March 21st, 2010

BREAKING: House passes Senate health care reform bill

Washington (CNN) - The House of Representatives has passed a sweeping $875 billion health care reform bill. The measure, which cleared the Senate in December, will now head to President Barack Obama's desk to be signed into law.

The bill passed in a 219-212 vote. All 178 Republicans opposed it, along with 34 Democrats.

Filed under: Health care • House
  1. Albert R. K. . L.A., CA

Last July Sen. DeMint dreamed Republicans would "break" President Obama by making health care "his Waterloo." After 8 months of races posters, tantrums at town halls, yelling at our President during a Congressional speech, abuse of the filibuster like a defiant spoiled brat sitting on the floor with their arms crossed and refusing to budge, it will all come to an end with a small stroke of the pen by a President, a giant leap for America. Universal health care is Obama’s Moon landing and the Republicans are all wet!

March 21, 2010 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  2. ShiWms in Phx AZ - Fired Up...Ready to Go! Yes We Can!

Yes we can!! Let's start working to ensure 7 more great years!!

We love you President Obama!!

March 21, 2010 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  3. u2canfail

Just tonight on local television, 2 separate pleas for help with medical expenses. Auctions, car washes, bake sales. A young girl with cancer, a young man in an accident. The money raised will not make a dent in the costs for treatment. If these families are lucky, they may raise enough money to eat tomorrow. I hope this will stop now, everyone should have access to basic care in America.

March 21, 2010 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. FM

It has never been done before. Congressmen and women who voted yes THANK YOU. You are courageous and you have accomplished something remarkable. We are proud of you ALL.

March 21, 2010 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  5. michael

Thank God...now move on to Jobs Jobs Jobs.....then tackle the Oil prices.

March 21, 2010 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  6. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Life as we once knew it in America just ended. Having lived in Europe, you have no idea what is in store in the days and years ahead.

March 21, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. Screwed

Now we have to listen to pelosi crow for weeks, get ready for more taxes and reduced health care. (unless you are union that is)

March 21, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  8. AndyF

Yes we can? Yes we must, and yes we did! Great day for the everyday American, and finally the insurance crooks won't be able to fleece us and treat us like a number instead of the human beings we are.

March 21, 2010 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. diridi

hurray.....I am very very proud of pres. obama...I shall vote for him....next elections...i decided...I am in india...now...well done...you saved lot of poor americans, god bless you whoever said yeh...thanks

March 21, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  10. Shelly

President Obama's mother must be smiling down from Heaven....no mother will ever have to fight the greedy Health insurance companies while she is fighting for her own life!
    Thank you and God Bless, President Obama for fighting for those who seldom get heard.

March 21, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Ron

TRAITORS!! If you want to live in a country that has a European health care system then MOVE TO EUROPE!! We don't want a European health care system – we want an AMERICAN health care system.Democrats are a bunch of traitors and should be charged with treason. 100 years ago they would all be hanging from a noose. We don't hang people anymore but will certainly vote them out. Enjoy the next 6 months because that is all you have left.

March 21, 2010 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  12. We the People....

It is a VERY SAD day when all of us HARD WORKING folks are FORCED to pay for all the lazy bums in this country. There is no FREEDOM without LIBERTY! LIBERTY does not mean equal!

My rights are being violated since I am being forced to pay for something I want no part of.......

March 21, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. Robert Warner

Now, could John Boehner and his crew of flying monkeys, collectively referred to as the GOP, give us all a break and shut up for a while?

March 21, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. Drew

Congrats to Pelosi and Reid! They just ensured that their party will lose in 2010!

March 21, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. badbad

Well unemployment will sky rocket in the healthcare industry now. Doctors will not be able to afford to pay the staff that is necessary to keep up with the goverment regulations that are already required by CMS and HIPPA. The overhead is already too much. It will be interesting to see what the markets will do this week.

March 21, 2010 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  16. Miss Jay

All 178 Republicans opposed it, along with 34 Democrats. All 178 Republicans and 34 Democrats need to be voted out asap. Great day for the American majority.

March 21, 2010 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  17. normajean

At this point in time, I would suspect that John Boehner is apoplectic. His face and comments, hateful as they may be, have appeared in the media dailey for many months and have grown uglier and more contemptable with each entry. In his ugly intensity, I find myself wondering if somehow he has something to lose that we aren't aware of if this bill passes. We know that some of the politicians have been said to recieve money from the insurance companies, and so could this account for his bombastic protestations? He either is very worried or he is hoping to win an "Oscar" next year.????

March 21, 2010 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  18. Crystal

I am an unemployed single mother of a child with a pre-existing condition... That means that this bill was created so that people like me get health care. That is perfect in a perfect world (which we do not live in).

I am appalled that as an American citizen, (OH by the way, a Operation Enduring Freedom combat veteran) I am required to get this govt mandated health care or be penalized. WHAT? Where is the freedom of choice on whether or not I WANT THIS?

I am not in support of THIS bill, while in support of HCR. I am not in support of the back door "Chicago-politics" that this administration used for this bill.

I am one of over 55% of Americans not in support of this bill, yet they (Big Govt) tell me that they are doing what the majority of Americans want or what they feel we need.

I know I am going to be slammed for being a Republican (which I am not) or that I need to go to foxnews.com, but I am ready to be slammed.

Thank you Mr. President and Ms. Speaker Pelosi for telling me what I want, and what I need...

March 22, 2010 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  19. Obamalism

Stupak changed his vote on a promise from Obama? LOL

Executive orders are issued and rescended on the whim of one man.

Not to mention that the idiots in the house don't realise that, by law, a reconcilliation bill cannot alter S.S. funding in any way and this one does big time. The fixes will not go through the senate just as we predicted.

November will be sooooo entertaining!

March 22, 2010 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  20. A Kickin' Donkey

America First.

I find it completely unacceptable that not one Republican voted for this.

They only participate in a herd mentality and group-speak. It is not reasonable that they could independently think about any piece of legislation and HONESTLY not be able to find anything in it to support.

I will be funding the competitive campaigns of people running against all those that opposed this bill. I'll be starting with those GOP'er's in districts that are not monolithically Republican.

March 22, 2010 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  21. Landre in CA

You go Mr.president the republicans pushed you in a corner and you fought your way out. I was wondering when you would start kicking butt antd taking names......

March 22, 2010 06:44 am at 6:44 am |