March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Nicey

The sad thing is her daughter will pay the price for Rielle's sins.....that's how life is!

March 15, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. Hewmus B. Kidin

Why is this on the political page? It should be on entertainment or some other topic. Edwards is political history. He's not involved in any political process. Another example of CNN's devolving from real news into a a tabloid corporate driven organization. Sad. I didn't read the article just responding the to headline. "Man bites Dog!!"

March 15, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. Becca

Hopefully no one will vote for him, or buy this magazine with her in it. What a disgrace.

March 15, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Delta

She got her 15 minutes!!!!

March 15, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Hey Edwards

PANTS ON THE GROUND
    Head turned around
    Looking like a fool
    With your pants on the ground

March 15, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Ann

Edwards was such a gift to Obama. Splitting the votes in the primary.. and next, having this Hunter garbage. Perfect plan.. it smells like Axelrod

March 15, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. Nevetsky

Reilly Hunter and John Edwards are two sides of the same coin - narcissists, sexual addicts, and amoral opportunists. What the article does not relate is that they met in a bar of a swanky New York City hotel, where Reille hung out to meet well-healed men.

March 15, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. Steve, New York City

John Edwards might be a low-life and a two-face (considering what he did to his wife), but I must confess . . .Rielle Hunter is a HOTTIE!

March 15, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Carole

I have one word for both Ms. Hunter and Mr. Edwards. KARMA!!!!!!!!!!
    To think I was on board for Edwards to win, I was fooled. I thought what a smart, honest, kind man this is and what a great husband....when will we ever be able to trust politicians???????

March 15, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. jerseylil

What a classless opportunist! If she really cared about Quinn and how the baby would view her parents in the future, Rielle Hunter would Not have done this interview. Yes, she has a story but salacious details can wait out of respect for everyone involved. Edwards, louse that he is, is still married! Elizabeth doesn’t deserve this, no wife does! Why stick a knife in her heart all over again? And why do that to her children (old enough to understand this even if Quinn is too young now). And remember, Rielle, a man who cheats so easily on his wife (especially while she is raising his children, working on his campaign, all the while getting painful cancer treatments!) will be very likely to do the same again. Thoroughly disgusted with John Edwards too!

March 15, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. amie

My thought is that they are perfect for each other. They both think they are much sexier than they actually are. Get Over Yourself!!!

March 15, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Tonya

============
    What belief system! This is low budget and trashy of her to speak out like this. Elizabeth Edwards is dying...Doesn't she get it????? How selfish of her AND John Edwards for taking Elizabeth through this...

March 15, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Charlie in Maine

Wow! Just cause the Dems are right on policy does not give them a pass on morality. Neither party should get a pass on that.

March 15, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. ted

Just another fool that can't keep his thing in his pants and live up to the vows made at the altar with his wife. Elizabeth should sue the jerk for everything he has and he shoudl be made to live with his soul mate the jerk.

March 15, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Independent One

She is soooooo disgusting

March 15, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. Zammo

John, my MAN! You go, boy! There is nothing more rewarding than seeing an empowered man taking control of his sexuality.

Oh, wait... that should read:

Rielle, you go, grrl! There is nothing more rewarding than seeing an empowered woman taking control of her sexuality.

It's so hard to keep up with the political correctness.

March 15, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. GI Joe

Who cares !! She is NOT in politics and John Edwards will never again be in politics.

I want to know what's happening with current senator ensign and his payments to his mistress, her husband and child. HE is still sitting in DC making laws for (or against) us. What is happening with the FBI investigation? Shouldn't he get out of politics until the investigation is over?

March 15, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. Tina

The plan for Andrew Young to claim paternity went "against all my belief systems"–!!!! I suppose your belief systems didn't include sleeping with another man's wife–not just once, but repeatedly. Wow.

March 15, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. GI Joe

What??? !! She is NOT in politics and John Edwards will never again be in politics.

March 15, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. should I be surpirsed?

after watching this idiot's smug attitude and know-it-all demeanor on some debate or another...I found his patently fake smile that seemed indelibly etched on his ugly mug particularly annoying.

It was all about you in the end wasn't it Edwards. Your political ambition as well as your personal ambitions. Nothing to do with constituents or public service. Like every other pathetic politician who has ever come down the line, it was about your ego trip. Well you buffoon, you made your bed, now sleep in it (whoops, you already did!).

His sense of entitlement regarding the presidency was laughable. He makes Hillary Clinton look like the Dalai Lama.

As far as the chick goes. If you are going to throw away your political career and your marriage, you'd think you you could have done a bit better. A stripper maybe? He's much prettier than she is if you know what I mean.

The hell with them both. Lets move on to something relevant like how we are going to get out of this economic mess.

March 15, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. State of Tennessee

Why would this hottie want to sleep with a raving homosexual like John Edwards? I guess she thought she could convert him, but was obviously not successful.

March 15, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Tina

Okay, I mean "another woman's husband." I was so thrown off by the comment about Young claiming paternity I had a momentary lapse in gender!

March 15, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. sara

Why are you making this a political thing. It's called free will on his/her part. Nothing more, nothing less. They are both at fault. If Edwards even cared or was in love, with his wife and family, he never would have bothered with hunter. Lets face it he was thinking with his brain (we all know which one) not his heart. Neither one of them have a sense of self worth.

March 15, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Bob Ramos

While I hate writing bad about someone dealing with cancer, here goes.

During the primaries, Elizabeth Edwards, in public, stood by John's side and proclaimed John to be a paragon of virture. She wanted to be First Lady so bad that she voluntarily lied to the country about him. She did that knowing full well his character. Hard to feel sorry for her.

March 15, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Pat in IL

".......because it went against all my belief systems...." WHAT? It's astounding that having someone lie about paternity trumps not only adultry, but in doing so, ruining the family of a woman with probably terminal cancer. What a selfish idiot. Also, John portends to be a Christian, but a true Christian learns to resist the temptations to sin.
    Secularly, too, all I can say is "what idiots". Neither one of them respected family or responsibility enough to keep their stupid pants on, and that just shows what selfish good-for-nothings they are. If either one of them made that blatant and self-serving-at-the-moment decision, I have to wonder what else in either of their lives they cheated on or about.

March 15, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |