March 11th, 2010

Reid's wife and daughter in car accident

Sen. Harry Reid's wife (pictured) and daughter were involved in a car accident Thursday in the Washington area.

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s wife broke her back and neck and his daughter suffered a neck injury in an auto accident, a spokesman said late Thursday afternoon.

“Their injuries are non-life threatening,” Jon Summers, Reid’s spokesman, said in a statement. The Nevada Democrat’s family was traveling along a “Washington, D.C. highway” when “their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck,” Summers said.

Full statement:

“Senator Reid’s wife, Landra, and daughter, Lana, were involved in an accident earlier today. They are being treated at a Washington-area hospital. While driving on a Washington, DC, highway, their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck. Mrs. Reid has broken nose, broken back and broken neck. Lana has a neck injury and facial lacerations. Both Mrs. Reid and Lana are conscious, can feel their extremities, and according to doctors their injuries are non-life threatening. Senator Reid has been to the hospital and appreciates the support he and his family are receiving from Nevadans and his colleagues in the Senate.”

UPDATE: Reid returned to Capitol Hill to participate in health care talks after visiting his wife and daughter in the hospital. Reid spokesman Jim Manley said that the senator’s wife continues to undergo testing.

“Let’s be clear, for those who may know, he loves that woman more than life itself,” Manley told reporters. “But she’s in good hands at the hospital and (he) felt the need to come back and work on this piece of legislation and he’ll be heading back to the hospital as quickly as possible. I just spoke to him and he’s looking forward to getting back to the hospital.”

Update Friday 11:48 a.m.: From Reid spokesman Jim Manley: “Mrs. Reid remains in serious condition. Lana was released last night. Sen. Reid and Landra’s family is coming to be by her side. Sen. Reid was at the hospital until almost midnight last night. He stayed there until the doctors told him he needed to leave so his wife could rest. He returned first thing this morning to be with her and is still there.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett contributed to this report

Read the Virginia State Police statement regarding the accident after the jump:

For Immediate Release: March 11, 2010

TRACTOR-TRAILER CAUSES FOUR-VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASH
IN FAIRFAX COUNTY

FAIRFAX CO., Va. – An Ohio man has been charged in a four-vehicle crash that occurred Thursday afternoon (March 11, 2010) on Interstate 95 in Fairfax County. At 1:10 p.m., Virginia State Police Trooper Hindenlang responded to the crash that occurred in the northbound lanes of I-95 approximately 3/10 of a mile south of Route 7100.

Northbound traffic on I-95 near Route 7100 in Fairfax County was stop and go. As a 2005 Honda Odyssey began braking for the northbound traffic, it was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The impact forced the Honda Odyssey to rear-end the vehicle in front of it, a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was then forced into the next lane over where it struck a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt.

The driver and passenger of the Honda Odyssey, driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and driver of the Chevrolet Cobalt were all transported by ambulance to Fairfax Inova Hospital. None of the injuries is considered life-threatening. Every individual was wearing a safety belt.

The tractor-trailer driver, Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio, was charged with reckless driving. Snader was not injured in the crash. The tractor-trailer was loaded with rolls of plastic.

The two northbound lanes of I-95 were re-opened at approximately 3 p.m.

HONDA ODYSSEY DRIVER: Lana Reid Barringer, 48, of McClean, Va.
HONDA ODYSSEY PASSENGER: Landra G. Reid, 69, of Arizona
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE DRIVER: Michelle Helaire, 40, of Woodbridge, Va.
CHEVROLET COBALT DRIVER: Monika Krese, 57, of Dale City, Va.
TRACTOR-TRAILER DRIVER: Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio

###

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Cindy

Sending out thoughts and prayers from Las Vegas NV to the Reid Family. For all the haters out there with your nasty comments, be careful, what comes around usually goes around.

March 11, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  2. Michael

TO "Oba – Mao" who asks, "How does a random car get that close to the Senate leader's family?" Your silly question indicates just how little understanding you really have of the reality of life in Washington. We all...members of Congress and the Supreme Court, Hill staff, clerks at department stores, bartenders, teachers and kids who work at McDonalds share the roads and subways and sidewalks, and interact with each other on a daily basis like people do in just about any other town or city. A car accident can happen anywhere.

March 11, 2010 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  3. Joe Korinek

One word. Compassion. Compassion is the understanding that we are all human, and deserve respect.

Compassion is not giving a hand out, but a hand up.

Compassion is truly caring for another human and understanding that they have challenges and obstacles (we all have them) .

I wish no harm to anyone here. I most fervent desire is that all of us. all of us, take a good look at how we view our fellow humans.

March 11, 2010 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Can Harry Reid request that his family get a the Marxist Obamacare treatment instead of the regular care that patients normally receive.

March 11, 2010 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  5. meg doherty rn

My very best wishes for a full recovery for the Reid family.

Senator Reid, thank you for doing what you do every day to improve health care access for Americans. As a citizen and professional who has "seen" it all in health delivery, I appreciate you getting the issues out on the table and unfortunately, igniting the wrathe of those who do not agree.

March 11, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. Independent_me

Our prayers are with you and your family, Senator Reid.
    I know that this will encourage you to fight even harder for health care reform. Families across the US are facing difficulties such as this – without health care..
    God bless...

March 11, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  7. ruth & marty Orndorff

they are in our prayers hope they recover ok
    God bless

March 11, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. Jay

I don't like Senator Reid but I wish his family recovers as quickly and painlessly as possible. None of us would want anything less if our loved ones were affected.

March 11, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. Robert

Such a shame.... Hope for a speedy recovery for both...

March 11, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. Edward

First, lets pray for the family. Mr. Reid is a honest man. Lets all us give him and his our love.

Second, the US ranks below Costa Rica in health care. fact!

Russ limbaugh is going to Costa Rica for his health care!

Come on folks, health care in the US is dead.

March 11, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  11. Recreator

Our prayers and best wishes go out to Landra and Lana Reid.

March 11, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Jeremy G

I may not agree with many of Senator Reid's politics but I do hope his wife and daughter recover fully from this. I will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers!

March 11, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  13. Emily

I am so sad for this family. I hope everyone is ok and I send my blessings towards them.

March 11, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. Deb n Texas

Oh Sen. Reid, I hope you read this blog. I am sincerely praying for your wife and daughter. No one wants to hear news like this. You are such a nice and humble man and I'm sure your wife and daughter are as well. My family is cheering your family to a quick recovery.

March 11, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. Pam in Oregon

When loved ones are in danger or hurt, the feelings inside of your are pretty horrific. I am hopeful that Senator Reid's family survives with no physical or emotional encumbrances.

Pam in Oregon

March 11, 2010 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  16. Troi & Steve Nelson

Harry,

Steve & I send our very best and wish both Landra and Lana speedy recoveries.

Our thoughts are with you.

Yours,
    Troi & Steve

March 11, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  17. Toy B

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Reid family.

March 11, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

I'm keeping Senator Reid and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

March 11, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. m smith

condolences to the family hope both wife and daughter make a speedy recovery

March 11, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. John

I hope his wife and daughter are OK. I disagree with everything Harry Reid does but this is not the time or place to talk about that stuff.

God bless all of them.

March 11, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  21. Ken in NC

Senator Reid you and your family are in my prayers. I wish your wife and daughter GOD's speed in the healing process.

March 11, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. Mike in Kansas

Good thing he has that Socialist Government Supplied Heath Care. Wish I had it.

March 11, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Zumm

I wish the Reids speedy recovery and our Lord will perfect their health in Jesus Name.....Amen

March 11, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. CheerokeeAngel

Senator Reid and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

March 11, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |