March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Mr D

All these comments saying that she slept with her John in his motel room. Let's call it like it was. A number of other words describe what they ditd. There wasn't a nano second of sleep that went on and I am sure after they finished getting to know each other, she left.

March 15, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Trish

One thing is if two people are attracted to then fall in love. Can happen to anyone as far as I am concerned.

To have a need to see this spread across magazine pages – beyond disgusting.

And hey, that's not love. And hey, is it to hurt his wife at the time more? Beyond selfish.

March 15, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. steve

come on people.. this is america PC wins over everything .. Its not her fault come on.. Maybe she didnt know he was married... yes thats it im sure of it......

March 15, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. Anonymous

"Classic Democrat love story. Cheat & lie to get elected and satisfy any of your own selfish personal needs along the way. Just in case any of you were naive enough to think that Edwards was, "All about the people."

The author of this comment is really dumb just like John Edwards. This has nothing to do with either the Democrat or Republican parties. This is truly about an individual whom is very selfish to do this to his wife while she was sick with cancer. Also if this new girl thinks that she's the only one then she has another thing coming as well. If he's not with someone now, he'll be with someone later.

March 15, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. cuckolder

If you're going to cheat on your wife while she has cance at least do the smart thing. Be like me and get a vasectomy first.

March 15, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Rhythm

This story disgusts me..I wish there was a way of bringing either one of them up on civil charges??? I mean, could'nt Mrs. Edwards bring both of them up on a civil case of some kind??? Please,...... Let me hear from a legal eagle out there......

March 15, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I am so sick of "love" being an excuse to hurting family members and in this case deceiving the American public. When you have issues with you spouse you seek help to improve the relationship or file for divorce. Once separated, then you can start a new relationship. Only COWARDS hide, cheat and lie. What was accomplished by putting on this facade and going through all of these ridiculous schemes to hide the affair and the child?

Everyone comes out looking bad. Elizabeth for willingly going on with the campaign after she knew he was unfaithful, Rielle for willingly cheating with the husband of a dying woman and John for being a total jerk (with a captial A) and Andrew Young for being so blindly loyal and ambitious that he would participate in such rouse. Now an innocent child has to grow up learn about this someday, and the Edwards' three children who will also be affected by this mess. Shame on all adults involved.

Edwards could have discreetly divorced Elizabeth, started over with Rielle or some other chick and still retained his public reputation and career. Who is willing to listen to anything he has to say now?

March 15, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  8. Brown

This is the best thing that ever happened to John and our Country. Imagine have this loser as our President?

March 15, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. CTer

All three of them stink: Reile, Johnny and Elisabeth (Sorry but having cancer doesn't give you a free pass to be a liar too). None of three are innocent of lying, covering up and then making money off of it. Can't they all just go away and leave this country alone!

March 15, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. laura

Do any of these woman have any self respect? Believe me I am not letting Edwards off the hook. I just dont understand these woman who sleep with a married man whom they know is married. They then proceed to kiss and tell to get their time in the spotlight. ( Tiger woods, anyone?)
    Have some class and respect for the wife and children involved, but then again you had so little respect for their wife or kids during the affair, so why should we be surprised. Hunter. get over yourself I am sure you were one of many in a long line of typical political affairs..

March 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Mrs G

I am a Democrat and I didn't like Edwards when he was running mate with John Kerry as I thought he was phony. But, hey, St. Ronald Reagan had Nancy pregnant before they had their wedding. Eisenhower had a mistress as did JFK and others. I'm sure George W. Bush couldn't find anybody who liked him enough.

March 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Sarah

It's not enough that you had an affair while his wife was battling cancer, now you have to go and rub it in her face? Unbelievable.

March 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Captain Hook

Really, all the dude did was get some strange....how long was he married, I mean look Newt had affairs, Rush had affairs, Clinton, Kobe, MJ, Brad Pitt, JFK, Reggie Miller, etc.....big deal does it mean he can't govern...can Tiger not play golf, can Kobe not play basketball. Clinton will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever (economically, foreign relations, balanced budget) and he got a bj or two...big deal....really how does it affect the people reading this...about 40% of men and 35% of women will be unfaithful...I worry more about people like Craig who are soliciting bjs in the mens room,. or the catholic church and their little boys....but anyone who thinks this is a big deal really needs to shift their focus to 50 million uninsured, 10% unemployment, 8 years in Afganistan (WW2 lasted 4 years). So a Senator got some strange...

March 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. ginny

P.S.: Fair is Fair, don't try to tar everyone on this board with the same brush. I have had four serious relationships and one marriage. Not once did I cheat on them. That said, yes, I do feel I can judge two people who cheated and lied and lied again.

March 15, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. Perry

Wow. Sure a lot of sinless people throwing stones.

March 15, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. LindaE

The ONLY one I feel sorry for in this whole sordid mess ... is the baby. Truly, the only innocent person involved.

March 15, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. Trish

Come on Wilt.

You write: "Classic Democrat love story..."

Really? So, because my mother-in-law voted for a democrat I should consider her a bad person, or wired to make bad decisions? Or is she an American and a human equal to me and other Republicans in every aspect, though of a different political opinion than me?

Get over yourself.

March 15, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. Michael in Houston

Her timing to release this, her total lack of class, and her disregard for Mrs. Edwards is appalling.

March 15, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. me and mr b, oak harbor WA

i'd like to know why Rielle Hunter gets any ink or electricity? She had a sexual relationship with a married man and now has a child whose father is a cheat and a liar. nice.

March 15, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. Shelly

If she truly loved him she would not further cheapen their already cheap relationship by blabbing her mouth to the whole world. Love? Yeah right.

March 15, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Marilynn

sounds like a very classy lady and a real moral hero to her daughter!

March 15, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. Democrat

What a tramp.

Why on earth is she interviewing with Q? Did you look at the photo shoot - I am speechless!

March 15, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. Independent_me

O, gawd!
    Enough, already!!!

March 15, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. dina osullivan

Sick, sick, sick. It is amazing what perceived power can do for a man and a woman who gravitates toward that power. Sex rules their world and adoration from another person drives them. We are so lucky he didn't become preseident.What a mess that wouldhave been. The man deserves whatever bad things he gets. He is a slub bag in the ultimate sense and she is stupid.

March 15, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Calvinman

THEM R PIGS. THEM IS PIGS.

March 15, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |