March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Ace

Classy so classy

March 15, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Jimminy Crickets!! What on earth is this Harlequin Romance novel crap doing on the POLITICAL TICKER???! It was embarrassing just to read it. Poor Mrs. Edwards. On the other hand this bimbo certainly takes the spotlight away from America's Numero Uno Bimbo: Sarah Palin.

Yeeesch!!

March 15, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

What a skank.

March 15, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  4. snood

He should of said something before.and the news should of said something before the Iowa primary he took many of Hillarys votes and thats one reason we have the bum in office we do now and not the real qualified leader.

March 15, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. sick of loser complainers

This is the most disgusting article I read in a while. CNN why is this news? who cares what this woman has to say about her affair with edwards? I really don't see the news in this.

March 15, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. No Incumbents 2010

How much was Homewrecker Hunter paid for this tell-all piece of trash? This must be very painful to Elizabeth Edwards.

March 15, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Michele

Disgusting!! And to tell all now only shows what kind of self-absorbed person she really is. How horrible for Elizabeth and her children.

March 15, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Mattski

Lol typical. All I can say is, Mr. Edwards, you reap what you sow. GL dude (although it's probably too late for that).

March 15, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Ferret out the BS

Its called "HORNY" you ding-dong.

March 15, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Sniffit

Thank you CNN. Now that it's gone, I realize that I truly didn't need to keep breakfast in my stomach after all.

March 15, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Mike

There's a name for single women that knowingly sleep with married men.

March 15, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. Dean

I can see why John was tapping that. "You're so hot," Rielle Hunter

March 15, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. greenfish

Inappropriate picture and topic of discussion for the mother of a child who will someday have to read and see this trash. Thoughtless and indulgent.

March 15, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. diridi

enough of this skit...ok, concentrate on passing health care and financial reform...

March 15, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Jerry

He is a democrat and will be forgiven by his party, that's what they do.

March 15, 2010 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  16. Avo Shlomo

Edward you are a bonified idiot who thinks with one head and it is obvious what head you used. since you are into women of low IQ" Cerytainly that does not inclused Elizabeth" have you proposed to Sarah Palain yet?

March 15, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  17. ann

What belief systems? You made the choice to go to the hotel room of a married man!

March 15, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  18. alessandra

She & he are such trash. Too bad Elizabeth wasted so much of her time on him.

March 15, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. Julie

NO respect for this woman what so ever, nor do I feel sorry for her. Both her and Edwards were too self centered to give a dang about the damages they KNEW they were going to do to Elizabeth and the children. I feel sorry for the little girl, to be raised by such a woman... or such a man!!!

March 15, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. Laverne

Out of all the things of importance to report on, this is the kind of trash that gets attention. There is something definitely wrong with our media, but again I guess this is the kind of trash people much prefer to read when they should be reading the healthcare bill understanding what is at stake if it does not pass!

March 15, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Mike

I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone was waiting for this woman to "break her silence".

March 15, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  22. Tam

She has no shame. Why give yourself more publicity? Just like Tiger's floozies. This is something to be proud of?! What about your dignity? what about your families? Ugh.

March 15, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  23. Elinor Cullen

"Against all of my belief systems" ??

Oh, please.

Apparently sleeping with a married man, a few hours after meeting him,
    is OK in her belief system?

The world was a better place when women like this were shunned.

March 15, 2010 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  24. Jon Craig

I can't recall reading such a self-serving interview. Apparently all Rielle Hunter wanted to do was to make John Edwards a better, more integrated person. The pull of love was simply too strong to resist, despite his marriage and family. Any suggestion that she was responsible for creating chaos in a family that already had its challenges is dismissed. She was an innocent bystander, misunderstood and mistreated by others. It's quite a story.

March 15, 2010 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  25. Janet

Both are the epitome of immorality in politics. This Democrat is thoroughly disgusted and thinks both parties to this should fade quietly and stay out of the public eye. Completely shameful.

March 15, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |