March 15th, 2010

Hayworth: Gay marriage opens doors to bestiality

J.D. Hayworth gave an interview Sunday to Florida radio station WORL, where he made comments about same-sex marriage.

Washington (CNN) - The man who wants to oust Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, is so worried about states allowing same-sex marriage, he fears it'll lead to bestiality.

At least that is what former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Arizona, intimated Sunday in an interview with Orlando, Florida radio station WORL when discussing the decision in Massachusetts to recognize gay marriage.

"You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage," Hayworth said. "Now get this, it defined marriage as simply, quote, 'the establishment of intimacy.' Now how dangerous is that?"

Hayworth continued, "I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it. But I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point. I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse."

Hayworth said the only way to keep marriage between a man and a woman is with a federal marriage amendment – which he supports.  CNN has contacted Hayworth's campaign for further comment on the former congressman's remarks.

Hayworth is challenging McCain in Arizona's upcoming Republican primary. His Web site bills him as "the consistent conservative." Hayworth often criticizes McCain as not being consistently conservative.

Filed under: 2010 • J.D. Hayworth • Popular Posts
  1. Liz

He conveniently leaves out that the law indicates that the intimacy must be between two parties of legal consent. Last time I checked, horses are not able to enter into any type of contract. Not even straight ones.

March 15, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Raymond from CA

Really? This guy is just a plain jerk

March 15, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. Linda Thomas

It is embarrassing that this man is a member of the human race. I can't imagine how he could ever be elected for 'public' office. Shame on you Mr. Hayworth!

March 15, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Kay

Hayworth should apply for a license to marry his butt...he shows a great affection for talking out of it.

March 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. michael

It's like they all went to the same Republican middle school and got all of their talking points from a teacher who majored in alarmist studies. They graduated and went straight into government. Other people with only an 8th grade education elected them.

March 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. csh

Another in a long line of stupid republicians.

March 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. SuperHiro

Well that's just stupid...

March 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  8. Annie, Atlanta

Being attracted to the same sex and being attracted to animals is not the same, and this creep knows it. He's lying. We need to keep these hateful people out of positions of power because who knows who they'll pick to hate next. Want to risk it?

March 15, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

Winny-winny!

LMAO

Oh well, so much for a serious challenge to Grampy McSame.

March 15, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. single mom

Well, that's going a bit far. I'd heard people concerned about multiple people marriages, but nothing about animals. To be honest – I'm heterosexual and have never considered being with someone of the same gender. BUT, I don't feel I have the right to impose my beliefs (Christian) on someone else. That would be too close to judging someone's soul and actions and I feel that is something for God to do. I know homosexuals who are in committed, loving, caring relationships. Those relationships should be given legal recognition. I'm not saying a church or synagogue should be forced to perform a ceremony (that separation of church and state bit goes both ways) but there should be something.

March 15, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. opticecho

Oh lord, are we back to this again?? Can you really be that stupid? COME ON!!!!!

March 15, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. An Independent

Hayworth, you and all that support your position are absurd.

March 15, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Jay

Give me a break – another right wing fanatic. Marriage equality it between two consenting adults. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THESE RIDICULOUS EQUATIONS were used by people to deny interracial marriage, women's rights and those of African-Americans. Let's be real there is no legitimate state reason to deny same-sex marriage except bigotry and the inability for some people to educate themselves to the fact that it is not a choice to be gay. Who would chose it in our society and when did you chose your sexual orientation?

March 15, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Jdizzle

Why don't we take a play out of the playbook of the republicans and end all tax credits for being married thus rolling back the amount of government. Hospital visitation rights, passage of ownership and entitlement can be figured out in separate bills. That way, government doesn't have to worry about marriage at all...?

This guy looks like one of those ex-marines in a war movie that give soldiers a bad rap for being brainless, pumped up, jerks.

March 15, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. Jeremy

"consistent conservative"? So even when it's a terrible idea, he will still make the "conservative" choice.. great.
    I'm pretty sure, as ignorant as they are as a whole, that the American people would have a pretty easy time drawing the line between gay marriage and bestiality.. But of course guys like this don't think the American people are capable of making their own decisions about things and that we need him to legislate morality. I never thought I would say this, but please God let John McCain win!

March 15, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Linney

Yes, because there are no other problems meriting more attention right now. Speaking of horses, let's continue to beat this dead one, shall we?

March 15, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. shiveley

All I got out of that article was that people should keep their horses away from J.D. Hayworth...

March 15, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. richard r golden md

hayworth is an idiot. it is interesting that the conservative right is so intent on discrminating against the only group left who is vunerable. who are the religious right going to pound on when gay marriage becomes the law of the land? makes me wonderfully glad mto be an atheist.

March 15, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Patrick

Conservatives' attempted comparisons to gay marriage are almost always lacking in terms of consent by both parties. The only apt comparison I can think of would be incest. Like gay "marriage", this is an affront to traditional societal standards, but a rational argument against it (Especially with birth control being as widely available as it is) is evasive.

March 15, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |