March 21st, 2010

Pence: House GOP 'will use every means at our disposal'

'It’s going to be an interesting day,' Republican Mike Pence said of Sunday afternoon's vote on health care reform in the House.

Washington (CNN) – A prominent House Republican said Sunday that his caucus will do whatever it can to try to stop passage of a Democratic health care reform plan.

“Well, I don’t know if they have the votes,” Rep. Mike Pence, R-Indiana, said on State of the Union, just minutes after Rep. John Larson, chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, said Democrats had lined up the 216 votes necessary to pass the legislation. “House Republicans are going to use every means at our disposal,” Pence said.

Related video: Larson, Pence on health reform

When asked by CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley exactly what House Republicans intended to do, Pence was coy. “Well, stay tuned, Candy. It’s going to be an interesting day.”

The House is set to take up the final Democratic package on Sunday afternoon.

The Indiana Republican also suggested Sunday that Democrats could pay a price at the polls in this year’s midterm elections if they succeed in passing health care reform.

“I don’t know if they [Democrats] have the votes today,” Pence told Crowley as he looked at Larson, “but I guarantee you the American people know they have the votes in November.”

Earlier on State of the Union, Rep. Larson, D-Connecticut, declared that his party has enough votes to pass the reform package.

“We’ve got the votes,” Larson told Crowley.

The Connecticut Democrat also said, “This is a historic day and we are happy warriors. We are so proud of the Democratic caucus that we will be a part of history, joining Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s passage of Social Security, Lyndon Johnson’s passage of Medicare, and now Barack Obama’s passage of health care reform.”

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

Filed under: GOP • Health care • House • Mike Pence • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. Debbie from AZ

I agree that American's have the vote in November and I intend to use my vote to help rid our country of as many Republicans as I can. The only thing the Republicans chant is lower taxes, lower taxes, tax breaks, tax breaks. Exactly what are we suppose to run our country on with no revenues coming in. Do we borrow more from China? What is your plan to get us out of this budget crisis if you lower everyone's taxes and give more tax breaks to the rich and corporations? Please, enlighten me oh powerful, know it all, Republicans.

March 21, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Joe

There has always been health care for any and all Americans. It is called County Hospitals. They have always been there for anyone who cannot pay or who has no insurance. They might have to wait several hours, but care was available. But that care is not good enough. Liberals want timely and immediate care for people who do not contribute to the gross national product just like working people. This current healthcare bill is designed to give all those people who want to sit on the behinds and do nothing the same insurance as working people. And the people who work get to pay for it. And all those Americans who have worked for decades to get to retirement, their Medicare and medical support just goes down the tubes. This bill is pitiful and will be the undoing of our nation. It is the start of a socialist nation where the government sees all and takes care of everything. We have a President who wants to model this nation after Spain, France and all the other nations where government dictates citizen's lives. What we are witnessing is the demise of this great nation.

March 21, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. David

First thing everyone needs to understand about our failed two party "democracy" is this; NO ONE in DC (Right or Left) gives a rats ass about you or me or anyone else that isn't a CEO, or huge stock holder, or anyone that doesn't make a million dollars. Aetna raised me and my wife's premium from $250 to $550 dollars a month. Who can afford that?
    Maybe this bill isn't the answer, but one thing is for sure, we need something. As far as I'm concerned, we need to fire every politician in DC, and start over. Our Government has been on a downward spiral since the 60's. It's time to re-think it all over again.

March 21, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  4. aj

Republicans will use every means at their disposal to fight every single initiave that does not support their agenda of hatred, bigotry and regressiveness. Unless Democrats want to go to war, impede on the civil rights of americans or cut all programs that do not further the goal of corporate America at the expense of mane street, they can expect obstruction from Republicans. Americans support the agenda of the right so they really deserve what they get.

March 21, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Turn Texas Blue

Never forget this guys face and the rest of the neoCONs.

March 21, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. GO Away Kevin

@Kevin in Ohio March 21st, 2010 12:05 pm ET
    I'm praying today..... praying that some democrats can see the horrible effects this bill will have on our country. I've already lost my own doctor.... I can't imagine what will happen to my insurance should this bill pass
    .***You are no better than the Street Preacher .....Shouting and Spreading Lies !!!! You already lost your Doctor .....Cuz your Doctor is Sick and Tired of Your Hypocritical A$$

March 21, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  7. vernis robertson

These are active members of the KKK.

March 21, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. Howard

If the health care bill passes and its benefits are understood I suspect the Republicans, not the Democrats, will have much to fear at the polls.

March 21, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Karen

I understand that everyone needs to have health care, but FORCING us to have health care is another issue. AND what about all the IRS agents that are needed to enforce this. Just more government jobs! Does everyone realize what is going to happen if this bill is signed today? More government telling us what to do! We need to FIX what we have, not another bill to force more government! I see everyday how government wastes money and I seen first hand how hard it was to get things approved through the medicare system. I do not want the government telling my doctor what he can or cannot do! We CANNOT let this go through. Too many people's lives are at stake not to mention jobs! We need to concentrate on fixing what we have not making new 'promises' for change!

March 21, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  10. John

Your hard earned money is already paying for those without health insurance every month you pay your insurance. Hospitals charge enough so that the care they are not paid for is covered by those that do have coverage. I wish people would read and research things before simply listening to talking points by others.

I am a former health care worker so I am familiar with how those things are done. Trust me, you would be shocked to find how much you pay towards you bill that is there to cover the uninsured.

@Ken,

That may be true but currently I can choose whether or not I want to spend my money in that way. With this bill, the IRS will be coming for me if I choose to not pay for others. Since I'm healthy under a high deductible plan, currently I pay for only catastrophic coverage. I haven't paid a medical bill in 5 years. Why should I pay for you?

March 21, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. Tomtrishy

We have 3 rights, conferred by God: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. All of the other rights, "entitlements", that the government has conferred upon us are illegitimate. We have no "right" to healthcare. In order to force this phony "right" on us the government must now grow to an obscene size, intruding ever deeper into our lives, and threating our real rights. Our liberty and pursuit of happiness will be ditrectly affected, while the lives of the sick, elderly, an unborn will be in jeapordy. This is not just a coincidence. Liberalism and progressivism are antithetical to America.

March 21, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  12. "fed" up

You know this is really sad. People support blindly based solely on party affiliation. I see people complaining about big business and low and behold our country is run by two of the biggest most corrupt businesses there are. How quickly people forget that during Bush's 8 years the Dem's did nothing but say "no". If anyone for one second thinks that Big Business only supports the Republican party they are insane. Business is business and they hedge their bets, I would guarantee it. How else would you explain political fund raising?

March 21, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. Manny HM

All Republicans will vote No. This solid vote is rather disturbing to me because it means that there was no independent thinking that was exercised. It's merely following the dictate of the party.

March 21, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. Len (Colorado)

What the tea party did to some of the African American Congressman yesterday, spitting and yelling racial terms, shows the real make up of Republicans, right wing conservatives, and right wing talking heads.

The informed and non-racists in this country will make sure the PARTY of NO is defeated in Nov. 2010 and President Obama isa re-elected in 2012!

March 21, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. mark

They say the bill is going to save us $130 billion over ten years? That's roughly $10 billion a year. Our budget deficit is running over a trillion a year, what is $10 billion going to do with reducing our debt? Our country will be bankrupt before most of this bill is enacted. I think we need health care reform but in a more fiscal way.

March 21, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. Elle in WA

I was recently called a "freeloader" by a Republican family member and told, "nobody put a gun to your head and told you to start your own business" when we were discussing how my 4-year-old is not covered under our private insurance plan due to a preexisting condition. I was completely taken back!
    Do you Republicans honestly think that we small business owners, who work hard in our Capitalist system to start our own businesses, who are the middle-class BACKBONE of this country, and pay our own way to make a better life for our families, deserve to be abused by the insurance companies? Does my 4-year-old deserve to be denied coverage? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

So why don't you look at it this way: You're enjoying great healthcare provided to you by the company you work for. Does that make YOU a "freeloader"?? If it weren't for a DEMOCRAT who mandated that all companies with over 25 employees provide healthcare to their employees, and you had to pay for your own healthcare coverage by an insurance company who refused to cover you because of a minor surgery you had 3 years ago, you might understand what the rest of us are going through and agree that something needs to be done.

March 21, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. Scott

Well, there was that sign threatening gun violence with a browning at the rally yesterday. Who know how far these seditious traitors will go?

March 21, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. Biller

I am in medical billing, I can assure you, it DOES NOT matter what a physician charges, because the insurance companies are only going to pay so much anyway and the physicians have to write off the difference anyway. It is CMS (the government) that sets the guidelines and insurance carries follow their lead. And MEDICARE says it is illegal for a doctor to charge less to a patient with no insurance than what you bill Medicare AND by Medicare THEY DO NOT ALLOW PHYSICIANS TO DISCOUNT PATIENTS. IT IS THE GOVERMENT THAT HAS CREATED THIS MESS TO BEGIN WITH BECAUSE OF CMS GUIDELINES. do not be fooled!

March 21, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. Beth

@DB in Texas
    Nice job copying and pasting from the crazy GOP sites-this information is not correct. Why don't you actually READ THE BILL and stop copying and pasting (it is all over the right-wing Internet).

I honestly don't agree with everything in the bill, but I also know that if it does not pass it will be at least another 8 years before anyone (Rep or Dem) tackles this again-there will not be any "small incremental" bills proposed by the Repubs (it is now political poison). So by not passing, we are truly saying that all Americans do not have guaranteed health care. By passing, we can work with the bill, amend it to make it better, and make progress from within-both repubs and dems.

March 21, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. IMissTheBannerPlane

Most are aware that 20 % of their health bill payment goes twords the uninsured. But it's up to the uninsured to have an epithany while paying their monthly bills for cell phone and cable tv hbo gold package.. to take the time and check out affordable health plans .If it is unaffordable.. many states have family care programs to assist them. Unfortunately.. this info usually stays in their kids backpacks with cookie crumbs.

March 21, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. Howard

Ken in NC

I bet if you suddenly lost your job or had your insurance canceled you would be grateful for health care provided by other people. Do you or members of your family accept Medicare? Would you deny your parents Medicare? Isn't this, in your view, "socialized medicine"? Shame on you for your hypocrisy.

March 21, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. John in NY

How can anyone vote on a bill with two thousand page in so short amount of time .I know you Democratic love your team but this America would just stop think for one min and stop being a sheep.Are law maker now must vote on this health care bill set there like 3days go .read and understand whats in it how can they in a short amount of time ,But some how they have talking points where did they get them talking point. Use some commen sense for one min ,where not backing a sport team here.Superstar president Obama got $20 million to run for the office of president in 2008 from health care industry.Your super star Obama is going to give less and you will pay more do understand this.This bill was written by lobbyist working for Genentech one of the world largest biotechnlogy companies The same lobbists gave Obama $20 million to run in 2008,that same lobbyist wrote statements for both Democratic and Republican law makers .It may look like it is a conflict, but are actually pushing the agendas of monetary/bankers biotech,pharmaceutical and Insurance corporations . This is a huge hoax another banker bailout going on YOUR super star is a huge hoax.

March 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. True Democrat

If excessive force is required to enact unpopular legislation impacting all citizens of a nation, one need know nothing else to seek its defeat.

March 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. Tammy

As long as no one does any physical harm to any leaders. These protesters are nuts.

March 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  25. Anon

If you had a kid with cancer, or a college graduate that is getting denied for individual coverage in this jobless recovery (I have both, by the way) You would be for this bill in a big way. Before you press your case against this bill, take a good hard look at those with no insurance and repeat "there but for the grace of God go I".

Don't even get me started about the pills that cost 80 bucks each here, and 25 bucks each in Canada. These aren't subsidized drugs in Canada. Big drug companies are fleecing the American public and have been for years. It is a legalized (thanks to payoffs to Congress) crime syndicate.

If Republicans had been doing the job of protecting us from the healthcare industrial complex, we would not need this bill, and there would not be nearly as many people clamoring for it.

March 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |