from all their injuries.

March 11, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  20. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

Positive vibes sent for rapid recoveries for both of them.

March 11, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. Youngster

After tons of liberal jerks wished Dick Chaney ill-will after he suffered heart-attack, I vowed that I would make a snide comment on a liberal politician... but I won't...

My prayer goes out to Mr. Reid and his family, and I hope his wife and daughter gets well soon.

March 11, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Louise

His wife has a broken back, a broken neck and a broken nose and daughter has neck injuries and facial lacerations. This is not a minor accident, bad injuries. Wish the best for Reid and his family. Pray for them.

March 11, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  23. Righteous Indignation

And in the years that it would take some people to "better" themselves, what do they do if they become seriously ill or injured?

March 11, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. glen

has anyone ever read the book of JOB in the bible.

be careful what you say , if you think you know GODS

March 11, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. HW VT

My Prayers and thoughts go out to Sen. Reid and his family. His wife I am sure will have a long recovery ahead of her. I was hit by a car many years ago by a person and had a broken back and was had a long recovery. Between Mrs. Reid's back and neck, this a serious. How can any of you be so nasty.

March 11, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |