March 16th, 2010

'American Idol' judge wants your vote – for her father

American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi’s father, Joe, launched his bid for Senator Tuesday in New York.

Washington (CNN) - He's a Senate hopeful who's the father of an "American Idol" judge. And he wants to replicate the success of a senator who's the father of a former "American Idol" contestant.

Will former Rep. Joe DioGuardi, R-New York, be able to do what Senator Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, recently did: carry a historically Democratic state as a Republican? Not to mention that Brown's daughter, Ayla, was a finalist on Fox's "American Idol" – and DioGuardi's daughter, Kara, currently appears on the show.

Today, Joe DioGuardi announced he's running for Senate for New York. In a statement, the certified public accountant says, "America has rightly rejected Congress's spend more, tax more, borrow more philosophy."

He adds, "Washington doesn't seem to listen for long. As a New York Senator, I would stand up for the commonsense economic and fiscal policies that would bring jobs to New York and put America back on the right track."

Related: Senor may challenge Gillibrand, sources say

DioGuardi's announcement marks a return to politics after serving two terms in the House of Representatives in the late 1980s.

His daughter, "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi, tells CNN she's "excited."

She spoke to CNN in a telephone interview. The songwriter says she remembers growing up in a political family, campaigning for her father and traveling to Washington.

When asked to put her famous songwriting skills to work on a campaign slogan, Kara DioGuardi thought for a moment, and came up with a simple line, "Vote for Joe."

Kara DioGuardi says her father is "somebody who works hard when he believes in something." Asked what kind of senator her father might be, she says he would tackle tough issues.

Kara DioGuardi says "ridiculous spending" by the government has "has gotten crazy." And she says her father will concern himself with government accountability.

The daughter declined to discuss her own political views and whether they align with her father's. But she did say she would work with him, if he wins, "on certain issues, of course." She cited issues of concern to the music community, such as copyright infringement and piracy.

CNN also asked the daughter if she'd ever follow her father into politics. "Perhaps," she said. "Definitely don't want to rule anything out."

Filed under: 2010 • New York • Popular Posts • Senate
  1. Brian

We understand that you want to be a voice for the really rich in our country. How dare we ask them to contribute more, I mean they only own 4 homes, 12 cars, 2 boats, so much staff they don't even have to wipe their own b____.

Thanks for being so concerned I wish you much luck...

March 16, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. CHIPS

Simple, NO!

March 16, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Susan L.

I knew there was a reason I've never watched American Idol. Seeing all the Republican connections, I can see that I never will either.

March 16, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. The Other Michael in Houston

Again I ask the question Republicans, where were all you between 2000 and 2008. Why did you allow the poeple you voted for put America debt. Oh, how silly of me, you didn't care as long as it was a Republican spending out of control. November cannot get here fast enough so we the American people can shut down the Republican establishment for good. Hypocrites!

March 16, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Stacey

Thanks, but NO thanks!

March 16, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. GI Joe

Pose nude – republican men do it all the time. Very few make it to magazines, but they get elected by the right wing religious nutjobs.

Let woman pose nude, and they want her burned at the stake, but it's ok for republican men.

Go for it Daddy.

March 16, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Who is this bimbo?

March 16, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Lori in St Pete

That his children are on American Idol is reason enough to NOT vote for him. His offspring are helping to further dumb down America, and since he raised them and the apples don't fall far from the tree, America needs to rise up and say NO to this dummy and his dumb kids!

March 16, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Barbara Independent in NY

I don't watch the show and I won't vote for someone that I never heard of before. Her comment about "ridiculous spending" speak volumes and not necessarily in favor of supporting middle class issues.

March 16, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Kevin in Ohio

Its time for New York to get rid of the liberals..... in every way they can. Nothing but high taxes and corruption have been the result.

March 16, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

If she were running and had a pickup truck, she would probably win. For republicans, good looks and a truck trumps substance.

March 16, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Unregulated capitalism has a short shelf life

Im excited too.by the nice photo.

March 16, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. The Unsub

Only problem is that he is a Republican. The only two Republicans I will ever vote for is Ron Paul and Colin Powell.

March 16, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. REPUBLICAN LIE

He'll be another proponent of Republican big government, i.e., government of the corporate interests, by the corporate interests and for the corporate interests.

March 16, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Duck Fallas

Washington doesn't listen, cut taxes, commonsense economic policies, yada yada yada.

This guy could be the repub vice presidential candidate. His kid is a retard.

March 16, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. Cliff

Wow, her father is bringing out the "big guns" for the race.
    I'm quite sure she will stay abreast of all that transpires during this crucial time in America!
    SAD!!!!
    Being a judge on "IDOL" certainly qualifies her to speak out on the important issues facing America.
    Well, the Dems have Carville so maybe this will balance out!

March 16, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. shoegazer

Randy:"Dude,it sounded a little pitchy.Ah..ah it just didn't work for me".
    Simon:"One of the worst auditions we've ever had".
    Ellen:"Simon,you're a jerk.You're right but you're still a jerk".
    Kara:"Vote for Joe".

March 16, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. Dano

It'll take more than a nice rack to convince me to...uh... what was I saying?

March 16, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

It was the idiocy that republicans peddled as their '. . . common sense economic and fiscal policies. . .' got our country into this mess in the first place. Now they want another chance to completely destroy our country.

March 16, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. Jay

I hope you and your daughter both lose.

March 16, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. one voice

I just lost all respect for Kara. She is for the rich to get richer, while the working middle class get walked on. SO SAD!!!

March 16, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  22. enviroguy

Never heard of her or him.

Nice cans, though.

March 16, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. All the news that is fit to omit

Whatever she wants or needs from me, she can have.

Her dad is a good guy, I hope he wipes the map with bimbo Kirsten.

He's also a CPA, jeeze, how about getting a job in the Oewbama admin as they haven't COME CLOSE on one GUESTIMATE on money yet.

$24,000 for EACH cash for CLUNKER, you geniuses think that is good stewardship of MY or OUR MONEY?

Just wait to see how bad they are OFF with the Healthcare numbers even with them taking out the Doctor Fix and giving all the freebies away..

Actually you Owebama boot lickers don't work and expect everything handed to you, my bad, SORRY I ASKED.

March 16, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. S Callahan NYS

The Battle is on.....and I think he is going to have it in the bag.Sorry Kristin...I do like you...and you were good in your last role...it was wrong for them to move you over. I want more in my representation than puppet work.

March 16, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. Becky

Um. Why was it that Stephen Colbert could run for president? Because his show gave him an unfair advantage? Is American Idol a shell for Faux News' political division? Its starting to seem that way.

March 16, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |