March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Elizabeth

Can you spell T-R-A-M-P? I thought you could.

March 15, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. Jeannie

There are two basic words for this woman: white trash

March 15, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. mr richard

What do I take note of? Hair dyed blond (note the racing stripe); padded bra; neediness; groupie...it happens all the time this crazy "love" of mine. Really GQ, you and your photographer will stoop this low? There are better things to write about and take pictures of. I think this topic is unworthy and useless for any news agency to get involved with.

March 15, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Lisa

I challenge you all to NOT buy this particular GQ issue. It amazes me how we are all so morally certain about the low qualities being exhibited here but then half of you will go buy the magazine!!!!

March 15, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Maggie

This woman is living in a fantasy world. To her, Edwards is a great guy stuck in an abusive relationship. His wife even forced him to run for president, despite him not wanting to! Thankfully, wonderful Rielle was there to save him, by having sex with him right after meeting him, having his child while his wife was fighting terminal cancer, taking money from him and his wealthy supporters. Oh, and she and Johnny are the only honest people.

Geez, what a piece of work! She and Edwards seem like egomaniacs cut from the same cloth. I would say that they deserve each other, but I can't see him settling down with Hunter.

March 15, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. TAB Tennis

GQ should be embarassed of themselves for giving this woman a platform to air her "belief systems." Let's hope she doesn't pass on these same "beliefs" to her daughter...it would be a shame to be "like mother, like daughter."

March 15, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. valwayne

What's worse than the total arrogance and lack of character you see in Sen Edwards is the fact that there were Red Flags all over the place with this that the mainstream media refused to see because they liked Sen Edwards politics. It would be interesting to know how many reporters actually new something and just refused to look into it because they like Edwards and liked his politics. When the nation has to rely on the National Enquirer for the truth the mainstream media is in pretty sad shape. We are now seeing how badly the media missed the boat with Obama. Obama got nearly a complete pass from the mainstream media while they beat Hillary Clinton to death. Now a year later we are beginning to see the flaws and just how untested he was!!!! Its a shame!!!

March 15, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. Tom

I am sick of the entertainment industry making people like this stars. She has a photo spread and story in GQ, Andrew Young has a book deal. This encourages bad behaviour. This will cause a race to top the bad behaviour of the last guy in order to make it in the tabloids...

March 15, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Robert Dayton

Someone mentioned they were glad that Edwards didn't become President. Well, I say he would have been a darn sight better than what we ended up with.

March 15, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Ready for 2012

Oh well, these things happen. They're only human.

March 15, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Sian Rose

Any woman who would publicy profess their love for a man who "supposedly stayed with his wife 25 years after it was over, is a complete twit! There are so many cliches that coudl eb applied to this situation it's ridiculous. As a woman I can see why Johnny would be attracted to her. A stereotypical blonde who lifts her skirt and believes anything nonsense is irresitible to a deluded frat boy with no morals

March 15, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. closet republican

Out of respect for his dying wife, she should have declined speaking on the details of their affair, that is just downright insensitive and wrong...karma is a....

March 15, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. If it walks like a duck.....

Edwards' former aide could serve jail time for coming out with the truth about his scum bag boss, but we glorify the mistress with a photo spread in GC? What the...? I suppose there'll be a lucrative Riellety Show for her?

We have one seriously screwed up society.

March 15, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. Shut up and live ur own LIFE

Look Mind ur on business. Sometimes a person falls out of love with one person and falls in love with someone other then the one you are married to... Keep ur religion to yourself.

Oh yeah shut up

March 15, 2010 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. Joel

her parents should be proud!

March 15, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Tune in to FOX for news

Eeeewwww, gross. Both of them are disgusting! To me, Edwards has always been a total flake. Yuck!

March 15, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. Marilyn

You know what is worse? If Elizabeth passes away, her children may be parented by this woman. Can you imagine? I hope that Elizabeth is legally pursuing alternate custody arrangements.

March 15, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. Peter s

YAWWWNNNN Tabloid news! have mudorch bought CNN?

March 15, 2010 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Bo

Seriously, why do we really even care, we hire the elected person to be the CEO of the country, as long as they bring the country forward and provide a stable environment for business, then I really don't care if they have a harem in the white-house or anywhere else.

(making the assumption that these guys can afford to take care of their potential offspring financially at the very least)

Bo

March 15, 2010 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  20. Barb

when enough, enough?
    These so called mistresses think they are owed something. They all know what they are doing and any man who thinks they are going keep quiet about the affairs don't think straight.
    I thought in NC the spouse can sue the other party.

March 15, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. phyllis

I wish this woman, would have kept her mouth shut, about this affair.

She is only hurting Ms. Edwards more, this does not need to be in the news, or in everybody face. Why can't she just leave this woman and her family alone, does she not realize, Ms. Edwards has children, that can read this stuff, about their father.

Would she want her own child reading this kinda of mess, I think not.

I once like Mr. Edwards, and would have voted for him.

March 15, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  22. jules sand-perkins

Both Edwards and this woman are to blame.
    A woman who tells a man he's "hot" is not just complimenting him on his necktie, and she's not terribly worried about an assult on her value system.
    Edwards did not think about hurting his wife when he was invited to have sex.

March 15, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. gt

and edwards wanted to be president,, obama has faults but he is a good father and seems to be a good husband , not like edwards...

March 15, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. Former Tar Heel

Rielle and John Edwards both show their true colors as white trailer trash. They're made for each other! Go find a barn in someone else's backyard and raise some pigs for chitlins. Maybe Elizabeth will let ya... That's what I say!

March 15, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. ccraus

I am glad that there is so much support for Ms. Edwards. Hopefully, at least she can take some comfort in that. So sad that John Edwards used such poor judgment and betrayed his family with such an obvious gold digger. He is paying the price for it now. He has no family left, no dreams to wake up to, and no respect from anyone. Hope that she was worth it.
    Elizabeth, may you find peace and love in your life.

March 15, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |