March 16th, 2010

'American Idol' judge wants your vote – for her father

American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi’s father, Joe, launched his bid for Senator Tuesday in New York.

Washington (CNN) - He's a Senate hopeful who's the father of an "American Idol" judge. And he wants to replicate the success of a senator who's the father of a former "American Idol" contestant.

Will former Rep. Joe DioGuardi, R-New York, be able to do what Senator Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, recently did: carry a historically Democratic state as a Republican? Not to mention that Brown's daughter, Ayla, was a finalist on Fox's "American Idol" – and DioGuardi's daughter, Kara, currently appears on the show.

Today, Joe DioGuardi announced he's running for Senate for New York. In a statement, the certified public accountant says, "America has rightly rejected Congress's spend more, tax more, borrow more philosophy."

He adds, "Washington doesn't seem to listen for long. As a New York Senator, I would stand up for the commonsense economic and fiscal policies that would bring jobs to New York and put America back on the right track."

Related: Senor may challenge Gillibrand, sources say

DioGuardi's announcement marks a return to politics after serving two terms in the House of Representatives in the late 1980s.

His daughter, "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi, tells CNN she's "excited."

She spoke to CNN in a telephone interview. The songwriter says she remembers growing up in a political family, campaigning for her father and traveling to Washington.

When asked to put her famous songwriting skills to work on a campaign slogan, Kara DioGuardi thought for a moment, and came up with a simple line, "Vote for Joe."

Kara DioGuardi says her father is "somebody who works hard when he believes in something." Asked what kind of senator her father might be, she says he would tackle tough issues.

Kara DioGuardi says "ridiculous spending" by the government has "has gotten crazy." And she says her father will concern himself with government accountability.

The daughter declined to discuss her own political views and whether they align with her father's. But she did say she would work with him, if he wins, "on certain issues, of course." She cited issues of concern to the music community, such as copyright infringement and piracy.

CNN also asked the daughter if she'd ever follow her father into politics. "Perhaps," she said. "Definitely don't want to rule anything out."

Filed under: 2010 • New York • Popular Posts • Senate
  1. KATHLEEN F

This is a very smart woman with a strong political science background (she graduated from Duke U with a degree in political science). The fact that she is also very musically creative is a bonus. DioGuardi is a very likable character and might make a good legislator... now if she would start acting like a married woman instead of a teeny bopper and stop rubbing up against Simon.... it is not cute or endearing. I guess no one told her that once that ring goes on your left finger that kind of stuff (at least when the camera is on you) has to stop.

March 16, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. ran

We do not need any more fear/hate/obstructionist/purity Republicans in the Senate. We need elected officials who will do for the people.

March 16, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Four and The Door

____________________________________________________
    Kara knows her music and her government. Federal government spending in the context of an economic recession is incompetent. Obama has proven beyond a doubt that massive government spending does not create jobs, just debt. It is crazy stupid is what it is.

March 16, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. Monrob

Not for all the gold on left on the altar of Spanish cathedrals would I vote Republican. NEVER!

March 16, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. forgive me not

no vote from me....i dont like her on AI and her dad too

March 16, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Has Fox Network now become Fox News which is a political channel? If so I won't be watching Idol anymore. I don't approve of Kara or anyone else on Idol using it for a political platform.

March 16, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. Kevin

No Mafiaso legislators

March 16, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. NVa Native

I thought all the "hollywood types" were flaming liberals and socialists?
    I guess this (or he) must be a joke.

March 16, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. mike

Sure you would stand up for common sense principles and no spending just like all the other republicans did for the last eight years.

Guess what, the spending now is to fix the problems your party created.

Sorry Kara, I wouldn't vote for you or your father, same old sh.. different day!

March 16, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. rickymo

So Kara is a Republican. Pity....

March 16, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  11. fbythesea

That's right, let's reward another republican for getting us into this mess!

March 16, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. petena

Sorry Kara: No Republicans for me.

March 16, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Fooled Again

I wonder if he's a Ron Paul Republican or an everyday NEO-CON.

WE need some real help in Washington, it's filled with people who don't understand what public servant means. They have no idea what the Constitution is or do they care, as long as they have shiney, ironed shirts and dresses.

March 16, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. ART

If this idiot really cared about New York he'd be a Democrat

March 16, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. Henry Miller, Libertarian

I haven't a clue who Kara DioGuardi is, but if her father's a CPA and, more importantly, can help return some fiscal sanity to the fiscal insanity of the Democrat's current Congress, great!

March 16, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Lilarose in Oregon

This guy wants to bring down not only any hope for a medical insurance package for mostly women and children, but he will also work hard to dilute Soc Sec and Medicare.

Gotta love 'em! You go, guy!

We are now behind China and India economically. That is what these bozos should be working on. Getting our jobs back from overseas.

But no, they are more interested in ABORTION. More controllilng of women.

March 16, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. Julia - Native American from Idaho

let's hope he isn't as shallow as his daughter, she is so full of herself, it is disgusting. My answer is not, I don't vote for any republican no matter who they are, if the Pope was runnin on the republican ticket, I wouldn't vote for him.

March 16, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. kim

hes no more qualified to be a senator than his talentless daughter is to be a judge!

March 16, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. JA/TN

people please, don't cheapen the Senate, using these tactics, the spending got crazy when we went war nine years ago, where were the fiscal conservatives then, heads in the sand, Kara stay on American Idol

March 16, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Betty

Neither has an opinion worth listening to.

March 16, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. get real

Maybe he thinks we should all have to compete for health insurance. I can twirl a mean baton...I should at least get to enroll in a HMO. Too bad I can't sing, that might allow me to partake in a PPO. You have no talents? That's a sad Health Savings Account for you, sucker!

March 16, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. jules sand-perkins

I hope that DioGuardi wins the election.
    It's time for Republicans to clean up as many dirty houses as possible.
    Hey–I've got it: let's just "deem" DioGuardi elected!

March 16, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

I saw the lead article on CNN.com about the african boy king, and I though they were talking about our own narcissistic leader...

March 16, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. Jackalope

What is it with the Republicans and the celebrity culture? Fashion model Scott Brown, Fred Thompson, and now this. I guess it is truly the party of Ronald Reagan and mass delusion.

March 16, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Daniel

She is just hot. All I can say about this story.

March 16, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |