March 19th, 2010

DNC ad aims at 'plotting' by McConnell

A new ad is taking aim at McConnell.
A new ad is taking aim at McConnell.

(CNN) - With the expected House vote on health care reform days away, the Democratic National Committee is launching a new ad Friday that blasts Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell for "plotting" to block the sweeping legislation.

The 30-second spot, which is set to air in the Washington, D.C., area, highlights a recent New York Times report that McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, has long planned to use his "extensive knowledge of Senate procedure" to slow or even stop passage of the final bill.

"Even before President Obama took office he was plotting his obstruction, and Senate Republicans stood with him, playing politics and protecting their special interest allies. Mitch McConnell and Republican games, that's what's wrong with Washington," the ad states.

McConnell told the Times on Tuesday that it is "critical" Republicans maintain their opposition to the health care bill.

"If the proponents of the bill were able to say it was bipartisan, it tended to convey to the public that this is OK … it's either bipartisan or it isn't."

Filed under: Health care • Mitch McConnell • Popular Posts
  1. GabeK

Go ahead Mitch! Good job. I voted for Obama (my bad) and I', ashamed that I did. I want to apologize to everyone out there. I'm sorry and it won't happen again. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. I believed what he said on the campaign trail. I was stupid and naive. However, I'm a better person for it. It's also the last time I vote for a Democratic candidate. I was also lazy and stayed home during the election. Won't happen again. This November, you'll see my as often as possible, holding a sign for any Independent or Republican running against any incumbent that votes for this bill. I did my Hail Mary's and that will be my penance, gladly done.

March 19, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. historian

Okay, we've seen this ad. Have you heard about Arizon'a appointed Governor is going to sue the federal government if the health reform bill goes through? The Republican governor said the state of Arizona is broke and cannot afford to pay for everyone for everything. Does anyone have a clue on how much this lawsuit will cost Arizona taxpayers? With all these ads and demonstrations going on, we could help many unemployed and uninsured people.

March 19, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  3. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

How horrible of Mitch McConnell to use his knowledge and postion to stand up for the will of the American people against a corrupt, elitist, morally bankrupt Democratic party and corrupt, thieving president. Can you imagine that. I can see why the DNC would be so upset with a person who actually tries to fight for the wishes of the people rather than the gangster cabal the they represent.

March 19, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  4. NJfinest2009

All this talk about healthcare and reform has only made me stop to think about my own healthcare. EVERYTHING! is controlled by somebody. wether it is Medcostly, $igna, aetn$a, united healthscare or THE GOVERNMENT. we the american people will never have a say so in our healthcare so what is the difference if this bill passes or not? Some one will always tell us what to do anyway. Impress me and come down of the plan I have now, I have a secret deductable of $3500.00 but my card says $500.00 by the time I pay off my deductable it is the end of the year and time to start over again. Why don't we worry about cashing in on some of those benefits uncle sam invested in crap we don't need so we can at least retire with dignity!

March 19, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. indy

They've got guts to talk about Republican "plotting" when the Democrats are looking at every possible way to make this a law without having to attach their names to it!

March 19, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. The Calabash Kid

And why is it not a "bipartisan bill?" Because Republicans refuse to participate in the process. Republicans negotiate like the North Koreans. The point of their negotiation is not to resolve differences; the point is to prolong them and ossify them.

Republicans complain endlessly about how unfairly they are being treated. I feel bad about that. I asked myself, "If the positions were reversed, what would Carl Rove do? What would Tom Delay do? What would New Gingrich do?" I thought about that for a while, and then I decided that the right thing to do is for the Democrats to ram the bill down their throats.

Unfortunately, that requires courage and principle. And we are talking about Democrats.

March 19, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Steve, New York City

If you're not big oil, the AIPAC, the NRA or some other wealthy group (with "narrow interests" who don't necessarily have WHAT'S BEST FOR AMERICA as their primary concerns), then politicians don't really care about you.

The only thing that's wrong with this article, is that DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS are both guilty of this utter nonsense (with a "glimmer" of exceptions, such as the McCain-Feingold work from some time ago). Heck knows what is the solution – maybe we should revive the Whig party?

March 19, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. Ben in Texas

It has been crystal clear since 2008 that the Repugnants meant to obstruct legislation, whether a bill was good or bad. If they are not able to keep a bill from passing, they intend to cripple, dilute, or sabotage it. They cynically (or stupidly) believe that America will not notice the obstructionism, partisanship, and anti-American nature of their activities.

The entire point of their efforts is to make sure nothing good is accomplished by the Democrats, because the Repugnants know full well that nothing good was accomplished under Bush/Cheney. They cannot afford to have any Democratic successes, because the contrast with their rule will be so striking that the Repugnants as a party will recede into obscurity. So, putting party before all else, they obstruct.

As a strategy, obstructionism has some logic. As a moral and ethical issue, it is abominable.

March 19, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. Mark S.

The Republicans are on the wrong side of history on this one, just as they were when they tried to obstruct Social Security and civil rights legislation several decades ago. You would think they would be tired of being wrong!

March 19, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. AF

Why congressmembers don't pay for their own health care? like every other citizens do.

March 19, 2010 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. Shelly

McConnell and Republican cronies only are interested in the 2% of the wealthy Americans, but could NOT care one bit for the rest of us hard working and decent Americans. They continue to lie, show complete disrespect for folks that are hurting, and have shown NO leadership by constantly rejecting everything that helps our citizens. Remember that IS the Republican way!

March 19, 2010 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Dewey

This ad is where your hard earned money is being spent when you contribute to the DNC, folks.

March 19, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. brendan

Pretty sure he's not the majority leader folks.

March 19, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  14. johnrj08

McConnell had plenty of chances to make this a bipartisan bill and he refused to do that. This turtle-faced moron is so transparent it insults my intelligence when I read his blatant lies. The man is drunk with power.

March 19, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Ken in NC

All the politicians fighting this reform should be stripped of their riches and health coverage and try finding a way to live without medical coverage. They should be made to know how it feels to go to sleep every night worrying about your child getting sick or worrying about not being able to work because of an unforseen illness.

March 19, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Jilli

So the issue will die a slow death, along will thousands of uninsured Americans. That's your solution Mr. McConnell? Pathetic.

March 19, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Amateur Editor

Senate Majority Leader...? Did the Republicans take back the Senate while I was asleep?

March 19, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. T'SAH from Virginia

Why aren't these commercials being run in my state? All I see on TV are ads 'going against' health care reform?? Every time I listen to one, it makes my insides boil. It's not RIGHT!! Most of the ads are OBVIOUS lies and the RepubliCAN'Ts are getting away with it.

If this is all the American people in VA hear – this is all they are going to BELIEVE. DNC should get on the ball and show more of what the people are for – Health Insurance/Care Reform... Case and POINT!!

March 19, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. O.M.

Mitch McConnell is a poor excuse for a human being, a stone-hearted man whom history will remember for his shameful lack of
    compassion and ugly partisanship. His family has nothing to be
    proud of, and the sooner he retires and disintegrates into the ground, the sooner the world will be a better place.

March 19, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Cando

Yes this was the republican plan all along, they couldn't stand it that they lost the election so this was their plan for the country. What a shamful bunch of people. The sad part of it is soooo many Americans have bought into the lies and obstruction of the republican party. The democrats need to start showing these ads everywhere and now.

March 19, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Bedtime for Obonzo

Keep plotting, Mitch. I pray that you're successful. I just hope that your "extensive knowledge of Senate procedure" can overcome the Democrats extensive ignorance of the United States Constitution.

March 19, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. GI Joe

Not only are they obstructing all legislation, they're threatening the democrats with all kinds of stuff.

Talk about sleezy politicians. Strong-arming, fear-mongering, hate-mongering, death panel lies, on and on and on. Will it end before they get violent?

March 19, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. Bill

Isn't he the Senate MINORITY Leader?

March 19, 2010 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. Jane Boucher

Does this surprise anyone. Its obvious the GOP's wanted the President to fail on every issue. from day one. , and Especially after Eric Canter said the healthcare issue will be President Obama's waterloo. Its really sad for the country, and for history. . Jane

March 19, 2010 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. Lexington, KY

Mitch represents an insurance state. All the special interest are in his state. He & his band of thugs are the problem with Washington.

March 19, 2010 11:44 am at 11:44 am |