March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. jp,michigan

Typical man, wants his cake and to eat it too. You play and then you pay!

March 15, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. ryan

OK, so she can sue to not have the video tape of her having sex with the man and base it on "invasion of privacy", but everything is ok when she airs out her dirty laundry in GQ? Please, give me a break! This entire story needs to completely disappear from the headlines. It's over and done, we don't need to hear anymore!

March 15, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Genius

I do not know why so many people are surprised about this affair. Remeber John Edwards was an ambulance chasing attorney before this and of course he is a democrat. Need I say more...........

March 15, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  4. bk

Why does she think anyone is interested in her story. And GQ is the best she could do to tell that story? With all the methods of birth control available, she obviously set out to get pregnant by Edwards.
    Really, Rielle! Two more adults proving they have a serious lack of morals.

March 15, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  5. BobH

Considering the rate of infidelity in this country– and the fact that most of it occurs after far less temptation then Edwards had– the level of moral outrage on this page is remarkable.

March 15, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. maryann

i cannot begin to express how disgusted I feel about John Edwards. I really liked him though I knew he didn't have a chance to be President.
    I really believed he was a man of content. HA!

His wife after enduring the loss of their son, took hormones to have more children for him. Those same hormones are said to have caused her breast cancer. Then to disgrace her with a mistress and lies. Makes me sick. And people critisize her for
    acting irrationally???

March 15, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. Michelle Smith

Makes me want to gag.

March 15, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. monica williams

It went against her "belief system"? Are you kidding me? I guess hitting on a married man, sleeping with him immediately, having an affair knowing his wife had cancer, getting pregnant (really, who doesn't use birth control!) thats all within the realm of her belief system but I guess having someone else claim paternity is outside of said system. WOW that sure clears it all up!

March 15, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  9. RUTH

There must be trouble between John and Ms big mouth for her to spill their scandalous affair to GQ. If you claim to still love someone you continue to keep your trap shut. No better for him,when you lay down with rodents you deserve to get up with mites.

March 15, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  10. T'SAH from Virginia

She KNEW he was married!!! In our neighborhood, they call that SKANK-A-LICIOUS!!!!

I feel for Ms. Edwards. Sometimes WOMEN who break up a home should not be GLORIFIED!!! This is Reality made for TV and I bet she would also get a SHOW!!!

March 15, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Llivng in America

Yeah right. That magnetic force that she felt was the money from his wallet going into her's.

March 15, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Martha

I sort of respected her for staying silent while the storm raged around her. Now there's not even that.

March 15, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. Ingrid

Every year don't they pick someone who is voted the most "interesting" or the most "intriguing" person of the year? they should have one that says "the scum of the year" . edwards would surely get the most votes. And as for "ugliest person of the year"...welll....that's a no-brainer!!

March 15, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Julie

She is nothing but trash, who slept with trash, and if Edwards ex wife to be was smart she would look into taking them both for everything they have, and that poor baby, an innocent should be taken away, and given to a family that will not only love it, but a family with morals and ethics.

March 15, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. RR in AZ

Don't hate the player!....Hate the game!....It takes 2 to get involved!

March 15, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  16. Mark

Come on people. American society abandoned sexual morality years ago in favor of anything between consenting adults is OK. How many of you who call yourselves Christian violated Christian morality by living in sin and shacking up before marriage or by breaking the marriage vow of "till death do you part" by divorcing (i.e., abandoning, deserting) your spouse. And saying that they were selfish and hurt the children. How about the 40% of all births in the USA where the sex partners procreated out of wedlock , thereby intentionally depriving the children of a full-time father? Condemning her and Edwards is a cheap way of trying to make yourself feel better for your own moral failures in your sexual behavior.

March 15, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  17. Dee

She would have done better but keeping quiet! Way to break the silence!

March 15, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  18. Sammie

Shame on CNN for an article like this. garbage. What are you trying to do, make us feel sorry for her? Years ago she would have been forced to wear a scarlet A on her breast. How about sticking to real news, like the storms that Europe had. I have to read all my foreign news on BBC online.

March 15, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  19. Brian

Why is it what we used to call a homewrecker, gets face time in a magazine.

And why is CNN putting intself in the same gutter to cover it?

March 15, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. PaulMofATL

I wonder why this bimbo is talking now. This is all lust and Edwards getting some strange. I don't give this more than a year or two.

March 15, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. James M

GQ, and I thought it was a classy magazine. What a load of bull.

March 15, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. Pam from Iowa

Why is this article under 'Politics' ?
    It belongs in the 'smut' category, not 'politics' category.

Besides, NO ONE CARES!
    This type of pandering amongst politicians has been going on for over 200 years!
    JFK did the same thing!

March 15, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. MAngeline

One word for both of them....disgusting!

March 15, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. mjm

See what happens when a Democrat doesn't get a chance to screw the nation? He screws whatever he can get. And some of you wanted this guy as VP/President.

March 15, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. chelle

This is just embarassing for her. Why didn't she just keep her mouth shut???? These quotes are truly cringe-worthy.

March 15, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |