March 12th, 2010

Reid's wife undergoes neck surgery after wreck

Senator Reid's wife Landra underwent surgery Friday in the Washington area.
Senator Reid's wife Landra underwent surgery Friday in the Washington area.

(CNN) – The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid underwent neck surgery Friday after being injured with their daughter in a four-vehicle wreck in suburban Washington a day earlier, her surgeon said.

Since the surgery, Landra Reid, 69, has been able "to get out of bed, her pain is well-controlled and she's able to swallow some," said Dr. Elizabeth Franco of Inova Fairfax Hospital.

She can move her arms and legs, but is expected to go through physical therapy before being released in a few days, Franco said.

Reid's wife broke her neck, a vertebra in her lower back and her nose, the doctor said.

The couple's adult daughter, Lana Reid Barringer of McLean, Virginia, suffered a neck injury and facial lacerations, the senator's spokesman, Jon Summers, said Thursday. Lana Reid was released from the hospital Thursday night.

The wreck occurred in the northbound lanes of Interstate 95 in Fairfax County at 1:10 p.m., when the 2005 Honda Odyssey driven by the daughter began braking in stop-and-go traffic and was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer, according to a Virginia State Police report.

"The impact forced the Honda Odyssey to rear-end the vehicle in front of it, a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee," it said. "The Jeep Grand Cherokee was then forced into the next lane over where it struck a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt."

The drivers of the Jeep and the Chevrolet also were taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital. Their injuries were not considered life-threatening.

The driver of the truck, Allan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio, was charged with reckless driving, the police report said. He was not injured in the crash. The tractor-trailer was carrying rolls of plastic.

The 70-year-old senator visited his wife and daughter shortly after hearing of the accident at 2:15 p.m., then returned to his office in the Capitol to work on health-care legislation, said Reid spokesman Jim Manley.

He was back at the hospital later in the afternoon and stayed until midnight, then returned early Friday to be there for his wife's surgery, Summers said.

Summers told reporters Landra Reid's recovery is the senator's toppriority, but "his plans have not changed at all" in Congress.

"Landra and I have been married for 50 years - she is the love of my life," Reid said in a statement read by Summers at a news conference. "And I look forward to her making a quick recovery as soon as possible."

Reid met his wife at Basic High School in Henderson, Nevada, during the mid-1950s. They married in 1959 and had their first child, Lana, two years later. Three boys followed. The couple has 16 grandchildren.

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett and Brianna Keilar contributed to this report.

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

God bless and keep Mrs. Reid, my prayers are with you.

March 12, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Pkm gook luck mrs reed i know russ limbum and mike stell do not want you to get well this is one time we should all come together for harry reid

March 12, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. Anonymous

I am no support of Harry Reid but I would never wish harm on him or his family. All the bloggers with negative comments should be ashamed of themselves. It's a shame how hatefull people can be over political views. I hope the Reids make a full recovery.

March 12, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. GI Joe

Our faiths are not the same, but we pray to the same God.

Senator Reid – I hope your wife recovers very nicely and I hope your daughter is well on the way to healing.

God be with you and your family.

March 12, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Bea

God speed in the Recovery of your wife and daughter Mr. Reid. May God comfort you at this time.

March 12, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. jean2009

Wishing Mrs. Reid and Landra a quick recovery, and thank you Harry Reid for all that you are doing for the American people. Blessings.

March 12, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. A Republican

I do not always agree with the Senator but I send him and his wife my prayers for her speedy recovery.

March 12, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. Kevin H

My thoughts and best wishes are with both Senator Reid and his wife as well as his daughter during this difficult time. I am confident that Mrs. Reid will make a full and speedy recovery. At any stage in life this type of injury is very difficult. I'm certain Mrs. Reid will face some challenges in the coming days but I know with the love of a close and caring family that she will recovery in no time at all. My best wishes for the entire Reid family. (P. S. Yes folks, let's keep the incivility to a minimum this poor lady and her daughter deserve some dignity and respect, not to mention the Senator and the rest of his family.)

March 12, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. D.D.

I wish her and the family all the best.

March 12, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  10. Stephanie -Maryland

My prayers are with you & your family, Sen. Reid. May Our LORD strengthen Ms. Reid, & Lana, with HIS Grace as both are healing. GOD Bless you.

March 12, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  11. Monster Zero

Dog gone it, truly sorry about your family.

March 12, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |