March 21st, 2010

Pence: House GOP 'will use every means at our disposal'

'It’s going to be an interesting day,' Republican Mike Pence said of Sunday afternoon's vote on health care reform in the House.

Washington (CNN) – A prominent House Republican said Sunday that his caucus will do whatever it can to try to stop passage of a Democratic health care reform plan.

“Well, I don’t know if they have the votes,” Rep. Mike Pence, R-Indiana, said on State of the Union, just minutes after Rep. John Larson, chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, said Democrats had lined up the 216 votes necessary to pass the legislation. “House Republicans are going to use every means at our disposal,” Pence said.

Related video: Larson, Pence on health reform

When asked by CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley exactly what House Republicans intended to do, Pence was coy. “Well, stay tuned, Candy. It’s going to be an interesting day.”

The House is set to take up the final Democratic package on Sunday afternoon.

The Indiana Republican also suggested Sunday that Democrats could pay a price at the polls in this year’s midterm elections if they succeed in passing health care reform.

“I don’t know if they [Democrats] have the votes today,” Pence told Crowley as he looked at Larson, “but I guarantee you the American people know they have the votes in November.”

Earlier on State of the Union, Rep. Larson, D-Connecticut, declared that his party has enough votes to pass the reform package.

“We’ve got the votes,” Larson told Crowley.

The Connecticut Democrat also said, “This is a historic day and we are happy warriors. We are so proud of the Democratic caucus that we will be a part of history, joining Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s passage of Social Security, Lyndon Johnson’s passage of Medicare, and now Barack Obama’s passage of health care reform.”

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

Filed under: GOP • Health care • House • Mike Pence • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. thierry grenier

Personally, just saying no to everything even when Democrats go out of their way to include their ideas into ongoing legislation is tantamount to treason of the USA.

March 21, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  2. Chipster

Our insurance premiums increased last year by 84%! But we're lucky because many companies have discontinued health coverage for employees because the cost is too great. Of course, even less fortunate are those who have lost their jobs, therefore lost their insurance. If that happens to you, one serious illness can cost you your home.

All of those unfortunate and desperate people can vote. If they do, do you seriously think they will vote for the Republicans who have the nerve to say that they could do better? For 8 years, they had no interest in the plight of the uninsured.

I think Democrats will do just fine in November unless they fail to pass this reform.

March 21, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Lynne

And why was it we should trust the GOP? Aren't they the party who led the country down the road of financial ruin during Bush/Cheney administration? I don't trust anything they tell us. All I know is, if the Republicans are for it - I'm against it!

March 21, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Mary

I am deeply disappointed that the current un-amended Senate health bill fails to maintain the longstanding policy against federal funding of abortion and does not include adequate protection for conscience. I urge to support essential provisions against abortion funding, similar to those in the House Bill. Include full conscience protection and ensure health care is accessible and affordable for all.

March 21, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Sandy

I know I will not be voting for another Democrat come November. I'm sorry I voted for Obama now, and I wish I could have that vote back.

March 21, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. Dave

I am from Bobby Rush's district and I can tell you my friends and I have no intention of voting for this idiot next election. He has betrayed the constituients of his district and the needs they have. This may not be a perfect bill but it is far better than having nothing (especially for our children). Shame on you Bobby!

March 21, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. hessbug

I'm sick of hearing republicans saying the American people don't want this bill. and I'm sick of the right wing pundits with their lies and fear mongering. I'm an American and I support passage of this bill, as much as it still incorporates a lot of compromises to assuage the health care industry. I support universal coverage. Health care should not be a profit making business, it should be a right. If every american had adequate primary care and access to preventive services, everyone's health would be improved and costs for treatment of serious conditions would decrease. We are already subsidizing the health care of those without health coverage... plus we already have a health care system that is 50% paid by tax dollars. We elected congress and senate to represent us. If they lose their seats in November, so beit. But I think the Republicans are more likely to lose seats than democrats. Let this health bill pass and set the stage for change in our health care system that is more than 100 years overdue!!!! Join the rest of the industrialized world, USA.

March 21, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. DEM in HI

Why don't we discuss how this bill is going to get tossed because of constitutional concerns. First, the Reid section banning future congresses from amending this bill. Second, the requirement to pay into a health care system or face a penalty. This does not compare to social security or a drivers license. There are jobs that do not take out social security, and I can choose to get a drivers license. Then there are payoffs for "buying" votes. Gee, wasn't Obama that promised an end to these kind of riders? I could of swore that he promised to end earmarks during the election. Maybe he meant for that day only.

If this passes, the payback will be in November. Then watch as Obama becomes a one term President. He is becoming another politician who promised many things, and delivered nothing.

March 21, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. sifto77

I am so proud of every Republican for sticking to the constitution and the wishes of Americans who are much smarter than the "elitist" left gives them credit for. I used to be a democrat, except for the abortion thing–no more. They have shown that they are willing to make a "deal with the devil" to seem powerful and "historic". the devil being Nancy Pelosi who claims to be a catholic.Obama has very little to do with this–he hides behind Pelosi hoping she will take the blame..

March 21, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. Joel Miller

Republicans will pull out all the stops to do the bidding of the insurance companies. Time to put them all on the ash heap of history.

March 21, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. TLH

I am Independent. I am a small business owner. The business is wracked with 30+% premium increases every year. It is becoming unsustainable. (One individual's premium is $24K per year). Small business are getting busted under the current insurance processes. As much as I want to see ALL business profit and prosper, the insurance co's have small business and individuals who do not work for large corporations over a barrel. So from my small business perspective, I say: "let's get SOMETHING done". The GOP (for whom I have actually supported more than Dems) have done nothing to help. They say "reform is needed"... but have not been part of the process at all. They stand behind so-called leaders like Bachmann and Boehner who just haven't been part of the process for fear they will help a Dem. President look good. It IS about the American people. I have talked to a lot of small businesses and individuals trying to pay huge monthly premiums who DO want some help. No one wants government running the health care system... and it's not about anyone's healthcare per-se. It's about the insurance industry that has gotten so far off-course that it's becoming an America of "have's and have-nots". I only wish the insurance industry had stood up and said: "this is the solution - we are part of making our industry robust and one that works for everyone"... but they didn't. So it's about time to get this over and done with. Let's get something done today. And if it truly does look like it will help people, god help us all if the GOP then comes up with a way to repeal it!

March 21, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

The American people will remember all of the LIES by the GOP after this bill passes and the people find out that it's a good bill. There's no death panels (never was), businesses get tax breaks (not increases), no more pre-existing conditions, no more being dropped from your insurance when you get sick, your children can stay on your policy until they're 26, your insurance hasn't changed, your Medicare hasn't changed, there's no government take over, you deal directly with doctor, the world hasn't ended, the sky is still blue. ALL GOP LIES! We will remember this November, vote out all the GOP liars. Let's get the country moving forward, the GOP is not interested in the people, just playing political games that hurt the country. All they do is Lie and spread fear. Wake up people. Enough is enough, vote the GOP Out!

March 21, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. ron

Dems will clean up in Nov. Once this bill becomes law and Americans start to enjoy its benefits, republicans will never win the congress or presidency again.....period. Why would anyone vote for these crooks? That's why they are raving mad, telling lies, and stirring hate to try and defeat the bill. They know the bill's passage is the death of the republican party because it's a good bill and for choosing to use underhanded tactics to challenge its passage. America has no use for you. You'll look like the fools you are.

March 21, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. sensible Cape Coral FL

If all the Republicans and Insurance Companies are against this bill, that means it must be a good bill YES??????.

March 21, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Bman

I really don't get it... America will spend close to $3 trillion in total cost (direct and long term) on Iraq only when all is said and done. But will not spend on Health care for its own citizens?!
    Democrats deserve credit for their leadership and love for fellow Americans.

March 21, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  16. Rob M in NY

Republicans are always such sore losers. This bill is great for the country from a humanistic and financial standpoint. The obstructionist party of NO is becomming more and more irrelevant.

March 21, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. Meka

GOP tried to place FEAR in America . . . IT DOSEN'T WORK ANYMORE!

March 21, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. MB Seattle

Voter will have the last comment on this issue. The Republican will have a lot of explaining to do as to why they supported the lobbyist and not the American people.

March 21, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  19. Grace

Just curious but has anyone who is supporting the passage of this bill actually read what is in it. And I mean read the entire 2400 pages of it. There is a lot of talk about the Republicans and their skewed version of it but unless you have read the bill, changes, and know what the deals these Congressmen(women) have made, aren't you just blindly following party lines. From my take this is no health care reform bill, but just a health insurance expansion bill which will end up taxing the percentage of American who actually pay taxes far more than the budget committee is admitting to. I would love the opinion of someone who has read the bill.

March 21, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Larry L

I'm certain the GOP "obstructionist party" will exhaust every effort to block any level of progress in our Country. They got us into this fix and now act like lap-dogs of their coroporate masters.

March 21, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Chad

Republicans agree that the health care system is in trouble, so why didn't they use "any means at their disposal" to reform health care when they were solely in charge from 2001-2007? Oh yeah, because they were too busy starting wars and cutting welfare checks for the rich.

March 21, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. rdepontb

Republicans all-stop threatening the American people. Stop your hatred. The country has had enough of you--you will be voted out in droves unless you reverse course and HELP instead of simply DISRUPT.

March 21, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  23. Jack

Jim,

Do you really believe that everyone who disagrees with you on healthcare is mindless? I personally believe the Federal Government has already reached far beyond its constitutional scope. This is the fault of both Democrats AND Republicans. As disastrous as a governmental agency running health care could be, the process is even more troubling to me.

March 21, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  24. darth in co

The only price Dems are going to pay in November is if they DON'T get health care reform passed and Repugs know that. If Dems do get health care reform passed its the the Repugs that are going to be surprised come November...

March 21, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  25. Froggie

If the health care bill was truly for the freedom of all American's, then no body would have been bribed or blackmailed into voting yes when the senators and house were told by their own people of their state..."We, the people, do NOT want this healthcare bill to pass."

March 21, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |