March 15th, 2010

Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Lilarose

Wilt, give me a break!

You just don't like Democrats.

While the Republicans were wasting time and public monies impeaching Pres. Bill Clinton, their own moral shortcomings were being revealed right and left. We learned about affairs and illegitimate babies that some of Clinton's accusers were involved with!

What a circus!

March 15, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Jamie

what a disgrace, I can't stand Rielle & John Edwards. She had some nerve to go tell this story . . .

March 15, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Sherry

Well, we now know which is more powerful - having an extra-marital affair or becoming President!

March 15, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. miss ross

Wow, how quick we all are to judge.

Does anybody know what Edwards was telling his mistress? Were you there? Clearly, she was under the belief that his marriage was over. Perhaps Edwards wasn't entirely truthful? Is this a surprise?

However, lets not forget the INNOCENT CHILD that came from this union. How can you demonize the gift of a beautiful healthy child?? The child is a blessing and no matter how he was conceived, he is a gift.

You people make me sick with your judgement. To err is human.

Wake up and get a life.

March 15, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. Sue Pinkerton

"Miss Thing" knew exactly what she was going to do when she agreed to join him in his room! John Edwards was too self-serving and stupid to use a moral compass! She had a plan... if nothing more than to tell her friends that she had bedded John Edwards on the trail! This broad is trash! If she still "loves" him, she would remain quiet and lady-like to protect everyone involved in the mess! The one I feel sorry for is that beautiful baby!

March 15, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. johnnyonthespot

How odd. To go along with a story that the kid's father is some third party dude "goes against my beliefs system", but screwing someone else's husband DOES NOT??

March 15, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. Bibi

Edwards is only human leave him alone..

March 15, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. GODZILLA2

This just proves that while you can take the trash out of the trailer you can never take the trailer out of the trash!

March 15, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Urban Dictionary

You're "hot".

When uttered at the 1st meeting between a blond woman [of reasonable BMI] and a man .... in a hotel bar .... the translation is ... YOU CAN HAVE ME IF YOU WANT ME.

Reille ... please ... just admit you wanted to sleep with Edwards ... probably so you could do this type of magazine spread later.

A woman who is not overweight can suck a man in for a "hit it and quit it" session pretty easily. It's how we are wired. We fight the wiring when we have something good at home.

March 15, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. ANGY

how trashy can you be? both of these trailer park trash idiots deserve each other. he is a liar and the scum of the earth. I wouldn't have voted for him anyway. I always felt there was something not quite right with him. I didn't trust him. just a little to homespun for me. can you imagine this in the WH? And people thought President Clinton was bad.

March 15, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. Palermo

I am sure Walter Cronkite or Huntley & Brinkley would never have reported tabloid news like this. This is what mainstream journalism has become? Sad.

March 15, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. Jasmine in Germany

Edwards got it right. He said it could ruin his plans on becoming President. It did.

March 15, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Lol, ewwww, old people having sex.

March 15, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Sue

Does she really think people will look at her as a victim? Just like Tiger's 'mistresses', these woman knew exactly who and what they were doing. Any indignation on their part is laughable.

March 15, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. Deborah

I'm sure Elizabeth Edwards knew what her husband (the jerk) was up to long, long before any of this garbage was made public. I'm sure she thought they had a fair chance to get into the WH and didn't care what it took to make that happen. I'm also sure this piece of trash (Hunter) isn't the first woman Johnny had his way with...and she won't be the last. As for Hunter, she's only grabbing her 15 minutes of fame...and someday she may just regret those 15 minutes!!! I pity all the children involved in this mess. What I want to know... is Elizabeth really as bad health wise as they make it out to be...or is that all a big scheme too?? What a bunch of liars and cheats....glad I don't have to face their judgement days!!

March 15, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. Mary

Edwards got caught. End of Story.

March 15, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. ToughLove

Typical relativistic "belief system". We are now a post-Christian society...and this is the kind of "belief system" propagated by liberals. Christians aren't perfect (that's actually a big part of the point of Christianity)...but we don't pretend that adultery is an acceptable part of our belief system and lying isn't. True Christians that commit adultery are ashamed and broken.

March 15, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. jacpen

I now know way more than I should about her. What I knew of her before – I didn't like.

Since the article my opinion of her has gotten worse. Do we really need to this GQ. This is about her getting some attention for having a baby by a married man.

Does she realize with this interview how this will affect his older children and his relationship with them? Or when her daughter becomes of age and it hits her front door step.

Elizabeth Edwards – you rock.

March 15, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. kc

He's a dirtbag, but anyone who ever took a good look at Elizabeth Edwards had to know he was getting some on the side. And, while I don't wish death on anyone, I can almost GUARANTEE you that she brought this cancer on herself by absolutely HAVING to have two more children in her early 50's. The kinds of hormones she had to take to conceive those kids clearly had something to do with breast cancer. Her selfishness and her refusal to adopt has made her and her family pay a price. Now she wont even be around for those two little kids.

That being said, John is a dirtbag, but eventually we are all going to have to wake up and realize that monogamy isnt really a viable option for most people.

March 15, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Jayson

"..it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it,".

Yeah, everybody's got 'belief systems that they hold so near and dear to their hearts'...that is, until those belief systems get in the way of them doing what they really want.

She had no problem meeting up with a married man in his hotel room for s e x. She had no problem carrying on an affair and not even using protection to avoid the risk of pregnancy. But now she's yakking about her belief systems...right.

If you want to have an affair and are willing to accept the far-reaching consequences then by all means do it, enjoy it, and don't feel guilty.
    But above all else, don't waste anyone's time talking about your beliefs and values.

Beliefs and values are only worth talking about if you're willing to live by them!

March 15, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. JacklynD

Affairs of the heart are rarely rational. But honestly, this triangle involves three morally corrupt delusional people.

Elizabeth for believing an affair involving a child could be kept from the public if you are running to be PRESIDENT of the United States and for participating in the fraud.

Rielle for seducing a married man, blaming his wife and participating in the fraud.

John for being a complete fraud on all levels. His dishonesty is breathtaking and his belief that he could hide a mistress and child is frightening because that idiot could have been the most powerful man in the world.

March 15, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  22. Joe

Why don't we just all leave this alone? He ruined his life in persuit of a change of pace ... Not smart and certainly not what any man would perpertrate on his wife. His career was/is destroyed. Point: I'm not clear why this is still in the news.

March 15, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  23. NH Independent

Haters are jealous! Divorce is is part of life.....get over it.......and why is this in the political ticker?

March 15, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. btf

Once a cheat, always a cheat. You'll be in the same position as Elizabeth Edwards in a few years, although you'll never be as classy as she is. Let's see how you feel then.

March 15, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |