March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Denna

Shut up. In days gone by, the mistress was usually as invisible as possible, even if there was a child involved.

March 15, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Dem in AZ

There are alot of politicians that think the world belongs to them and that they are powerful. From a winner to a 0. It hurts to think I might have voted for the loser. from Edwards on the Dem side to Craig on the Republican side. disgusting.

March 15, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. Stryker

Another example of fallen ethics and morality in America.

March 15, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. sam

Her mother must be and some day her child will be so proud. Both Edwards and Hunter have received far more attention at this point than is civil. If a grown up doesn't come forward to raise this child... I will!

March 15, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Elaine

For once in my life I agree with what the Arabs (Muslims) do. Couples like these two have their heads cut off. Now wouldn't that be nice.

March 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  6. Texas Jack

Why are you still commenting on this scum bag and his money for hire mistress.

March 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. Dave

Seems like there are two types of politicians: those who got caught and those who have not (yet).
    It's so funny how every so often, the general population is so much in love with some politicians "du jour" with certain acquired charisma, ignoring their obvious character flaws. I am amazed how very intelligent people fall for it again and again. Their fall "in love" with politicians reminds me of this story of falling "in love" of Ms. Hunter.

March 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. deb

OMG, what a sleazebag this opportunist is! She has no shame! She slept with Edwards a few hours after meeting him (what's this "I was terrified" crap?) and Edwards is just another power happy jerk with "entitlement" mentality. They always think the rules don't apply to them because they are "special". BOTH of them knew exactly what they were doing and neither one of them cared about consequences. They are both narcissistic, pathetic excuses for human beings.

March 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. lucy

The audacity of some people is incredible. He has a campaign for President and he actually thought no one would find out about his dirty little secret? I think they deserve each other. He is so full of himself, (maybe because he is so hot) and she is here for the show.
    If she truly loved him she would not have cheapened their relationship by this "tell all" and the bedroom photo shoot. Yeah, very classy. NOT

March 15, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. sheila

It's so easy to throw stones at others. Come on People – Like you never make bad choices. Get over yourselves!

March 15, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  11. jm for sc

Surrounded by ignorance. She should have kept this foolish to herself.

March 15, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Wow!

When you turn the lights on, the cockroaches scurry and hide.

Thankfully the National Enquirer turned the lights on just in time to see Hunter, the Edwards' and the Youngs before they dashed for cover.

Why didn't the mainstream media catch this story sooner?

And such arrogance on the part of Hunter when she told Edwards that she "could help" him in his campaign–what special expertise did she think she had besides the obvious?

Scary to think all of these people had a crack at the White House.

March 15, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. BABAK

Let's see;
    He is a "smart" politcian, hoped to be the president of this country.
    She is not a virgin and went to bed to with him 3 hours after they met.
    And yet neither one knew what a condom was!?!?!?

March 15, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. Enitan

I do not know why this woman deserve media attention other than for ratings/money. Its a pitiful shame that you the media will glory this woman ( Can't call her what i really wanted to call her otherwise my response will not be posted.

She is a home wrecker plain and simple. An innocent child is now a product of her behavior/character flaws

I am a woman too and i will never ever break anyone's home or sleep with a married man no matter how hot or whatever he is.

He is to be blame as well, eventhough the media will not have focus on this story if he was a regular John the plummer, but because of whom he is.

Both of these two individuals do not deserve any media attention ( can't call him what i would like to either.

March 15, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Gary in IL

My guess is if someone looks deep enough, they will find that she was sent by the Bush/Cheney/McCain/Palin cabal to derail his presidential bid.

March 15, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. MissyW

Rielle, You disgust me! How immature can a person be! Belief system! You have none! Except for Me, My, Mine! You trampled every moral known to man! What happened to you in your childhood to make you so narcissistic? I can forgive the child inside but not the adult! Please, get some help before you convey your immorality onto your innocent child, stop the cycle!

March 15, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Shame on you!!!!!!! You are one disgusting person. You know he's wife is dealing a life and death matter. Where's your pride???? And you have some kind a nerve to pose for pictures and so called break your silence. Disgusting!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Kevin in Ohio

Edwards is SCUM in the Highest Degree. I hope you lefties are all proud of voting for him.

March 15, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. Tommy P

Edwards is wrong, but why dont all the haters look at why men like him cheat? I know guys just like him who cheat because their wives make their lives miserable and are complete shrews.

March 15, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. MissyW

Please God, erase this article from my mind!

March 15, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Moderate

Odd how these other women are being viewed as heros when they clearly end marrages. It would be nice if they were viewed for what they are.

And what is it about South C anyway?

March 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. john

typical liberal slime ball democrat......phony to the bone..

March 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. Christie

You are a disgrace to all women of morals. Edwards is a married man with a family and this is information that you knew before you seduced him to sleep with you. You are a money hungry and a camera seeking prostitute. So stop blaming Edwards for this whole issue because it is more your fault than his.

March 15, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. TeddyN

For the person who said typical democrat. uhhhh, Remember a family first Republican that just happens to be the Govenor of South Carolina

March 15, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Republican Turned Democrat

Husband stealer...you have the nerve to tell the world how low class you are for stealing someone's husband...very low.

One of these days, when he gets tired of you...you'll feel the pain and miseries you have implanted on poor Elizabeth...i look forward to that day!!!!

March 15, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |