March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. pstevens

Incredible...this will make for a nice read when her child is old enough...and what about Mr. Edwards children? Do these people ever think of anyone besides themselves?

March 15, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. missy

Sure, blame the wife. It is much easier than saying "I'm a sleaze that threw myself at a married man, slept with him the first night I met him, got pregnant 'on accident' at the nearly medically impossible of age of 42, and lied, lied, lied for years... but it was all the wife's fault I'm such a lowlife." I think the smarmy assistant also blamed the wife for his own character flaws. I know, I know... to lowlife, sleazy people Elizabeth Edwards (with all her morals, integrity, dignity and rightful indignation) seems like a bad person. They don't seem to understand that she was right & they were wrong. John Edwards disgusts me for his involvement with them. Nasty, nasty.

March 15, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Rosa Birmingham, AL

This whole thing makes me want to barf. They screwed up a lot of peoples lives being so selfish.

March 15, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. B. Jean

Hmmm. Let's see. She was going against all of her "belief systems" by agreeing to cover up the pregnancy. Where were those "systems" when she slept with a married man within hours of meeting him? What about carrying on an affair with a man whose wife was seriously ill? What "belief systems" does she possibly have – especially now that she can pose with legs spread apart for a magazine. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Edwards. I (a woman) am simply tired of women who engage in such behavior trying to look like victims.

March 15, 2010 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. ~~ JULY ~~ ( Sarah Palin is the Paris Hilton of Politics)

'it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems.'

against all of YOUR belief systems?? ... really!

March 15, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. val

So... It goes against her "belief systems" to lie about her pregnancy, but it doesn't go against any of them to have an affair with a married man? I am reluctant to judge women who have affairs, but Rielle Hunter is trash. Plain and simple.

March 15, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. Ngo

How honorable, we are supposed to demonize him and feel sorry for you for knowingly sleeping with a married man. Wake up lady; you are just a gold digger and a tramp. Who is the next powerful married and rich man on your list? Is a pity you are someone's mum.

March 15, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. karma

What a scumbag John Edwards is.

March 15, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. North Carolina

Well, this MISTRESS doesn't have to worry about the love of her life being a respected political figure again....People will never elect an official with this background. Who would ever trust such a figure. I have the UTMOST respect for his wife, Elizabeth Edwards. Just to say the TRUTH...If this Edwards man will do his loyal wife and mother to his children this way....Miss Hunter you had better WAKE UP...HE WILL DO THE SAME THING TO YOU.
    I do not believe in LUCK it is a matter of fact. Do unto other as you would have them do unto you. It will come home to you My Dear.

March 15, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Robert

Boycott the magazine. Why support such trash?

March 15, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. Shane

"it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems."
    what exactly are those beliefs, other than wrecking a home because you saw $$$ signs!?! You're a disgusting tramp!!

March 15, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Susan

he's not worth the time to think of making a comment

March 15, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. jendher

Evidently, her belief systems don't have a problem with sleeping with another man's wife and devastating his family. Not once does this woman express remorse, or even concern, for Edwards children with Elizabeth. It's time for these 2 pieces of trash to be out of the public eye.

March 15, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. dme

Lying about who the father is? That goes against all of your belief systems... But sleeping with a married man is cool? How does that work? What will you tell your kid about all of this and you belief systems?

I would think you are super lucky that this all came to light and Edwards didn’t get elected President!!! I am sure you and the baby would have wound up floating in a river some place.

How do you continue to run for president when you have piece on the side? I thought you had to get elected first?

March 15, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. jm

Does she know Monica Lewinsky by chance?

She knew what she was doing right from the start. Conniving gold digger....what is she doing on her child's bed clad in what looks to be a man's shirt?

How can she make the comment that it "went against all of my belief systems"...she walked up to a man, called him hot, slept with him a few hours later, had an affair, got pregnant and because they decided to lie about the paternity, THAT went against her belief systems???

March 15, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  16. Andy

I must be missing the point:but,why is this news today?Maybe this article should go to National Enquirer or whatever the tabloids are called.

March 15, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. DrD

Y'all are just jealous cause you dont look that good. anyone that looks like that.. should flaunt it.. the rest of ya.. should enjoy the view.

March 15, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. kd

Weird. I don't think Edwards had a serious chance but if he did we dodged a bullet on that one. And what's up with the Penthouse pose in the picture with the article? This lady has issues and problems, as obviously does Edwards.

March 15, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  19. marcia

This woman is soooo trashy...just like the father of her child!
    they are both disgusting.

March 15, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  20. 39barb

These two really deserve each other. I hope Mr Edwards realizes his career is over, he will never be elected again, and whats up with this picture? Is she actually trying to be "alluring" on a kid's bed filled with stuffed animals? Ewwwwwww

March 15, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. Dawn

What John Edwards did was wrong.Talk about being a hypocrite. Then agian he is a politician.
    My question to Rielle is why did she go to John's room?
    Knowing that he was a married man should have been reason enough for her not to have gone.
    They both should be ashamed.
    Now the interview to GQ magazine, makes her look cheap, an opportunist and downright trashy.
    The only thing she will gain from this is more publicity ( which she might want) and money.
    Children are involved, which means she really should have kept her mouth shut. I do believe we have heard and read enough.
    I am sure a book deal will be in the works real soon.
    Definitely she has no shame. How sad.

March 15, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Rei'lla C. Griggs

Well isn't that just sweet. =/

March 15, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. Carol

To invite her up to his room so easily makes you wonder how many more he slept with.

March 15, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  24. meg tudor

Rielle Hunter + John Edwards = TRASH

Poor Elizabeth-poor children.

March 15, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  25. val

This man was actually running for President of the United States. Unbelievable!! Unbelievably sad!!

March 15, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |