March 19th, 2010

Boccieri switches to yes

Washington (CNN) - Rep. John Boccieri, D-Ohio, announced Friday he is switching his vote to "yes" on the health care reform bill which is expected to come to a vote Sunday. The Ohio lawmaker previously voted against the House version of the health care reform bill late last year.

Boccieri announced his decision to support the bill at a Capitol Hill news conference surrounded by constituents who have been adversely affected by the current health care system.

"When I think…what could happen to those 39,000 people in my congressional district who don't have health care insurance, or the 9,800 people in my congressional district who are living with pre-existing conditions," Boccieri said, "they are one medical emergency, one bankruptcy, one diagnosis away from complete and utter economic chaos."

The Ohio Democrat has been targeted in television ads by health care proponents pressuring him to switch his vote. He is the first Democrat to represent Ohio's 16th congressional district in close to 60 years.

Filed under: Health care • John Boccieri • Popular Posts
  1. Nini

Wally because 95% of the blogers in this site are Democrats.
    That is why 63% are for Obama care.

But 75% of the America n people are not for government takeover we like to make our own decisions.

I like to work hard and pay for my own expenses, it s very empowering you should try it sometimes.

Read about our founding fathers and why they said about Entitlement programs and human integrity.

March 19, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Tim

Way to go!! It's time to stand up and do the right thing, rather than be frightened by those who simply want to see Obama fail. When 30 million people benefit by getting health insurance and the rest of the country benefits by a reduced deficit, the Rupublicans won't have a chance. I just hate that they want to hurt the country for their own benefit.

March 19, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. GJ

MMMM....momentum. It smells great.

March 19, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Term Limits

I wonder what sweet deal he is getting or been promised. I guarantee its not to have the tanking President campaign for him.

March 19, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  5. Denny, VA.

Pack your bags in November. Your an idiot who just lost his job. Don't listen to the American people. You can live with Obama when you are out of work, just as he will be in 2012. Or maybe Palosi will put you to work for one of her husband's businesses for minimum wage, which is more than you deserve.

March 19, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Mike in MN

This is a terrible bill that does manage to help some people, but at a terribe cost to our nation. A majority of voters know a better bill can be written. One that provides all the good in this bill without the excessive cost, excessive amount of government, excessive cuts to Medicare, excessive tax increases and without the mandate that everyone purchase insurance even if they don't want it. The majority of voters have been asking for over half a year to kill this terrible Obamacare and write a better bill, one a majority of voters will support. Obama and the progressive Dems continue to refuse to listen to the will of a majority of voters on this issue and other issues too for that matter. So the voters will do what they have to and restore the Repubicans to power this Novermber and ask them to clean up Obama's mess. And the voters will hold the Republicans accountable to do so.

March 19, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. David

Boccier is my congressman and I'm extremely disappointed on his decision. Folks all I have to say if you have health insurance which will be taxed as income and folks who dont have insurance will be pentalized for not having health insurance. Remember folks, if you dont have a job and how can you buy health insurance? If we take a look at the people who are living of the welfare systrm and abuses the system for a free rider. Remember folk, these people were promise FREE EDUCATION, Cadalics, and Million dollar homes that Obama promised during his presidential primary against Hillary Clinton. My party has been hijacked by the liberals and I want my old party back in control than liberals. I strongly urged everyon to oppose this bill 100 percent to kill it and start over with something in common with the republicans and start from there.

March 19, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Texas Jack

Have any of you OBAMA supporters who keep yelling no one is helping the poor. Have you read this bill? I DOUBT THAT. If you had no way in HADES would you vote for this. The elderly who will need the most care will not receive it. Instead what they have worked for all their lives, Social Security and Medicare, most of you people's Medicaid is going to be taken away from them. If you're poor and need help you're not getting it with this plan. Instead your going to be much poorer. Because you must and will have to pay for it some sort of a plan. The government is not picking up the tab for you. YOU ARE SO MISLEAD IT MAKES A MAN WANT TO WEEP. Your backing Obama because you think he looks like you. DO YOU REALLY THINK HE GIVES A DARN ABOUT YOU. HIs plan show he does not. NO MORE FREEVIES WILL BE FORTHCOMING. THIS EFFECTS ALL RACES IN THE WORST MANNER. You cursed Palin when she mentioned death panels. BUT THEY'RE COMING. SHE IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. GET WISE AND DO SOME RESEARCH. IF YOU CANT'S READ GET SOMEONE TO DECIPHER IT FOR YOU. I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN NO MATTER HOW YOU CURSE ME. I WAS A DEMOCRAT FOR FIFTY YEARS. BUT YOU CAN KISS THAT GOODBYE. I AM NOW AN INDIVIDUALIST THAT THESE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR US WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH MILKING US DRY.

March 19, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Tim - Wilmington, DE

Thank you, Mr. Boccieri. Your words ring especially true, that these big decisions are decided not by the critics barking on the sideline but the leaders who roll up there sleeves and try to get things done. The American people thank you. God bless.

March 19, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. FactCheck

But 75% of the American people are not for government takeover we like to make our decision.

-----

Since you like to make up numbers, how about this one: 100% of what you say is pure bullcr*p. By the way, tell me again how those Bush tax cuts worked out so well.

March 19, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Oregon calling

DR and FAir is Fair – I would not want to have any connection with either of you. Talk about narrow minded. I have worked hard all of my life and because education is not in the cards for me, I will always be a worker bee. Never will I be able to buy a house and my car will always be 2nd hand (I believe in recycling) :-) Because I was not born into or at the right place at the right time, I don't know if I will ever make over $30,000.00 a year. The jobs that I have DO NOT have benefits, what am I to do? Oh, I get it, it's ok if I die just as long as I don't get an abortion. I may not have a college degree but that it just plain dumb.

Peace :-)

March 19, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. NancyLV

OMG do these people really believe if the healthcare passes that they can go to the hospital next week and get care for free. This won't make any difference (if it passes) they won't get healthcare for free for 4 years so why do they go on TV or anyone for that matter and say they are one sickness away from bankrupcy if they get sick in a year they will have to file bankrupcy they will probably have to anyway does anyone really believe that the government is not going to get their sneaky little hands in the taxes supposed to be paying healthcare and use our tax money for something else, think again our country is in too much debt to leave money just sitting there collecting dust for 4 years and if anyone believes that they will leave the money alone I have ocean front property in Arizona.

March 19, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. Marie

The plan has been worked to death. Let's vote. Obama is the best president we've had for the last 40 years. Reaganomics are to blame for the Wall Street mess. Bush is to blame for the deficit. Clinton left the finance situation in relatively good shap. Obama Rocks!! Screw the tea party–a bunch of white racists who are pissed that a black man won!! Get over it. Go Obama. Change America!!

March 19, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. Marie MD

Good for him. He actually went out and saw and heard what his contituents are going through. Anyone who loses their job loses health care for his/her family.
    I know of very few people who have $1000 extra a month to buy COBRA health care.
    Can boner think of anything else besides gun and shooting about this bill? What a moron! It's got to be that fake tan lotion he uses. His brain is fried.

March 19, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |