March 12th, 2010

Oh Canada! Gibbs pays up on Olympic bet

Washington (CNN) – White House press secretary Robert Gibbs made good on a bet with his Canadian counterpart Friday, showing up for his daily press briefing wearing an Olympic Team Canada jersey.

Gibbs lost a bet with Dimitri Soudas, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper's press secretary, over the winner of the February 28 Canada-U.S. men's gold medal hockey game. Canada won the game in overtime, 3-2.

Gibbs' jersey had "39" on the back - the number worn by Ryan Miller, the starting goalie for the U.S. hockey team.

Gibbs quickly pulled off the Canadian jersey, however, to reveal a U.S. Olympic hockey jersey underneath.

Had the U.S. team won, Soudas would have been required to wear an American jersey at one of his briefings.

Gibbs said the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa had been instructed to deliver a case of Molson Canadian and Yuengling Lager to Harper's office. President Barack Obama and Harper wagered a case of beer on the gold medal game.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Robert Gibbs
  1. Big Jim

American politicize everything. It was a good-natured bet and the better team won! Too much Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh for some of you.

March 12, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  2. Canadian Girl

Naturally a Team Canada fan because I'm Canadian but I wore my Sabres hat while watching the game!!!
    We are shadowed by so much negativity and horrible world events that YES are more important, but we need this "fun" to help us through.
    Bravo Mes Amies!
    I am Canadian, but I watch CNN, love a US hockey team and still have my 9/11 pin on my Jacket!
    God Bless America!

March 12, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. Jordan

I think this is pretty hilarious. What a guy. I wish Canada had a government spokesman like him.

March 12, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. AJ in Halifax

Great game with our hometown hero getting the winning goal! Good to see Gibbs making good on the bet. And, I was glad to see an American Canada final. Millions of Canadians hit the streets...maybe in Russia it'll be your turn...great game by a very underrated great American team. Go Canada Go!

March 12, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. Jerry - Florida

CNN, is this really news? This is another NObama trained liar. This guy has a good sense of humor? Are you kidding me? Since he is so intent on lying and covering up for NObama, this moron really doesn't know what humor is.

March 12, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  6. terry,va.

Too bad the fool won't move to Canada and take Obummie with him.

March 12, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  7. Willy Brown

Gibbs why do you move to Canada. You will get your free health care oh and take the community organizer in chief with you.

March 12, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  8. Yuengling's not a Panda

I still think the bet should have promised a case of Yuengling to every off-age Canadian ; )

What's with all the uptight folks on here?

March 12, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  9. coffeepot

Yuengling! Harper is the real winner here.

March 12, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. Gary, Sacramento

Just wondering... were those personal bets, or official state bets? Did Gibbs and Obama shell out the cash for those losses, or did I pay for the jersey and beer?

March 12, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  11. David20720

Gibbs should have kept the jersey on longer.

Congrats to Canada, that was a fantastic game and we stayed in it to the end, but couldn’t pull it off. Almost though; that goal at 24 seconds left had to have all of Canada screaming. It was a great game between two great teams.

March 12, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  12. jmack9

Didn't look or act any more stupid than he normally does.

March 12, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  13. Patriot

Shucks – great point and I agree.

I am from Western New York. Ryan Miller plays for the Sabres while Lindy Ruff, who coaches the Sabres, was an assistant coach for the Canadians. Wish the US won but it was a great game between two very worthy opponents.

Congrats to all of them.

And to you wing nuts trying to make it anything more, well, get a grip and get a life.

March 12, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |