March 20th, 2010

House will not 'deem and pass'

Washington (CNN) - The Democratic leaders have decided to abandon the controversial plan to avoid a direct vote on the Senate health care bill, known as deem and pass.

Instead, multiple Democratic sources told CNN that they will have three independent votes - a vote on the rule, a vote on the fix package, followed by a vote on the Senate bill.

Previously, Democrats did not think they could pass the fixes before the bill. But they have been assured by the Senate parliamentarian that it is possible.

Filed under: Health care • House
  1. Dave

Well then DO IT ALREADY! Pass this reform and let's get on with the next thing.

March 20, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Dave from Maryland

So after they vote on the rule, they'll vote to fix something that they haven't yet voted on? That makes about as much sense as this entire idiotic process. I'm no longer going to help finance this cluster fxxk in Washington. I'm 'deeming' myself exempt from federal income tax. Let them come get me.

And by the way – I really want to give a 'shout out' to Obama for the way he's pivoted to jobs. What a piece of crap this affirmative-action loser is.

March 20, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. SocialismBad

DARN!! Too bad... I wanted to see the Supreme Court rule this cowardly procedure unconstitutional. If poilitcians aren't willing to stand up and be counted then they need to resign their office IMMEDIATELY.

March 20, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  4. Cindy

So be it... Just get it done!

March 20, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Annie, Atlanta

Chalk another one up to the Republican "Noise Machine?"

March 20, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Richie in Mass

Good. This would have made the Democrats lose huge in November. I am against the bill but If the Majority votes for it then that is how our democracy works. I also accept the Nuclear option. It is the law of the land. At least now the people who actually vote for the bill are on record. They can't try and hide. That goes for those for it and against it. Voters on both sides will hold them responsible for their votes in November. People for the bill will vote against those who voted against it and those against the bill will vote againt the ones who voted for it. That is how we do it in this country.

I just wish they were honest about what it will really cost and what is in it. We will know between now and November. The Democrats better hope the good in the bill heavily out wieghs the bad in this bill. Afterall we won't see anything but costs, and taxes got up till 2014. After the president signs this tomorrow nothing changes so people thinking they will get free healthcare on Monday are in for a shock. You are stuck till 2014 with the same problems. The cost will sky rocket between now and then. Plus according to the CBO at least 8 million people will lose their company paid healthcare by 2016. Those companies will now simply pay the fine which is cheaper and now people have to buy it themselves. So that little tidbit Obama keeps throwing out there that we can keep our healthcare if we want is in fact a lie.

March 20, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

I just love when President Obama rips the carpet out from under the Party of NO and takes their useless "unconstitutional" talking points off the table!

Not that "deem and pass' was ever unconstitutional, fact the Reds perfected it when they were in power, but at least the racist redneck "christian" cons will not be able to claim it was.

But then, facts have never gotten in the way of a Rabid Reich rant!.

By the way, you need to start planning for Lush's departure from the country now that HCR is passing.

Say bon voyage for me, will ya!

March 20, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. Ken in NC

I am a loyal Democrat and love my party, however, I am appalled at the ease with which they cave. Rather than being critical of my party, let me compliment the GOP. This party either right or wrong unites behind their leaders even when they do not all agree and they stick together. They are unyielding when they adopt a course of action. Even when they are wrong, they are wrong to the top of their voices and their unity gives them the strength and backbone needed to stand up to the opposition. Republicans come into an issue with guns blazing and take no prisoners. They are not subject to being embarrassed because they are united.

My Democratic party should learn a few lessons from their "Republican Friends" and stop negotiating away options among themselves. Until they do this the Bullies of the Republican Party will go on being the Bully. Now I am not advocating that Democrats become Bullies, however, sometimes you have to take a stand and bloody the nose of the Bully to get his attention. You must bloody his nose to make him aware of the fact that you have limits and that he just went beyond your limits and that you will keep his nose bloodied until such time as he ceases his bullying and begins to work with you. That is what the Majority needs to do to keep the minority in line. That is what Democrats must do to keep Republicans in line.

I will not vote Republican in the next election. If there is a qualified Democratic new comer, I will support him or her and if not then I will, with great reservation, be forced to vote for the meek mild mannered Democratic Clark Kent.

March 20, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

Watching Fox go into melt down mode and trying to explain why the tea baggers had such a light turnout was due to the fact they had been there all day and were tired and have left.

This is the first time since election night I have watched Fake the News, but I do get such a giggle out of the llllloooonnnnnggggg faces and the desperate hope that destiny can be avoided.

Guess I will have another "elitist" apple martini and keep watching the Crying Game V.2.0 on Fox!

March 20, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. patricia c

Where are your guts? We need to pass this BILL and the Republicans has used it before ,oh I get it the Royals can use it and everything else to take everything thing away from the Common Person. Thanks

March 20, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. The Only Change I See... is a DICTATORSHIP

Obamadinejad is now officially "Big Bro". Welcome to 1984 – 25 years late.

March 20, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. The American people

If excessive force is required to enact unpopular legislation impacting all citizens of a nation, one need know nothing else to seek its defeat.

March 20, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Mike in MN

I suppose the Democrats will want praise for deciding to not do something they should have never considered in the first place.
    What a bunch of jerks. If it is possible for one box of rocks to be dumber than another, Obama and the Dem leadership would be the dumbest box of rocks on the planet.

March 20, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. RobK

Seems like a couple weeks ago he said that you had to pass the bill first. Something about each reconciliation process taking a "Byrd Bath", referencing the senior Senator from W. Virginia who established most of the modern rules regarding reconciliation. Sounds like some serious arm-twisting (or worse) going on.

March 20, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |