March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. FanSlwHnd

Why do we make celebrities of these people? This woman is neither a victim nor a role model. She knew exactly what she was doing and made the decision to indulge herself regardless of the pain she was causing others. Now she's making money and garnering attention from that indulgence. Obviously, the value she places on herself and others is very minimal.

March 15, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. Grundoon

Women like her make it so easy for these men to be trolls.

March 15, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. Anonymous

Another tramp – blah blah blah! What's new!

March 15, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  4. Peggy Lucas, Middletown, Pennsylvania

I always say if it is offered to a man, they can't say no; however, a woman can. Both are scrum bags who deserve each other. To think I wasted my evenings and weekends trying to get Kerry/Edwards ticket elected. What a let down. Elizabeth was smart to kick John out and I sincerely hope their children disown him.

March 15, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. lindy

Please.................You don't go to a man's room without the intent of
    sleeping with him. Her weak waffling is offensive.

She had an agenda.

March 15, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  6. Ruth

This woman knew Edwards was married. She is as guilty as him. I believe PIG fits very well for both of them.

March 15, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  7. kacee

Obviously her belief systems did not apply to adultry.

March 15, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  8. CF

Why do we make celebrities out of people like this? Edwards mistress, Octomom, the Balloon Boy family, Blagojevich, etc... these disgusting people should be shunned and punished by society, not rewarded with reality shows, magazine photospreads, and celebrity status.

March 15, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  9. Greg

This quote is...um...scary.

Your belief system already included sex with a married man, a long-time married man with children, a man that was running for the office of President of the United States of America. The ramifications for John, his wife, his children, his supporters, and our country were not in your belief system. Yet, this somehow bothered you? Excuse me while I gag.

March 15, 2010 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This is important why? I guess if the girl grows up and runs for office and mentions it, but that is a long way off. This is something for the gossip columns.

March 15, 2010 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. hampster

If the truth ever be told nary a politician would escape sex scandles. Politicians believe they are better than non political Americans and invincible to discovery. All politicians spend time in the wrong bed.

March 15, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. JDQ

Rake it in, girl! Talk about selling it for the big bucks!

March 15, 2010 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  13. beverly

I think you and his timing was very bad considering his wife was sick and the fact that he is married.
    It seemed to turn our for the best, and I still would have voted for him. His personal life has nothing to do with me. I realize that it does show "flaws" in his personality, but I also believe that this does not mean he would have done a good job.

March 15, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  14. tim

Tacky:
    Sleep with a married man...
    Accept job from the married man...
    Allow yourself to become pregnant by the married man...
    But to lie about the pregnancy would be "devastating...because it went against all of (her) belief systems."?????

March 15, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  15. Jefe

At least for a change someone in D.C. threw away his political ambitions and marriage for a good looking woman. Not that its ok, I just find it odd that so many are lured in by unattractive women (Dems) or by other men (Reps).

March 15, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  16. hysterically laughing

soooooo, let me get this straight: according to her purported "belief systems," going along with intentional deception (lying) about paternity is wrong, BUT aggressively going after and sleeping with a married man is NOT?

March 15, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  17. Barbara

All I want to say is – ICK!

March 15, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. ThankgodforObama

wow..how does a woman make so many bad choices? she is sad

March 15, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. slg

The coverup plan went against her belief systems? Seriously??? Coming onto and throwing yourself at a married man doesn't go against your belief systems? Continuing your affair after the mans wife finds out and then to top it off contuing the affair while she undergoes cancer treatment doesn't go against your belief systems? What a piece of work!!!!! John Edwards and Rielle Hunter disgust me!!!

March 15, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. Randall

America, where sex has become synonymous for love. Shame.

March 15, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Sue, Vienna, VA

Never cared for the slimeball. His money may have bought him a big house and a chance to run for president, however, it sure didn't buy him any class! I feel for Elizabeth and her children.

March 15, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  22. No One Famouse

How pathetic. Another child that is going to need a lot of therapy when he/she grows up and reads some of the crap. Do these people really not care about protecting their children. Get a life – no one cares! Protect your child from these embarrasing stories.

March 15, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Will-South Dakota

I swear a tryst in a hotel room from a politician how novel!

March 15, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  24. Kelly

These are two loathesome, egocentric sociopaths that are apparently perfect for each other.

I wish them a life of happiness together...that is until something else catches their eye and they chase after the next shiny thing.

March 15, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. gpm

She is obviously a woman of easy virtue, and he is a shameless man who comitted adultry.

March 15, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |