March 11th, 2010

Reid's wife and daughter in car accident

Sen. Harry Reid's wife (pictured) and daughter were involved in a car accident Thursday in the Washington area.

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s wife broke her back and neck and his daughter suffered a neck injury in an auto accident, a spokesman said late Thursday afternoon.

“Their injuries are non-life threatening,” Jon Summers, Reid’s spokesman, said in a statement. The Nevada Democrat’s family was traveling along a “Washington, D.C. highway” when “their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck,” Summers said.

Full statement:

“Senator Reid’s wife, Landra, and daughter, Lana, were involved in an accident earlier today. They are being treated at a Washington-area hospital. While driving on a Washington, DC, highway, their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck. Mrs. Reid has broken nose, broken back and broken neck. Lana has a neck injury and facial lacerations. Both Mrs. Reid and Lana are conscious, can feel their extremities, and according to doctors their injuries are non-life threatening. Senator Reid has been to the hospital and appreciates the support he and his family are receiving from Nevadans and his colleagues in the Senate.”

UPDATE: Reid returned to Capitol Hill to participate in health care talks after visiting his wife and daughter in the hospital. Reid spokesman Jim Manley said that the senator’s wife continues to undergo testing.

“Let’s be clear, for those who may know, he loves that woman more than life itself,” Manley told reporters. “But she’s in good hands at the hospital and (he) felt the need to come back and work on this piece of legislation and he’ll be heading back to the hospital as quickly as possible. I just spoke to him and he’s looking forward to getting back to the hospital.”

Update Friday 11:48 a.m.: From Reid spokesman Jim Manley: “Mrs. Reid remains in serious condition. Lana was released last night. Sen. Reid and Landra’s family is coming to be by her side. Sen. Reid was at the hospital until almost midnight last night. He stayed there until the doctors told him he needed to leave so his wife could rest. He returned first thing this morning to be with her and is still there.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett contributed to this report

Read the Virginia State Police statement regarding the accident after the jump:

For Immediate Release: March 11, 2010

TRACTOR-TRAILER CAUSES FOUR-VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASH
IN FAIRFAX COUNTY

FAIRFAX CO., Va. – An Ohio man has been charged in a four-vehicle crash that occurred Thursday afternoon (March 11, 2010) on Interstate 95 in Fairfax County. At 1:10 p.m., Virginia State Police Trooper Hindenlang responded to the crash that occurred in the northbound lanes of I-95 approximately 3/10 of a mile south of Route 7100.

Northbound traffic on I-95 near Route 7100 in Fairfax County was stop and go. As a 2005 Honda Odyssey began braking for the northbound traffic, it was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The impact forced the Honda Odyssey to rear-end the vehicle in front of it, a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was then forced into the next lane over where it struck a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt.

The driver and passenger of the Honda Odyssey, driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and driver of the Chevrolet Cobalt were all transported by ambulance to Fairfax Inova Hospital. None of the injuries is considered life-threatening. Every individual was wearing a safety belt.

The tractor-trailer driver, Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio, was charged with reckless driving. Snader was not injured in the crash. The tractor-trailer was loaded with rolls of plastic.

The two northbound lanes of I-95 were re-opened at approximately 3 p.m.

HONDA ODYSSEY DRIVER: Lana Reid Barringer, 48, of McClean, Va.
HONDA ODYSSEY PASSENGER: Landra G. Reid, 69, of Arizona
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE DRIVER: Michelle Helaire, 40, of Woodbridge, Va.
CHEVROLET COBALT DRIVER: Monika Krese, 57, of Dale City, Va.
TRACTOR-TRAILER DRIVER: Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio

###

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Norma Labno

03/11/10

Dear Senator Reid:

I am in tears to read your wife, Landra; and
    daughter, Lana; were seriously injured in an
    auto accident today.

I am grateful their injuries are not life threatening
    but they sound very serious.

The tears will quiet so I can pray that God restores
    both of them to good health. May they be whole and well
    as soon as humanly possible.

My family has lived in Las Vegas, NV for 15 yrs. and
    we hold you and yours in the very highest possible
    regard.

Now is not the time for politics or political statements!
    Now is the time for prayers.

"God Bless You and Yours Now and Always..."

Sincerely,
    Norma Labno & Family

March 11, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Raymond Takashi Swenson

I add my prayers for Senator Reid's wife and daughter.

All three of my kids have been in serious accidents that totaled their cars, fortunately coming through all of them without serious injury (thank goodness for seat belts and air bags). I used to live in the Washington, DC, area and it was crazy driving on the Beltway back then, transitioning from high speed chaos and lane changing to sudden stop and go traffic. And among the worst drivers are (some of) the long haul truckers.

I completely disagree with Senator Reid's views on the health care bills and climate change and a lot of other legislation, but I also have every reason to believe that he dearly loves his wife and daughter and is sincere in his public policy views. So I also pray for him at this time of worry and distress.

March 11, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  3. Perusing-through

MY SINCERE PRAYERS,

Senator Reid, you and your family have my prayers.

March 11, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. mms55

prayers to your family mr. reid.god bless.

March 11, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Milos

I'm an independent conservative who votes republican, but I hope his wife recovers from the car accident. Neither the left nor the right should use politics to tak advantage of this bad situation Reid's family is in now. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

March 11, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. Mimi

I want to wish Harry's wife and daughter a successful recovery. We appreciate all your hard work here in Nevada and for health care reform. I can't believe the nasty, terrible things some people are saying about his family. Politics is one thing...we are talking family here people. And then we wonder why our country is in the shape it is. Where is the compassion? Would you like someone to say that about your family?

March 11, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  7. Albert Torcaso

I hope that they will make a full recovery soon and want Senator Reid to know that we applaud you in your going back to work on the health care bill, it shows how dedicated some members of Congress are when it comes to doing what is best and right for our nation. I do hope they are getting better already.

Albert Torcaso

March 11, 2010 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  8. Old White Virginia Female

I do hope that the Reid family can have a speedy recovery, and I deeply appreciate Senator Reid's willingness to try to limit distractions from what is so important for the American people in the passage of health care legislation. I hope ALL of his efforts in this regard bear fruit, his wife and daughter mending quick and health care reform getting passed quickly.

March 11, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  9. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Personal thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Reid and his family in this difficult time and wish for his wife and daughter a very quick recovery.

March 11, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. normajean

This poor man has too much to worry about right now. We all wish his wife and daughter a speedy and complete recovery. I can't even imagine having loved ones hurt like this. Can anything be more painfull?

March 11, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  11. Jon Krieger

I sincerely hope and pray that they recover from their injuries.Senator Reid i'm sorry to hear about this happening to your family.

March 11, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |