March 17th, 2010

Another Paterson aide resigns amid controversy

Paterson's press secretary resigns, citing 'recent news stories.'
Paterson's press secretary resigns, citing 'recent news stories.'

(CNN) - New York Gov. David Paterson is losing yet another top staffer as the embattled Democrat faces an ethics investigation and an inquiry into whether he intervened in an assault case involving one of his aides.

Paterson's press secretary Marissa Shorenstein, who is accused of improperly contacting the woman at the center of the assault case, announced her resignation in a statement Wednesday.

"Due to the circumstances that have led to my unwitting involvement in recent news stories, I can no longer do my job effectively," Shorenstein said.

"Throughout my career I have performed my duties professionally and with integrity, basing my actions on what I believed to be true at the time."

Paterson's communications director Peter Kauffman resigned earlier this month. State Police Superindendent Harry Corbitt also stepped down, followed by his successor, Pedro J. Perez.

– CNN's Mary Snow contributed to this report

Filed under: David Paterson
  1. Doug,lib jersey

Obama sure has shown his Chicago-ness with David Patterson. Hope and Change, Capone style!

March 17, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Preston kathy

Preston kathy i am a proud dem we have family in ny state they are dem and they hate patterson he has closed most of the parks been messing with schools i hate when a repub does this bv when a dem only thinkS of hiS self i get sick time for action

March 17, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. inde

As an independent ny'er I have one word for the gov; RESIGN.
    His creativity on solving budget problems is horrible. We live in
    the most creative city in the world and he has not once asked for suggestions. We really need public financing of campaigns so we have many choices on who to elect. Instead we have rich people with no ethics running for office and the media asks the people why they vote for these clowns–because we have no other choices!!!!!

March 17, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. D.

These guys in NY interfered with some legal procedure and are out. At the same time in Washington, legal bribes and other legal shady dealings take place just to advance something 60% of Americans do not like. These actions while being wrong are not illegal, I guess, so the remedy is at election day for this type of behavior. We will remember!!!

March 17, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. jules sand-perkins

The first entity that wanted Govenor Paterson out of the Govenor's office was Obama. The Govenor resisted, and now his faithful aides are being ousted along with him.
    Some nice guy, that Obama!

March 17, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

ALL TOGETHER NOW, THIS ISN'T ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA, LET ME REPEAT, THIS ISN'T ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA and you don't have to be a Democrat or Republican to read and understand simple English. Duh

March 17, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |