March 13th, 2010

Brown slams Obama, Dems for 'this disastrous detour'

Washington (CNN) - In this week's Republican address, freshman Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, says the White House and congressional Democrats have focused on passing an unpopular health care reform bill while the economy and the jobs outlook needed the utmost attention from national leaders.

(Read Brown's full remarks after the jump)

Full transcript of weekly Republican address for March 13, 2010:

“Hello, I’m United States Senator Scott Brown from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

“When the people of my state elected me in January, they sent more than a senator to Washington – they sent a message. Across party lines, the voters told politicians in Washington to get its priorities right.

“And from my travels and conversation with people throughout this country, they told me that they want their President and Congress to focus on creating jobs and reviving America’s economy. Instead, for more than a year now, we have seen a bitter, destructive, and endless drive to completely transform America’s health care system.

“In January of last year, unemployment hit 7.2 percent and our economy was hurting badly. But, early in President Obama’s term, he and the Democratic leadership of Congress made takeover of health care their first priority.

“Today, times are even tougher across our nation when it comes to our economy. Nearly one in ten Americans are still out of work. And still, the President and Congress are focused on ramming through their health-care bill, whatever it takes, whatever the cost.

“Maybe you remember what President Obama promised in his State of the Union address. He said he was going to finally focus on jobs and the economy for the remainder of this year. I applauded him for that. Well, here it is, it’s almost spring. And what is he out there talking about again? That same 2,700-page, multi-trillion dollar health care legislation.

“So, an entire year has gone to waste. Millions of Americans have lost their jobs, and many more jobs are in danger. Even now, the President still hasn't gotten the message.

“Somehow, the greater the public opposition to the health care bill, the more determined they seem to force it on us anyway. Their attitude shows Washington at its very worst – the presumption that they know best, and they’re going to get their way whether the American people like it or not.

“And, when politicians start thinking like that, they don’t let anything get in their way – not public opinion, not the rules of fair play, not even their own promises.

“They pledged transparency. Instead, we have a health care bill tainted by secrecy, concealed cost, and full of backroom deals– and that’s just not right. They should do better. The American people expect more.

“They pledged a true bipartisan effort. Instead, they have resorted to bending the rules, and they now intend to seize control of health care in America on a strict party-line vote.

“In speech after speech on his health care plan, the President has tried to convince us that what he is proposing will be good for America. But, how can it be good for America if it raises taxes by a half trillion dollars and costs a trillion dollars or more to implement? In addition, how can it be good if it takes another half a trillion dollars away from seniors on Medicare, and still includes all the backroom deals you have been hearing about for months?

“Well, for the past year or more, the new establishment in Washington has tried again and again to sell this plan to the American people. But the Americans aren't buying it, and for good reason. And now, what’s going on is a last, desperate power play. They actually tell us that passing the bill is necessary, if only to prove that something can get done in Washington.

“Well, I haven’t been here very long, but, I can tell you this much already: Nothing has distracted the attention and energy of the nation’s capital more than this disastrous detour. And, the surest way to return to the people’s business is to listen to the people themselves: We need to drop this whole scheme of federally controlled health care, start over, and work together on real reforms at the state level that will contain costs and won’t leave America trillions of dollars deeper in debt.

“This, above all, was the message that the people of my state sent to the President and the Congress in the election over a month ago.

“You know some of my Democratic colleagues, you know, are being leaned on mighty hard right now. Speaker Pelosi and others are handing down their marching orders, telling them to vote for this bill no matter what. Rarely have elected leaders been so intent on defying the public will. For many members of Congress, the time for choosing is near – do what the party leadership demands, or do what the people have asked you to do. If my colleagues don’t mind some advice from a newcomer, I’d suggest going with the will of the people.

“After all, from the very beginning of this debate, the American people have called it correctly. In every part of the country, Republicans and Democrats have agreed on serious, straightforward, commonsense health care reform. They expect us in Washington to do the same – working together, acting fairly and by the rules, and staying focused on the need to make the American economy as strong as it can be. That is the business that brought me here on an unexpected journey to Washington. And, it’s the responsibility of everyone sent here to serve our country. We can do better – and I challenge my colleagues and the President to do just that.

“I’m Senator Scott Brown and thank you very much for listening.”

Filed under: Democrats • GOP • Health care • Popular Posts • President Obama • Scott Brown
  1. Pedro

Hmm, when you won that Senate seat a wide majority (>80%) of Massachusetts residents were in favor of a very liberal form of health care reform. In fact, they were calling for a single payer plan.

March 13, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. ATL Guy

The Republican Party will have to answer for why they've put the interests of the health insurance companies ahead of the people that need health insurance coverage. The Republicans are trying to sound confident that if the legislation passes that it will be bad for the Democrats – I have a strong feeling that the Republicans realize that if the legislation passes it will be very, very bad for the Republicans. They'll be forever linked to the bad behaviors practiced by the insurance companies and for not wanting to make those practices illegal. Come November, the Republicans will focus on anything but healthcare reform.

March 13, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. stop the nonsense

For a party that consantly loves to say we need to run our country by The Constiution, they certainly seem to want to circumvent its principals.
    One man -one vote- thats what puts our elected officials in office.
    The representitive votes as the single vote of their respective state of district. Yet Republicans seem to forget that the simple majority is what our fore-fathers set up as the rule.
    In 2008 Democrats took control of the house, senate and Whit House to enact this very type of legislation. Had lies and fear tactics not been used, most americans would STILL want this bill. As a matter of fact, most still do WANT what is in the bill, but they have been convinced that there are loopholes to put themunder the governments thumb.
    WAKE UP AMERICA- READ THE BILL- WE NEED HEALTHCARE REFORM- NOW!

March 13, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. I WANT MINES

A M E N

the dem orats spent too much of their time being fricking arrogant ith their noses in the air and filling themselves with their selves they a waste of human skin and wasting the air that others need to breath

they make me want to vomit

March 13, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

He's right, the priority the first year should have been jobs, jobs, jobs. In stead we got a collection of liberal wet dreams like universal health care. A true leader needs to know what the real priorities are to best help the country; and if that means putting pet projects on the back burner, so be it.

March 13, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Hall for Obama

Maybe to Mr. Brown it is a waste but to me it is not, you see I lost me job in 2007 and I do not have insurance because I have diabetes and Heart trouble, the only thing I wish is that the Dem should have ram this health care up his behind he got his insurance and I help pay for it when I had a job. I will get another job but I am not sure I will be able to get health care, just like me there are many just like me. I hope the DEM do not listen you because I am not and I hope no one ever vote for you again.

March 13, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Hurry November 2 - Please hurry

The November 2 elections cannot get here soon enough. America made a disastrous mistake in 2008, which now has to be corrected in the November 2010 elections, and again in 2012.

March 13, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Onn

I 100% agree, Brown's a smart man. He knows what is important to the American people and what's a waste of time. I'm thinking Senate majoirty leader when the Republicans take back the Senate coming up.

March 13, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Charlie in Maine

Thanks Massachsetts. It wasn't bad enough to hear rthis crap out of a Texan or from Mississippi. But here in New England even our Republicans are civil..Or they were until now

March 13, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. Dallas

I for one Thank you Senator for coming from nowhere and beating another lib. Thank you for saying what the people feel.

March 13, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. Stallion

This guy understands!! I really feel like this senator knows what I feeling about the state of the union. He has put it into words beautifully. He's got my vote.

March 13, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. Laughing in Florida

The majority of voting Americans put Obama in office FOR this agenda – we wanted health care reform. And when it's done and the smoke clears, the new 'silent majority' out there will not bat an eyelash. The 'screaming minority' can make all the noise they want, and then they too will quiet down as they benefit in the future. We just want what your state already has, Mr. Brown, so stop being a tool.

March 13, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. aware

Senator Brown is correct, and the bright new face of yesterday is now the obfuscating, arrogant, demagogic politician with no judgment, common sense or wisdom! :(

We can do much better America!

March 13, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. Donna from Colorado Springs

Why are the Republicans so dead set against healthcare reform? Could it be because they would lose something if it passes? It's very suspicious to me that they seem to be scared about this bill passing. It certainly isn't because they want the best for this country as they have thrown every roadblock in its way. This is the Grand Obstructionist Party as its best! Their answer is to make us scrap what we have and start over.......knowing darn well that if that happens, people might just throw their hands up in disgust and give into Republican tantrums and demands! They do seem to think that they are still in charge of the country. don"t they? I have absolutely no use for any of them and I'm so tired of politics right now that I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 13, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. Perry

Mr. Brown, You should preface your "unpopular" health care plan statement with "This plan is very unpopular with a minority of Americans after you see that they agree with the individual components of the plan".

Can't you see what is going on? When words like "death panels" "socialism" and "higher taxes for the middle class" are bantered about to people who don't really check into these things, why wouldn't the reaction to the overall term "Obama's Healthcare Plan" be negative?

But ask them if they want an end to pre-existing conditions, an end to life time caps, an end to being kicked off insurance when they get seriously ill, and the beginning of a program that will reduce the deficit by $110 million. Then see what they say.

What's worse, it is the rich and powerful who use the Jedi Mind Trick to get the gullible to advocate positions against their best interests. Very sad.

March 13, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Greg

Whole year was not a waste. It exposaed the republicans for what they really are., "The party of no". If the year was a waste, it because they wasted it by not being constructive on anything,. They acted like a bunch of children. If they can't get thier way they take thier ball and prevent anythging from being accomplished.

We, the Americcan people see them for what they really are. uncaring, hateful and selfish.

March 13, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. Steve

Yep. We the GOP blocked the health care reform and now it is time to move on. Lets see how we can stall and block education and ecomonic reform. We have proven tactics that work. It does not really matter what the public needs as long as the GOP comes out on top for the upcoming elections. Long live the GOP! Remember that fear works .... use it where ever possible.

Paid for by the Lobbies of America.

March 13, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. Linda

I do believe Senator Brown is trying to follow in the footsteps of that lying moron Sarah Palin. How in the world can you work with someone who has made it clear that they want you to fail and have no intention of working with you no matter what?

March 13, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. Denna

Senator Brown: With all due respect, the health care bill is also important. You may not know this, but many people have lost their jobs AND health care. Actually, health care and jobs should have been packaged as one bundle. But that doesn't matter does it? You and your ilk would have vetoed it anyway, right? Instead of wasting time talking to "The People", why don't you talk to your colleagues about cooperating. After all, all of us voted for all of you, on both sides of the aisle, to work for US. You've, however, gotten YOUR marching orders from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and your other masters. At least Ms. Pelosi was actually elected. Now be a good boy and run along and get a pat on the head from Rush.

March 13, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. Donnatella

I agree that they have wasted a lot of time on healthcare, I just wish that he had more alternatives instead of just bashing.

March 13, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. willard bullock

I am belived that brown are keep great than obama

March 13, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. Willy Brown

Good job Senator Brown.

March 13, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Texas Jack

I hope he spoke on a third grade level so Obama supporters can understand. OBAMA's Health Plan will not fly. Get it through your thick skulls, MORONS. It takes time when you're talking this kind of money. This plan needs a thorough checking out so no individual groups get hurt. You can't just in two weeks behind closed doors put together a 2000 page plan and believe you can get it passed. I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN. I USED TO BE ONE OF YOU IGNORANT DEMOCRATS UNTIL I REALIZED WHAT A DOWNWARD ROAD YOU'RE TRAVELING. Now call me-myself and I. If I can't get my fellow Americans to rid the White House of all the fools who have been there for years then they will get what they deserve. They've got Obama and his thrugs, Pelosi, Hillary, Reid, etc now. We hired them now it's time to fire them.

March 13, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

The man is absolutely right!

March 13, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |