March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Di

I read all these comments and laugh. Do you know HOW many men AND women cheat? ALOT. Look around and I'll bet one of the people you see are having (or have had) and affair. NOBODY is beyond it.

March 15, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Kim

He is a tramp. His wife probably did not do anything wrong.
    His girlfriend really believed she was special-and he was more than likely banging someone else the whole time–or at least looking for another while being married with a girlfriend.

He is a tramp if it was not her it would be another

March 15, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. grammi

Slimy and nasty. I feel for all of the children involved. Her clock was ticking, so why not get pregnant by a "rich" man.... she didn't care about anyone but herself. They will both have to answer to their behavior(s). They deserve each other at this point.

March 15, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Not Right or Left but Forward

Why couldn't she have been filming a commercial with Tiger? What a loser -and Edwards, too.

March 15, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. linda

Everyone is forgeting that Jenny Sanford was too a victim. I think they should console each other.

March 15, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Mary

""I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. "

It went against your belief systems??? You slept with a married man!! What belief system?? You chose a man that you knew cheated on his wife, what does that say about your belief systems??

March 15, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Peggy

This is disgusting by all accounts on every side. I feel sorry for Elizabeth Edwards because of the cancer but I think she too is an evil devious woman. She is as power hungry as John. She is really hateful to people that she believes to be beneath her.

March 15, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Ann

Neither of them can be admired for having MORALS. Sad, especially when children are involved.....

March 15, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Henry

"Classic Democrat love story."

Hey, Wilt, at least Edwards went after a WOMAN, unlike Larry Craig and Mark Foley. Makes me wonder about YOU.

March 15, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. steve

This disgusts me. How do heterosexual politicians continually vote against the interests of our fellow gay American citizens with a straight face, as if they were somehow morally superior? The word is out – you are not in any way, shape, fashion or form, morally superior. Get over yourself and start spreading civil rights to deserving minorities. This woman is a tramp – just look at that photo!

March 15, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Jodi

So selfish, Ms. Hunter. Both you and John. I mean, come on, how old are you?? And "belief system" – seriously. You must mean that you believe in taking whatever you want no matter who's husband, what cost, etc. Did you EVER even stop for one minute and consider Elizabeth and his children?? Since he obviously didn't, too bad you couldn't have been the bigger, healthier person. And now you're STILL talking about it?? Wasn't your 15 minutes of fame enough?? Wow, you need some serious help.

March 15, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Johnnyo

To LIfe long (sic) Democrate, who can't even spell Democrat:

What on earth possible bad thing could Palin and McCain have done that would be worse than what the unquestionably wost man to ever occupy the presicency has done? And then you add in total dipsticks like Dirty Harry Reid, and Nancy Pee-losi and there couldn't possibly BE any worse thing for this country! Dumb, dumber and dumbest!

March 15, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. SAY

Sick people attract other sick people. Haven't you noticed that two sick people don't make one well person or good situations.........they just make drama, chaos, destruction, etc.. Believe me, this is not the first girlfriend Johnny has had...and, this isn't the first time old Rielle has jumped on anything with pants. At her age........well, she must have been hunting down her next victim pretty regularly. Johnny was ready for her.....and knew it would take absolutely NOTHING to be this desperate little creature. There really is no fault here....they were doing what they do......but, shame on her for bringing a baby into this.......Some women over 40 women can be quite psychotic when thinking about aging and probably being alone forever....I am sure this was a chance of a lifetime for old Reille. Poor woman, he will never, ever, be your Prince or marry you. You will live without any true value in the World because you are without skills and without a job or education. Your freedom (money by which you live) is given to you because you have a womb and held a baby, that's all. Society is hard on women like this. I hope you are ready for the "ride.

March 15, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. manyok- PA

Love conquers all...have sympathy on her, don't throw a stone at her while we all have skeletons in our own closets

March 15, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. hawkeye

We trusted you John and you betrayed us. You took advantag of a women who had been taken advantage of many times before, what a sucker.

March 15, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  16. Ramses

It takes two to tangle. JE is egostitical, ruthless, inconsiderate person cheating on a noble wife and RH is a very smart lady , knew how to get him. There are no morals involed here, this is a selfish world, That is the reality of life. Everybody need to move on.

March 15, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. Tasha

Q: What's the difference between a rat and John Edwards?
    A: There are some things a rat just won't do.

So glad all this came out before he had the chance to run for president again.

As for Jerry's comment, "He is a democrat and will be forgiven by his party, that's what they do." -– Newt Gingrich was carrying on with an extra-marital affair during the impeachment trial of Clinton. The Republicans forgave him though he is not as visible as he once was, which is fine with me:

NO NEWT IS GOOD NEWT!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. CJ

Wow...pretty trashy.

And to Dominican mama 4 Obama...can you be any dumber? This isn't about Sarah Palin...it's about two worthless people who decided to have an affair. Their party affiliation is irrelevant.

What a mindless robot.

March 15, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. nathan

As a model myself, I can tell you tha tis just a standard photo shoot. I wonder what the stylist and creatives were thinking tho about the seductive look in a child's bedroom. Odd to say the least.

March 15, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. Terry

At least we now know Andrew Young was telling the truth. I say three cheers to Andrew!

March 15, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. Cildawg1

John Edwards always talked about the "Two Americas." I guess in one of those "Americas" he was single.

March 15, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. Stella Altman

This Mr Edwards who had so much feeling for the poor and was going to do so much for his country. Gee Whiz. He cared nothing for his wife or his children or his country. The mistress was out for whoever she could get that fateful first day of meeting Johnny E. and did she luck up I dread pay day for both of them.

March 15, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  23. Jake

So, why don't folks trust politicians? DUH???

March 15, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. General Sherman

I like how this is news we can use.John and her were just dogs in heat.

March 15, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  25. Karol

Why does she feel the need to tell this to all the world? Cheap and trashy. We don't care to know, we don't want to know, and she should keep the whole sordid mess a secret to the grave.

March 15, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |