March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. mmintx

I don't understand all the love for Elizabeth Edwards. According to every report I've read, she KNEW about the affair long before the news hit the media, and she helped him cover it up, lest it ruin his presidential run. While I'll assign the most blame and distaste for John Edwards and Rielle Hunter, Elizabeth Edwards is hardly the innocent victim most make her out to be.

March 15, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Jim in Georgia

Hummm
    Could it be that we deserve the trash we elect?

March 15, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Bonnie

I think the only thing that went "against her belief" was the fact she couldn't announce it to the world that the baby was Edwards!!! She had to let everyone believe she slept with someone "not famous". I think that is what went against her belief. Not being able to be acknowledged as someone who was "worth sleeping with by a famous person". Also, Edwards jumped at the chance to give her his #. makes you wonder how many times he has done this before. Just a thought!!!!!

March 15, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. Jitmo

She is certainly a self-serving bimbo, and the outcome was her intent all along. Agree with all the comments, except.....Hot? Good-looking? Maybe if she didn't have that Miss Piggy schnoz she might be cute, but not worth breaking up a family and disgusting your children for. Eeeewwwww.

March 15, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. dawn

S-o-o-o where is any concern for Quinn in this whole deal? This is what Hunter and Edwards want their child to know about them? A mother who sleeps with a married man hours after meeting him, and a father who denies his paternity for a year?

So many good people want children, and poor Quinn is stuck with these two?

March 15, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. KLK

She slept with him "hours" after meeting him. Gosh, John, you sure know how to pick 'em.

March 15, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. frank

what some people do for money.

March 15, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Diane

As I watched the video that accompanied this story, I felt completely sick to my stomach. That this woman can even look at herself and dare to defend her so called "belief system" is beyond my comprehension. She is complete and utter trash. Adults can learn to weather pain, but my heart breaks for Elizabeth Edward's children. Where is the apologetic or remorseful concern from Rielle for what effect her behavior might play in these children's lives. She is only concerned with her 15 minutes...soo sad!!

March 15, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. KLK

Shaking my head.

March 15, 2010 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. donna rochester

I agree with Martha, there was some dignity in remaining silent. Now, she has lost even that shred of decency. The comments are bad enough but the pictures! Looks like trash, talks like trash, must be trash! I can't think of many things more morally comprehensible than what she and John Edwards have done. No, we are not to judge, but we can certainly have an opinion and my opinion is that this couple deserves each other but I seriously doubt they will end up together. He will move on to better conquests and I think she knows this.

March 15, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  11. Sleepless in NC

What's wrong with all of you Puritans? You can't stop love. John and Rielle had the real thing. Elizabeth should have been a little more giving to the next potential Pres of the US. If he needed some on the side, as an American, she should have been supportive. She should have modelled Hilary. Doesn't anyone remember how forgiving Hillary was of Bill's need for love with Paula, Juanita, Monica, Jennifer, etc...Hillary's "stand by your man" earned her a Senate seat and then Sec. of State.

March 15, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  12. Regina P

I'm embarrassed to say that I actually donated to John Edwards during his prez campaign run. I was duped...he seemed honest and a man of the people to me. Let's just say that for me, that was the last time I will ever a) donate to a campaign and b) trust a politician.
    This Rielle creature needs to please stay out of the limelight. Honestly, who cares about the lust/"love" she felt. Gross.

March 15, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  13. CIT

"devastating to my belief system", yeah, like adultery isn't against your belief system. These people are pathetic. I agree, do they ever think about their kids growing up and reading some of this crap? That poor little girl will know her mother is a tramp and a liar and her father has no morals or loyalty to the family he already had.

March 15, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. Dianne

Let's see – all it took for him to summon you was, "ooh, you are so hot." Do you think you're the ONLY woman who ever said that to him? I'm sure there were many, many others, just not others who got pregnant and made sure he was exposed so that he would feel like he has to stand by his child.

You won the fertillity lottery, Rielle, but if you marry him, someone else will find him "hot" as well, and I can't wait for that day.

Elizabeth is a classy woman and she doesn't deserve this awful tramp making headlines with her still husband.

March 15, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. Joe

What a sleazebag Edwards turned out to be. Thank God he didn't become the nominee let alone president. The man is utterly irresponsible and completely lacking in ethical foundation.

March 15, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Teo

I just threw up in my mouth.

What a bunch of idiots. All involved deserve to be dropped on a remote, uninhabited island where they can live out their melodramatic, soap opera-esque existence together. They are so wrapped up in themselves and their circus, they won't even notice we are gone.

The rest of us can live peacefully in the real world and evolution will phase out our gag reflex as it will no longer be needed.

March 15, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Jack

Rielle is NOT trash. John Edwards is the trash.

STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT. Stop blaming the affair on the woman. Why does society blame the woman as the home wrecker Jezebel, aka Angelina Jolie. John Edwards is married, so was Brad Pitt. Both of women in these cases were single. The man deserves most, if not all, of the blame for these situations. The men wrecked the home, not the so-called harlots. To give pause to the men is to give them an excuse for not controlling their libidos. This is totally unfair.

March 15, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. MiMi

Love attraction? How about SEX? "Johnny" was a married man...and you have NO IDEA what was between the two of them....she was also sick and fighting cancer.....so YOU DO NOT HAVE A CLUE....but I bet that you will PAY...and PAY DEARLY for this little sex game that you played.....and making a tape......YOU ALSO WANTED PROOF of the SEX that you had....you are a home wrecker....and anyway you look at this....it was NOT RIGHT....

March 15, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. CH in MA

If he immediately gave her his room info and they slept together just hours after meeting, then there must be many other women out there with whom he slept, or hit on. What a disappointment! And to the commentator who said something about him being a Democrat...people of both parties have been caught in such scandals. In fact, it's usually the Republicans who get caught right after making statements about family values. This is not a partisan issue; it's just a scumbag issue.

March 15, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. Lisa

All I can say is what goes around comes around. He will do the same to her.

March 15, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Tierney

Well now we know what she's really like. The things people will do for their 15 minutes is astounding and now there's a kid involved with a set of parents who are liars and glory seekers. Poor kid!

March 15, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Liz from Cary, Il

In John Edwards defense who could of resisted "you're so hot."? The guy's only human. Don't forget that Ms. Hunter is a special person. It's not like Mr.Edwards just went around handing out his personal information to just any blonde bimbo.NO, only blonde bimbos with belief systems got the info. Elizabeth wasn't able to give his campaign her full attention. Don't forget she was selfishly being treated for cancer.

March 15, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Sheila - Missouri City, TX

Disgusting!!! Use some of the money you're getting from your "baby daddy" to get your hair/roots done professionally. You and John Edwards deserve each other.

March 15, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. life long democrate

this is a disgrace to any moral person. you knew he was married, you knew his wife was sick, you knew he had children, what kind of a person are you? shame on you. i just thank god this man did not get close to being our president. what then?? the republicans would have had a field day and we could have had mccain and palin omg, imagine that nightmare. do you know the damage this could have done to our country and our world?? shame on you. you don't even have the sense to be ashamed of yourself. you should be appalled to ever repeat what you and he did. i do not understand a woman like you.

March 15, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. Wilt

Classic Democrat love story. Cheat & lie to get elected and satisfy any of your own selfish personal needs along the way. Just in case any of you were naive enough to think that Edwards was, "All about the people."

March 15, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |