March 21st, 2010

Obama on verge of health care reform

Washington (CNN) – If House Democrats pass the Senate bill Sunday night, as is expected, a senior administration official said “it won’t be signed today.”

Instead, President Obama will deliver remarks after the vote in the White House East Room.

The president spent the day working the phones in an effort to sway reluctant Democrats, and reach or exceed the 216 “magic number” needed to pass the Senate bill.

Only too eager to show the president fully engaged with his sleeves rolled up, the White House posted two photos of Obama. One photo showed him taking calls in the Oval Office, the other with his legislative team in chief of staff Rahm Emanuel’s office.

In just the last week, the president has logged more than 90 calls and meetings on health care, according to a senior aide.

A key breakthrough for the administration came Sunday afternoon, after a crucial agreement on language in a pending executive order. It won the support of holdout Rep. Bart Stupak and other anti-abortion Democrats who wanted assurances that federal funds would not be used to cover abortions.

In a statement, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer said the order provided “additional safeguards.”

Mr. Obama plans to issue the executive order “after the passage” of the health care reform bill.

Republicans were quick to attack the latest effort to win support for the president’s top domestic initiative.

House Minority leader John Boehner warned the executive order “can be reversed or altered at the stroke of a pen,” and added that a “yes vote on the Democrats’ health care bill is a vote for taxpayer-funded abortions.”

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. shumno

Did anyone else notice how this is the only Yahoo story for which the buzz-up option is broken? I guess Yahoo wants to be voted "out of office" too. God help this country when this administration passes this bill

March 21, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Texas Jack

I'm so sick of hearing about the muslim name, OBAMA. OBAMA. OBAMA. I could puke.

March 21, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. How are you paying for it???

OBOZO is an idiot.

He is disgusting.

He is arrogant weenie.

Can't wait to see him handed his butt in NOV.

DUMocRATS who think people will forget by NOV are as stupid as they look.

REVOLUTION is coming against the KING / DICTATOR

March 21, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. Cincinnati ohio

I am proud 2 Be an American! I knew President Barack Obama would get this job done!

March 21, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. JoJo

This is not the way democracy works. We the people have no saying about our health care bill. If we read it all, and find a segment that is not to our approval, we stuck with it regardless we like it or not. Hopefuly everyone will be satisfy, but I doubt it. As far as I am concern Ms. Pelosi can use a sledge hammer to preside over vote. A health bill that passes on briberies. And to my amaze why anyone would bribe someone else on a bill that the people that will be affected by, don't even know what's in it. I don't think that bill is for the good of the people, but it is for President Obama, and the democrats own benefits.

March 21, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. medicare not needed but given to my kids

REFORM
    I applied for medicare for myself when I lost my job over 20 months ago
    i am a single mother of two boys 17 and 21
    both children are covered on their fathers cobra because he lost his job 7 months ago............
    what did the govt do?
    they gave the kids medical coverage *(which they did not need)
    and they gave me a 660 monthly deductible on a medical supplement.
    I could have had cobra for 650 but could not afford that either.
    who is reading our applications?
    This is not really helping any of us....now my kids have double coverage and I have none!
    Dunedin FL

March 21, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. erika

Obama will go down as a top 10 President ever... THANK YOU!!

March 21, 2010 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  8. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

I am proud that I voted for our president. All the republicans have offered is lies, fear and hate. How these worthless right wingnuts think they will take over both houses in congress is beyond comprehension.

March 21, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  9. ib

If my congressman votes for this I will vote against him in Nov. No ifs and butts or or's I will vote against him.

March 21, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. liberal wingnut

More gov't employees and more gov't debt.

Nice

March 21, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  11. Perusing-through

For keeping the hopes and flames of healthcare reform alive for the past 50-years. May you be blessed all the days of your life.

And may GOD Bless the United States of America.

March 21, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  12. Michael Tresco

Passing this Bill will take a big step closer to a revolution.

March 21, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

When Obama was sworn into office, he promised to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If Congress is irresponsible enough, insane enough, to pass this idiocy, and Obama signs it, he will have utterly repudiated that oath and in the process betrayed the American people.

March 21, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. David Grimes

Why have we become such a nation of suckers?

There is a clear choice: You can work with
    a) a government bureaucrat whose job is to ensure that you get your health care, or
    b) an insurance company bureaucrat whose job is to take a profit by denying your health care.

For all those who choose (b): You probably already have several deeds to the Brooklyn Bridge.

March 21, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  15. diridi

history in my nation....pres. obama, God bless you, god bless you....we needed this health care reform...desperately....GOP is so idiotic....and stupid....no brain, no concern for common man....sad...pres. obama, we love, you, please sign this health care reform...ok. racial slurs...in 21st century, we are not in 3rd century...ok....Republicans are thugs, and idiotic to play this game...nation's need is this health care reform...we also need to restrict visa into our nation., and pass stricter immigration too...i do not care whether it is dems, or reps...I am a very proud American...ok...a highly educated one...

March 21, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  16. ricosu

What I haven't heard much of in this whole process is this basic truth: if we wait for a bill that's perfect to everyone it will never happen. If both liberals and conservatives are unhappy then maybe it is somewhat balanced. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

March 21, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  17. liberal wingnut

4 new gov't agencies to be created.

More debt more taxes. Impeach now!

March 21, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  18. JuneW

The health care reform bill passed. Hallelujah! Looks like all that praying on the right fell on deaf ears. No hard feelings though, lets all get together and dip a teabag.

March 21, 2010 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  19. Jefe

I want to know why so many Americans who were for the massive expansions of government under Bush I, and Bush II, are now so suddenly against expansion of government. I find it hard to believe all these people were genuinely duped into believing their Republican heroes were actually "Conservative."

March 21, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  20. Lin (Arkansas)

I knew you could do it Mr. President! You're AWESOME. :-)

Obama/Biden '12!!!!

March 21, 2010 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  21. Marcus Tate

When the facts and details that are contained in those almost 3,000 pages come to light, people are not going to be happy. The checks of working people are going to keep going down and down to pay for the entitlements of people who don't work and don't contribute anything to society. Democrats don't understand that the money has to come from somewhere – and right now they want to just keep giving it away. IT'S NOT THEIR MONEY!

What kind of mentality do we have now, to punish hard working people who are fortunate enough to already have health care, so we can hand it out to welfare recipients and illegal immigrants???

Democrats are going to have a hard time come November – and I personally can't wait. Obama is a Socialist, and I wish I hadn't been fooled into voting for him.

March 21, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  22. Phil

Here's to hoping.

March 21, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  23. Rick in OP

When politicians flaunt their arrogance at the wish of the citizens, it is called TYRANNY.
    Do you remember what happened the last time someone tried that in this country?

March 21, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. Todd

boner is really reaking of desperation, more so than usual.

March 21, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  25. elf

I find it amusing that the same party that passed the PATRIOT act sight unseen is complaining about governmental takeovers and how no-one had time to read the bills.

There is a simple solution to this problem.

Switch all senators and representatives to Medicare/Medicaid for six months. Censure them if they try to buy health care with out-of-pocket money outside of copay.

If it's the people's house, let's see how well they cope with being of the people.

March 21, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |