March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. joe

another loser going for the scum money.

wow. fame from adultery.

March 15, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. LANY

"He should of said something before.and the news should of said something before the Iowa primary he took many of Hillarys votes and thats one reason we have the bum in office we do now and not the real qualified leader."

What does this have to do with Obama? Really? GET OVER IT!

March 15, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Andrew Samtoy

###

Lying about the father of her child went against her belief systems, but sleeping with a married man didn't?

March 15, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Anonymous

What "Belief Systems" might those be?

March 15, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. DJ

.......not to be confused with airport bathroom peepers and all the unfaithful conservative Republicans in the news. More typical hypocrisy from the right wing!

March 15, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Rogue

I like it!!! Give me more juicy details. Only if we would have elected this man!! Sure the economey & stock market never would've recovered like it did under Obama but think of the gossip!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. Dr. Trauma

This is why you don't elect a scumbag malpractice attorney to public office. Unfortunately, government is filled with these losers. I knew that Edwards was a liar when he professed that his platform was about helping "poor people". That's just like every Miss America contestant wanting to "help the children of the world". If you want to help the poor or children, volunteer your time to various aid organizations that need help. Don't just pay it lip service. The worst part about Edwards is that his wife has stage 4 breast cancer, he couldn't even give her the dignity of living out the rest of her days in peace. Pure slime.

March 15, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Thecrabclaw

For anyone arguing that Edwards was any worse a man because of the state of his wife's health, or his familial situation. You are wrong. This was an event separate, when he engaged in this relationship, his motives were not his wife or his kids. He didn't think about them, and as much of a flaw as that may be, everyone has lapses in judgment. Now this is the time when people go for the easy route and say "How could he not think of his children" or something to that effect, Well, he was a politician running for president, with a wife recently diagnosed with cancer and these come with a lot of stress. He was in a hotel with the night off grabbing a drink with the small amount of "me" time he had. It just so happens that a beautiful women approached him and expressed interest and he reciprocated because he didn't know what to do with himself. Then he continued this relationship because he either became more and more confused or because he was scared of being the bad guy or of being exposed by ending things with her. Get off your high horse and take the whole situation into perspective, And do go all born again sex condemnation on people, that is not subjective and not fair.

March 15, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. FAME & FORTUNE & A CHILD

Elizabeth Edwards stand tall lady, dump the infidel, sperm doner, cheat, liar. And as far as HUNTER, WOW HUNTER WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU. To say she went along with the cover up tells you what, Hope he gets elected Prez so she can make more money. She is TRASH IN THE WORST WAY. The only innocent people here are Elizabeth and the Child.

March 15, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. dan

Hope shes getting big bucks for it all.Edwards your done.Forget elected office and try to help your poor dieing wife.Remember you swore on it the day yougot married.Oh wait that meant nothing to you at the time of your fun.Edwards your a S–m b-g.

March 15, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. SPTX

My sympathy goes out to the Edwards' children, and to the child these two sleazebags had together. She will be reading this article on the web some day, and won't she be proud of mommy and daddy? I'm sure she'll especially be happy to read that her father probably was hoping her mother aborted her.

Edwards and Hunter deserve each other. It goes to show: Money doesn't buy you class.

March 15, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Sgt. USMC

I must say I felt a little dirty reading this article. haha

I wonder what Mr. E thinks about all this.

Mr. E is an idiot and she's a nasty homewrecker.

March 15, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. Woobis

Some one needs to tell this woman that a "force field" keeps things out.

March 15, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. Justen in Florida

yikes! and to think Edwards was almost the president...

well, we elected clinton, same thing I supose.

March 15, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. cmxsmitty

Maybe she and Edwards should get back together – looks like they deserve each other.

March 15, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. Martha Fedoriw

They are both trash and why is CNN covering this story in the politics section – it belongs in the trash section!.....Everyone wants to get a piece of the action – the $$$$$$- and trash sells – but at least call it what it is! – TRASH!!!!
    PS – and as sad as this is for Mrs. Elizabeth Edwards – I lost all respect for her too – when she wrote that stupid book and went on a book tour – to what? – make $$$$ off of this – stay home and enjoy every day that you can to be with your children!!!!!....and you knew about his affair and still worked for him to possibly get the nomination for the White House! – and wreck the Democratic Party or bring Sarah Palin into office!!!!! you thought of no one but yourselves! Pathetic!

March 15, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Cildawg1

OMG!!! Why in the world would she have a photo shoot in her bedroom???? Is anyone advising this woman???

March 15, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. Jeff of Peoria

You know – Mrs. "I want to be FIRST LADY", kept her mouth shut for a long time as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning any of this but don't you think she should have done something besides play the faithful wife.

HAD MY WIFE GONE through something like this, my political career and marriage would have been over seconds after the telephone call.

So I don't think she's as big a victim as we think.

March 15, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. beevee

From the start this weird story is all about how a testosterone surge in males can fry their brains from rational thinking. I dont think that Mr. Edwards really loved Ms. Hunter. it is all a series of mistakes.

March 15, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. Lynn D

Just another day at the rock in today's society – everyday somebody prospers from doing something illegal, immorral, stupid, corrupt, etc. Never in the history of mankind have people profited for acting like they have a IQ below the freezing mark!!!!! Joe The Plumber, Sarah Palin, Monica Lowinski, etc. – in this day and age where they do have BIRTH CONTROL – getting pregnant highly suggest we have another "gold digger" looking for a payoff – go write a book, like the rest of these morons, and get paid for being a pathetic excuse for a human being!!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  21. Layla

Just like a couple of dogs in heat....

March 15, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. pat

Help me!!! I am blind, so very blind.

March 15, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. karo

Put your pants on, Rielle! Posing in your child's bed with her toys is BEYOND creepy. Bimbo, floozy, tramp, etc.

March 15, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. Jensen

Shame on Her! Who sleeps with a married man while his wife is battling cancer? She disgusts me. He disappoints me. For Mrs Edwards though, I have compassion and sympathy.

March 15, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. BB

What a CREEP Mr. Edwards is, he probably took notes from 'Slick Willy'.

March 15, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |