March 22nd, 2010

Aide: Obama more excited by bill passing than being elected

The president was joined by Vice President Biden and senior staff in the White House Sunday night as the health care reform bill passed in the House.

Washington (CNN) – The significance of Sunday night’s historic health care reform vote in the House was not lost on President Obama, according to one of his senior aides.

“I haven’t seen the president so happy about anything – other than his family – as long as I’ve known him and worked with him,” White House senior adviser David Axelrod said Monday on CNN’s The Situation Room. “Even Election Night, he was not as excited as he was last night.”

Asked again by CNN’s Wolf Blitzer about the president’s reaction, Axelrod reiterated the unprecedented nature of the moment for the president.

“I am here to bear witness, Wolf,” Axelrod said. “That is absolutely the case. He was excited that night [on Election Night] but not the way he was last night. Last night, he had the feeling of satisfaction that we had actually helped so many people across this country and given the American people more security and more peace of mind, and that this is something that will benefit generations to come.”

On Tuesday, Obama is set to sign the 2000+ page Senate bill passed by the House, making that piece of legislation the law of the land and setting in motion an overhaul of the nation’s health care system.

Also on Tuesday, the Senate will take up a second bill of tweaks to the larger bill. The two bills taken together constitute the Democrats’ plans for health care reform. Senate Republicans have vowed to try to interpose a number of procedural obstacles in an attempt to frustrate passage of the second bill. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said late last week that he has the 51 votes necessary to pass the second bill through a special budgetary procedure designed to avoid a Republican filibuster.

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

1. Marie MD

I don't find this strange at all since the President lived through hell when his Mother was sick and couldn't get insurance.
    Most of those repugs have enough money to pay for insurance for their rest of their lousy lives and still leave enough money to their spawns.

March 22, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  2. LizinstLouis

I agree with the president...if he will lose re-election (hypothetical at this point) because he dared to improve the lives of 32 million more people in America ( I am avoiding the term 'American people' because the GOP think they are the only ones entilted to it) and also end Health insurance discrimination of people with pre-existing conditions, so be it. It is a characteristic of a true leader putting the people before politics. Needless to say, many politicians shy away from doing what is morally right so as not to lose re-election. Talk of Greed! Go Obama! You have done those people I mentioned earlier proud including me of course!

Longterm, many people especially those who dislike the bill due to scare/fear tactics (Remember the story of WMDs?)will discover the truth down the road i.e. the bill is not as bad as they make it sound and I am sure some members of their families will come to benefit from it too.

March 22, 2010 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  3. Stacie

I was too was very excited last night. Thank you President Obama for fighting so hard for health care reform. You truly are living up to our expections. President Obama succeeded where so many democratic and republican presidents had failed.

As someone with a preexisting condition, I can now sleep better knowing that if I lose my job I won't also lose my ability to get health insurance. Thank you Mr. President!

March 22, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  4. eolufemi

I'm proud of my country for electing this man. He actually gets it.

March 22, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  5. Accountant Guy

Good job Mr. President! Glad that you were able to get the job done, even though the Republicans, as usual tried to derail anything good for this country. Hopefully, Rush Limbaugh keeps his promise and leaves the US. He can take all the Republicans and racist Tea Party members with him too.

March 22, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  6. anthony

thats right .obama is getting things don.

March 22, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  7. G.Dumo

Congratulation to President Obama.

I hope this healthbill will help all u.s population.

March 22, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  8. T'SAH from Virginia

Mr. President – we're behind you all the way!!!

Last night was another tear-jerker for me – not as much when President Obama was elected – but enough to let me know this vote was RIGHT!!!

March 22, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  9. diridi

I shall vote for this dude, if he runs for the office. not only vote but also support his campaign...he passed health care, land mark in American history while seven failed....fabulous obama...wonderful for our nation...god bless you pres. obama...my vote for you...

March 22, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  10. Dale

Health care is too complex a topic for Republicans to comprehend.

Do you really think you are currently covered just because you pay into insurance? Naive. My mother paid her health insurance for many years before she was diagnosed with cancer. As soon as the bills started to mount, her insurance company flat out refused to pay and told her to go home and die– her treatment was too expensive and she was no longer profitable. That is the current system. That is the system that Republicans from the highest paid-off congressman to the lowest redneck hick are defending. This is the status quo of the richest nation in the world that has the most ineffective health care system of any civilized nation.

Republicans defend the lives of the unborn and care nothing for the lives of the born. Hypocrisy, ignorance and callous lack of feeling. I used to be a Republican and this is why I am now Independent.

March 22, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Denna

President Obama should be very excited. This subject has been kicking around for too long and finally a President with guts fought for America. I'm sure the insurance lobby can't believe this is happening. The GOP look like fools trying to use procedural obstacles. Why don't you let the public decide, in November, how they like this? After all, we hired him, not you. He ran on a platform of reforming health care and he has delivered. What have you accomplished GOP, What? What??????

March 22, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. JFK

I am happy too about this legislation. Healthcare should not even be a for profit industry in my opinion. But this at least guarantees a little bit more dignity for those living in the land of the free! Just sad to see so many selfish repulsive people in this country so angry and hateful.

March 22, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. tail-thumping dog

If Obama had captained the creation of a universal healthcare system that every citizen could participate in, I'd be cheering him as a true American hero.

This watered-down concession of a bill gives in to big business and their interests. I don't want any part of it and especially resent being penalized in 2014 if I refuse to participate- e.g. spend my money.

The president may have not started the middle-east wars, but he's taking too long to get out. We could have finded healthcare for everyone with the wasted funds used half-a-world away.

March 22, 2010 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  14. Linda

I also found last night as exciting as the night the President was elected. We will be fortunate if the President decides to run again and wins. However, perhaps the most important weapon that the President has against the fringe who run the repug party is the fact that our President is more concerned with the job he is doing than the campaign he might be running.

March 22, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. Brett

That's 'cause he finally got what he wanted: utopian socialist policies. To paraphrase Bastiat:

'By what right does the law force me to conform to the social plans of Mr. Obama, Mrs. Pelosi, or Mr. Reid? If the law has a moral right to do this, why does it not, then, force these gentlemen to submit to my plans? Is it logical to suppose that nature has not given me sufficient imagination to dream up a utopia also? Should the law choose one fantasy among many, and put the organized force of government at its service only?'

Obama is so happy now because he sees the world through a very radical lens, and he's blind to the reality of what this bill's passage means. He took too many classes from Reverend Wright and not enough classes on economics; even the humblest of economics freshmen realizes that decreasing competition (which is what this bill does) RAISES prices.

March 22, 2010 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. aware

It is time to tame the powers and principalities. The adolescent Obama has gone way over the line! :(

March 22, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. Preserving our freedoms

So how do the 4 million unemployed Americans afford healthcare if they are mandated to do so and they have no jobs? This means that they can't afford to pay the penalty either, right? Must address jobs first.

March 22, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  18. JES

You sold us out for your so called health care reform.

Thank you for putting us deeper in debt the we will never get out of.

You can't blame everything on bush ram another one down our throats.

March 22, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  19. Save 'em in the womb, so a "christian" holy war can send 'em to the tomb

God bless you President Obama you have done something no President has been able to accomplish in the last 40 years, health care for 32 million working class Americans!

It was also telling that NOT ONE republiKKKan speech Sunday gave two hoots about constituents just that the number one party of NO agenda was to make you “fail”.

Well they “failed” I am both glad and proud to say that you did what is morally right ands won against bold faced selfish greed as advocated by the Rabid Riech.

Also, a win for the American people will definitely give the Dems a club to beat up on the Reds in November.

It will be interesting to see how in the months running up to November, the cons spin that they voted NO for keeping kids on their parent's plans until they are 26, voted NO to prevent the continued process of allowing insurers to dismiss medical insurance and a NO vote to prevent discrimination against folks with pre-existing conditions.

How they voted NO and would deny both pre and post-natal care to those precious zygotes they proclaim to care so much about. Voted NO to prevent well baby care from reaching the working poor single mothers. Voted NO on closing the donut hole in Medicare for Seniors.
    Voted against the middle class and for their "god" money

Rove and Newt will really twist themselves into a pretzel trying to explain that one! Every time they turn around there will be a Dem ad reminding the citizenry!

I want the Dems to be able to paint the entire party of NO as just that. That way the point can be made there is not a shred of compassion in the hearts of even one republiklan.

I will chuckle every time Dem candidates remind America that the Reds were looking out for 31 insurance companies, while the Dems were looking out for 31 million working poor Americans!!!

Running on the Party of NO platform to alienate 32 million voters is fine with me, your only filling up a revival tent now, and this brilliant campaign strategy will turn it into a parasol, to protect you from the sun at the KKK rallies in the Southern states!

You tea bagging clowns have underestimated the political savvy of President Obama and did it at your own peril. Your party has now been painted into a corner by an “empty suited community organizer”!

Of course, your party is either too stupid or arrogant to realize just what you will have to explain to the American electorate since your still screaming "socialist" and "baby killer".

I think I envision ABBA‘s "Waterloo" as the background music for some of those Dem ads.

March 22, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  20. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

Helped so many people? What's this smoking?

Obama seems intent on absolutely bankrupting the country, thereby ruining the lives of millions of people!

March 22, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Barbara,TX

This is great for ALL American people to now finally have Heathcare reform. Repubs remind me of the mood in Washington when the Civil Rights Bill was passed..Sound like a bunch on RACIST to me..This hate group is very similiar to the hate group know as the KKK .Look at the good they did, you know with the burning of humans,killing and torture.When when we finally in the media call a duck a duck..THIS IS PURE RACISM...IN THE REPUBLIC PARTY AKA' TEA PARTY..This measure of hatred would not be if the President was not black .But they forget he is WHITE TOO..Remeber his MOTHER IS WHITE.So maybe he want the best for both his Mother and Dad's RACE..Think about it.And that spells JUSTICE FOR ALL...Great job Dems and President Obama for recognizing everybody with prejudice. GOD BLESS YOU ALL. AND GOD BLESS THE UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA...

March 22, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  22. GJ

Victory...tastes delicious!!

March 22, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Ancient Texan

The thrill of kick-starting a Socialist Nation perhaps? But come November, the people will through a kink is this agenda.

March 22, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. Luke Brown

Thank you Mr. President.

My son is graduating from college and I was informed that my insurance company would not cover him when he ceased to be a fulltime student.

The job market is really bad for young people just getting started in life, and not having health insurance only makes it harder.

How could anyone be against this? He and I will have to pay the premiums, so it doesn't cost the taxpayers anything.

March 22, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  25. JoJo

I don't know what's the big deal on that health care bill. First of all I don't expect insurance companies going to drop their rates, that's not what they are in the business for. Some of the premiums might even go up. And two you can't make it mandatory for everyone, because not eveyone can afford health insurance. So the health institutions will have their patients apply for Medicaid. That's been done before. So Medicare premium might go up, like anything else, nobody said that the economy is any better now than when it was a year ago. I don't see the problem. And I don't see it yet how that new health care bill going to do anything any better or worse than what it was again a year ago.

March 22, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |