March 18th, 2010

Axelrod weighs in on Illinois Senate race

David Axelrod fired back Wednesday at Rep. Mark Kirk, a Republican who is seeking to replace Sen. Roland Burris as the junior Senator from Illinois.

Washington (CNN) - Senior White House adviser David Axelrod brought the White House bully pulpit to bear Wednesday on Rep. Mark Kirk, the Republican hoping to capture Barack Obama's old Senate seat in November.

In an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Axelrod criticized Kirk for telling a group of Republicans last week that if elected, he will, "lead the effort to repeal this [health care] bill."

"As an Illinoisan, I have to say, I find his remarks disappointing," Axelrod told the Sun-Times. "Given the great challenges America, and families across Illinois face today, the last thing we need is another Republican senator in Washington who is more focused on tearing down the President than he is on solving problems."

This isn't the first time that the White House has lent its support to Alexi Giannoulias, the Illinois state treasurer that will face Kirk in November.

On March 9, Giannoulias visited the White House and received a measured endorsement from press secretary Robert Gibbs.

In a statement to CNN, Kirk's spokesman, Eric Elk said, "The Congressman's remarks reflect the concerns of many Americans that the current health care bill would chart an unsustainable fiscal course for our country resulting in higher debt, more taxes and fewer jobs. Voters in Illinois understand the stakes in this election and have a clear choice to change direction, create jobs and clean up corruption."

Filed under: 2010 • Alexi Giannoulias • David Axelrod • Illinois • Mark Kirk
  1. D.

The white house became a bull pen.

March 18, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. Stacie

Nice Mark, the jerk, Kirk! I'm glad you just gave me another reason to vote against you. Once more, you are more interested in saying what you're against than saying what you are for. I have no idea how you plan to create jobs in Illinois or to help reduce the deficit or to help the uninsured, underinsured and all of us covered by our employers who see our premiums increase by crazy percentages yearly. You just say, no, no, no. Well, I get to say NO to you!

March 18, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Ryan

David Axelrod is pretty awesome but PLEASE, dude... get rid of the comb-over!

March 18, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. Tulsa

Well put Mr Axelrod.
    It becomes more apparent every day that all the Republicans have is fear and lies. They have no ideas, no ethics.
    All they want to do is make sure the President, who won the election by the way, FAILS.
    When it is the stated purpose of a political party to make sure the policies of the elected leadership fail, that party is no longer part of the nation, but is in fact the nation's enemy.
    The Republican party is not a political party at all. They are in fact as bad or worse than the terrorists in Pakistan and Afghanistan. They just wear suits.

March 18, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Laverne

I must say it is disappointing that a candidate is more focused on what he can do to so called "stop" President Obama than talking about what he will do to help not only the people of Illinois, but the American people. I hope that very comment sink his ship and I believe it will. President Obama has a righteous wing behind him and there is nothing the republicans can do about it!

March 18, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Jane K

Is this Axelrod guy going to Indonesia and Kenya as well? He should.

March 18, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Americans understand exactly what Kirk means. He intends to come to Washington to join the ranks of GOP obstructionist aka as the Taliban.

March 18, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. SanantonioSlim

does anyone care what axelrod thinks? as a former illiniosian i will be sending kirk a donation. I have family still in the state, downstate - not democrat controlled chicago - who are fuming at the arrogance of this administration.

March 18, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

If Axelrod is against somebody, it can only mean that he is honest and not corrupted by the unions.

March 18, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. Dar

Did anyone think that Axeldork would say anything good about a Republican.
    By the way, what a picture, Axeldorks expression and hair are priceless. Wonder if thats his boyfriend behind him. Just kidding.

March 18, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. Dave

Axlerod is a lieing, deceitful, conniving man every bit as bad as Obama and Pelosi.

March 18, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. cspurgeon

Axelrod is dead on right. The Republicans haved moved from obstructionist to downright nasty whiney bullies in their hate of Obama. Something mental going on in this country..not good and I fear Media is about 50 % of it just for ratings. Cnn sounds like Fox News now and didn't anyone but me think that little whiner interviewing Obama last night on Fox was a horrible rude person and nowhere close to the journalists we used to have. I thought Obama was too patient and frankly should have closed down and let the idiot carry the rest of the interview himself.Ask a question and then interrupt 10 times in 30 seconds. You couldn't hear either one of them and I for one thought it was disgusting. I used to be a republican and am now an independent and truly think the centereists need to take the country back. On the TV all you hear is party line after party line. Today I am watching HSBC, Too much for me. Anyhow agree with Axelrod that all this counry needs is another whiny bully hater in Congress.

March 18, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. Kill the Bill before it kills US.

If this bill passes and when the people see what it entails there will be the biggest grass roots effort to repeal it than we have ever seen. Count on it!

March 18, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Frozone

As an Illinois resident I plan on holding my nose and voting for Alexi. The last thing our state and our country need at this point is another corporate owned do-nothing Republican.

March 18, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. JWK

Yeah, so this bill is so deeply tied to Obama that opposing it means you're automatically tearing the Prez down? I think Axelrod needs to get a life. It's simply a bad bill with horrible consequences. Why don't we get a bill that actually addresses the problems rather than getting something for the sake of saying we got it.

I would be voting for Kirk if I lives in Illinois.

March 18, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. Jerry - Florida

Axelrod, PLEASE shut-up and seat down.

Thank you!