March 19th, 2010

Boccieri switches to yes

Washington (CNN) - Rep. John Boccieri, D-Ohio, announced Friday he is switching his vote to "yes" on the health care reform bill which is expected to come to a vote Sunday. The Ohio lawmaker previously voted against the House version of the health care reform bill late last year.

Boccieri announced his decision to support the bill at a Capitol Hill news conference surrounded by constituents who have been adversely affected by the current health care system.

"When I think…what could happen to those 39,000 people in my congressional district who don't have health care insurance, or the 9,800 people in my congressional district who are living with pre-existing conditions," Boccieri said, "they are one medical emergency, one bankruptcy, one diagnosis away from complete and utter economic chaos."

The Ohio Democrat has been targeted in television ads by health care proponents pressuring him to switch his vote. He is the first Democrat to represent Ohio's 16th congressional district in close to 60 years.

Filed under: Health care • John Boccieri • Popular Posts
  1. Dean O

Whose the GOP candidate running against this clown? I'm ready to send $100 to whomever it is. I encourage all voters who dont want socialized Health care to do the same. Pour $$$ into the opposition immediately. Maybe they will get the message then.

March 19, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Dale in Ohio

SELL OUT. he should read the bill, pre-existing conditions kick in in 2014
    That's not going to help. VOTE THIS BUM OUT!!

March 19, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. thomas imperato

with the majority of americans against the plan as written what ever happened to "by the people, for the people"

March 19, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. Ancient Texan

Another Dim who claimed to have principles, then sold out for whatever bribe it took to swing his vote. Now, come November he can join the ranks of the unemployed that will be unemployed a long time under Obama's Administration. With this Healthcare Debacle hanging over their heads, Small businesses will not be hiring.

March 19, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Pat F

I hope you didn't buy Washington real estate, pal. Because you're going to be going back to Ohio after November!

March 19, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. vette gal

Good for him. Time to take a stand!

@awaitingliberalizationbyCNN: Dolt! Your money is already being taken away to pay for people that don't have health care. Your premiums keep going up because people that don't have health insurance go to the ER rooms whenever they are sick because the hospitals can't turn them away even though they have no insurance. Your rising premiums are paying for those premiums. DUH!

March 19, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Dave

Boccieri is just another democrat who will surely be voted out of congress in November. This whole subject of health care reform will be a mute issue by 2012 once we vote Obama out of office along with the 70 plus representatives and senators and the republicans will repeal this legislation and rightly so.

March 19, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Pat F

You will be joining Gary Peters, the first Democrat to represent Michigan's 9th District in decades, in the UNEMPLOYMENT LINE in November.

You'll both have lots of Democrats for company!

March 19, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. brett

it is bad call..

suppose your kids going to college and covered the your insurance. You get lay off from job, and u able get employment benifits, and your children isnt. they cannot afford to pay the health insurance during college, they will pay the FINE (2,000 USD) for not have insurance. Is that fair?

Oh, add to that, this healthcare is cover add millions of america. They kept say it is for kids... do u relized that there is OLD LAW and still use, that every kids will COVER the state medicare as if parent dont have job or cannot afford. Parent HAVE to bring all info to office, then children get covered, EASY.

why does this currently government think it is NOT working? I know that Health Care COST pretty high that I dont agree, but this new healthcare bill is SCARE me. the word "subsidy" that they use in heathcare bill. Look at our corps..it is all is subsidized and now we have lousy food. it is actually cheaper to grow organic than to grow subsidized corps with chemicals.

Will this mean lousy health care?

March 19, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. File under "Sarcasm"

Let's keep it simple, the healthcare bill is 10lb of "crap" in a 5lb bag and it's oozing out the sides. I hope this guy is happy with being the "first Democrat to represent Ohio's 16th congressional district in close to 60 years" because he may be the last for another 60 years.

March 19, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. John in WV

I used to work with some who chose to do nothing for fear of making a mistake and losing their job. At the same time, I worked with some who chose to do something even if it meant losing their job. I don't have to tell anyone who became the most productive and gained the most respect. Lawmakers who choose to do nothing about health care reform for fear of losing their job will never be as productive and respected as those who choose to make a change and don't fear for their jobs. Once health reform is passed, we'll see which party wins the most in November.

March 19, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. thats_right

well a lot of people are asking how the democrats are going to get the money for the health form, I have a suggestion why don't we cut the billion dollar support to Israel, and start putting that money on our fellow Americans, enough is enough why is our money going to Israel? look what they are doing to U.S disrespecting all they care from U.S is money they have no loyalty to us, so cut the money aid on Israel and put that on health care reform in United States. Cnn I hope you will post this thank you.

March 19, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. thats_right

March 19, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Billy J..Texas..

The Democrats never should have conceded as much as they have on this. At the moment, it is perilously close to a sweetheart deal for the Insurance companies. They need to take the anti-trust exemptions from them.

The lobbyists are out in full force right now. These guys have guts.

March 19, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. SHARON

I am opening for some suggestion: I have been unemplyed for the last 2yrs and have no health insurance and recently discover I have terminal cancer. I am a young widow with 2 small children. Because of no insurance no medical attention. I was inform that i have only 5 – 6 mos to live. who will take care of my kids I don't want to die. With out
    insurance i have a death sentence. There are other people out their with my situation or worse. Please... don't let us die....

March 19, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. wally

63% of the people leaving a comment are for health care reform! Its about time!!

March 19, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. Willy Brown

Buh bye in November crack head.

March 19, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. Rege Szelc

Any member of congress that votes "YES" for this Bill should have to submit to a blood & urine drug test, starting with the anti-Christ.
    Rege

March 19, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Fair is Fair

"THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS DIE EVERY YEAR, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE HEALTHCARE......... MORE THEN DIED ON SEPTEMBER 11TH........ AND THE GOP DOES NOT CARE"

And if this passes, only 180,000 more (the so-called 45,000 per year you always scream about).

Tell me... if I don't have insurance and I get hit by a truck and die... is it because I didn't have insurance?

March 19, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Rege Szelc

Nothing like cutting a deal. You can loose with a good hand as well as win with a bad one. One thing for shore, a lot of Club Congress will be gone this election.
    Rege

March 19, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Tim

I will never vote for a republican again, and I'm ashamed of having done so in the past. I think every republican who is up for re-election this fall should be voted out of office, and publicly humiliated.

March 19, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Voice Crying In the Wilderness

Well said,sir. You spoke like a real person. Thank you.

March 19, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. D

Seems this man would be better suited for charity work... unless he's just another con. Either way, the best interest of this country is clearly not his priority.

March 19, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. FactCheck

You wing-nuts are in for a sorry surprise come November. Don't you get it? Just because you scream loudly doesn't mean that the rest of the country agrees with you. You were screaming even louder back in Nov 2008 and to quote you beloved Queen Palin "how'd that work out for ya?"

March 19, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. Rick McDaniel

Another Dem who is tired of being in Washington.

March 19, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |