March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Cyn

Some of you are idiots, what does being a demoncrate have to do with the lust and deceitfulness of mankind. HOW STUPID!!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. AJ

Edwards mistress is a TART and should be hanging her head in shame rather than giving interviews. Edwards is a pig but he's a married pig and she should have known better even if he apparently did not.

March 15, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Robert Dick Cloos

Wilt March 15th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

Classic Democrat love story. Cheat & lie to get elected and satisfy any of your own selfish personal needs along the way. Just in case any of you were naive enough to think that Edwards was, "All about the people."

Unlike Ensign and Sanford, Edwards didn't get elected did he?

March 15, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. Stan Prentice

WILT, this is NOT a Democrat or Republican thing. How on Earth can you think that sexual behavior runs along party lines? Have you forgotten about Governor Mark Sanford? Sexual indescretions have a long, long history in both parties.

March 15, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Jackie MC

If I were Elizabeth Edwards I would take a clue from Lorena Bobbitt.
    Both of them deserve the karma that is coming their way. Skanks!

March 15, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. John Hennessy

You people need to get a life!

These (2) people are doing what every person in corporations, Wall Street, Hollywood, churches, both houses of Congress, your neighbors, do each and every day... the only difference, of course, is that they got caught and the press – for ratings – is milking this like the Taliban.

I do not agree with their behavior, on the other hand, I am not going to climb on top of my moral soap box and pretend some sort of outrageous moral indignation...

Amerika: the land of the terminally sexually repressed hypocrites!

March 15, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. Laura Jones

Someday, her daughter will read this. My won't she be proud! Poor kid has two lame parents.

March 15, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. janet passley-clarke

How more detail do we really need? All three major players in this drama made fatal mistakes. No one is innocent and all are accountable.

March 15, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. LKinda Hegwood

I now think less of her than before. The pics say it all. How low does some one go for fame and sex?

March 15, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Bob

We should all remember "He that is without sin should cast the first stone"

March 15, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Voice of Reason

Politics is turning into one sick soap opera.

March 15, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Elen

Bad morals and judgment isn't a partisan quality. Democrats and Republicans are equally guilty. Let's have an honest debate with respect to the two parties when it comes to poor judgment.

March 15, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. One Dollar Please!!!

Rielle Hunter is not worth 2 dead flies!!!

March 15, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. orionsway

funny, one entry said "classic democrat love story" blah blah blah.....yeah, well then what's the classic republican love story? Get real, people are people. This isn't a political issue, its a human issue that happened to politicians. Jeesh people. You make me sick.

March 15, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Debby

She is nothing but a CHESSY BIMBO. She isn't even attractive no chin.

March 15, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |