March 22nd, 2010

CNN poll: Majority disapprove of Obama for first time

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll reveals that 51 percent of respondents disapprove of President Obama's job performance.

Washington (CNN) – For the first time, a CNN poll has found that a majority of Americans disapprove of President Obama's job performance.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday, 51 percent of respondents disapprove of Obama's job performance and 46 percent approve of it.

Full results (pdf)

Obama's approval rating has dropped steadily each month since December, when it was 54 percent. His highest approval rating in a CNN poll was 76 percent in February 2009 shortly after he took office.

The new poll was conducted before the House on Sunday narrowly approved the Obama administration's signature domestic policy proposal: health care reform.

The measure, which Obama plans to sign on Tuesday, represents the biggest expansion of federal health care guarantees since Medicare and Medicaid were enacted more than four decades ago.

In fact, health care was the policy area that drew the second highest negative rating, with 58 percent registering disapproval. The highest negative rating was 62 percent for his handling of the federal deficit.

While his performance ratings have slid, Americans personally like Obama. The poll found that 70 percent of respondents approve of him as a person, and only 25 percent disapprove.

On the economy overall, 54 percent disapprove of his work and 43 percent approve. He scored well for his handling of the environment and education, as well as on national security.

"Obama scores some of his best numbers on 'commander-in-chief' issues - Afghanistan, Iraq, and terrorism," said Keating Holland, CNN polling director. "In January, 51% approved of Obama's handling of Afghanistan; that number is now 55%, an indication that the public has a positive view of the latest military offensive in that country."

The CNN poll was conducted on March 19-21 through telephone interviews with 1,030 adult Americans. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: CNN poll • Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. dan

I am glad for once, a candidate I voted for did what he promised and delivered on heath care reform!!! The fact that he did so in an economy that is abysmal is even a greater achievement.

March 22, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. joel

I Approve of Obama, that's all the matters!

March 22, 2010 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Ancient Texan

Devoting all of his time and energy to constant, non stop campaigning, all the while ignoring the will of the American People, is just the start of his problems. Dropping any pretense of co-operating with the loyal opposition, forming all major bills behind closed doors, the attitude of "I won, we're gonna do it my way, might also have a little to do with it. His rating will drop still farther when he and the far left Congress takes up his amnesty for illegal immigrants.

March 22, 2010 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. Pip

So people approved of Obama while he was spending a year trying to pass this bill, but not of Obama now that he has passed this bill? Voters are sheep, and void of any actual thought. Other than the tea party's racism/homophobia/bigotry I can't see any substantial rationalization against this bill.

March 22, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Jeff

I don't believe this for a second

March 22, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  6. Gman

This healthcare reform bill is a disaster. The so-called stimulus bill a waste of money. The political rankor is pathetic. President Obama has been a huge disappointment. I guess at this point we have to hope he is only a one term president.

March 22, 2010 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  7. Lee, Ann Arbor Michigan

His approval rating will drop even further as it sinks in to the American public that this is a President that wants to take this country into socialism, where government is so big, you have to rely on it for everything.

I know a lot of people that have told me that they regret their voting for Obama in November 2008 and will NOT make a mistake like that again. He is showing his true colors and the gig is up...people have caught on that he is a far left liberal with a real love of socialism/marxism and the American people certainly don't want that.

March 22, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  8. Phil Brock

I believe Mr. obama is doing the work of the anti-CHRIST, who will soon be revealed. But fear not, Greater is JESUS CHRIST than the anti-christ. Give your heart to JESUS now and follow HIS teachings in the HOLY BIBLE,and He will take care of us, HE has already defeated satan, who's work mr. obama is doing by bring GOD"S Judgement on America by murdering our precious unborn babies. I believe mr. obama wants to destroy America and our way of life to usser in the one world government that is prophicied in The BIBLE for the last days. PRAISE the mighty name of JESUS, HE' S COMING BACK SOON, Plesae be ready to meet him. And I pray that everyone who reads this meets HIM as their SAVIOR and not their Judge.

March 22, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. Jon

Why is this a news story? The only place he has decent numbers is where he has kept the status quo on Afghanistan, the only place he hasn't gone completely radical left on us. Once he decides to return to his leftist try-and-negotiate-with-terrorists routine and cut and run, those numbers will drop to a more realistic level.

March 22, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. dw

Well,,,,,we can all see what a devastating effect really low poll numbers had on the Bush pResidency. I'm sure Mr. Obama will lose a lot of sleep over it.

March 22, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  11. Shane

Hey CNN- 40,000,000 million people surveyed think you're trying too hard to be fox "news," unfortunately, you ended up being the enquirer!! Your "news" network is over and done!

March 22, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  12. Pat F

Barry, you ain't seen NOTHING yet.

March 22, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  13. Dooley

The politics of destruction works because uninformed people vote and do not take the time to really learn the issues. They listen to hate radio and hate tv (Fox). They fail to try to understand or cannot and they make decisions on one or two issues when so many issues really count. SHAMEFUL! Obama is the best president since Franklin Roosevelt.

March 22, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  14. Mike

No one ever polls me. No one polls anyone I know. Yes I'm a registered voter. These polls are lame.

March 22, 2010 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  15. Robert

Stupid people. This is the best president we've had in decades... works his heart out for the populace. A true gentleman.

March 22, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  16. vic

I dont know what is happening to CNN recently, I dont enjoy watching them anymore. It seem lately Wolf blitzer and the other anchors are trying to beat Fox news channel by acting like them... they try to embelish obvious lies coming from the republican party. I think we are watching the demise of this ones great station0

March 22, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. Luke Brown

I am an independent and I am still proud of my votes for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984. That was a great man and true American.

Today the Republican party is just a bunch of bigots and small-minded, self-serving politicians. I voted against them in 2008, and I will vote against them again this fall.

Hey GOP, you lost. Get over it if you ever want back in. Obama is not perfect, but he is our President and should be treated with respect.

March 22, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  18. Ras Disputin

Evil forces at work!

March 22, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Jon

Not surprising and likely not permanent. Once the focus shifts off of health care and the Republican sound machine must spread itself over a variety of issues, I expect his numbers to rebound.

March 22, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  20. Gregg B

No kidding! even the commies news network (CNN) and a BHO lover now tell what is known to Americans for a year now. The real approval rating is in the 30s, but the propaganda press won't tell you.

March 22, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. deborah

I am very please of the health care bill passing. But it is a shame that so many people oppose and don't even understand what they oppose. It's not that complicated. But it appears that is not really about being a decent and moral human being with all the bickering about the cost; not having any concern about the value of saving lives. If a peron can get affordable health care before he or she becomes seriously ill, and receive some preventive care or maitenance, then we won't have to pay for them coming to the emergency room or even being admitted, which we wil then be responsible for. I think it's about the rejcetion of Obama being the President and the racist feelings that's still a part of this country.If many of you that feel you are a great American of Christian faith then you know you willl reap whatyou sow, and God have mercy on your bitter souls.

March 22, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. dem in tx

a courageous leader who did the right thing vs. following irrational & irresponsible rhetoric. The easy thing to do would be to run from Health Care and offer a tax break.....but it would've been the stupid thing to do. He's done something many great presidents over the past 90 years haven't been able to do. Once the public sees how beneficial this reform is to the average family, his polls will climb.

March 22, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  23. mom

CNN, Is a little late in revealing this. We conservatives have had a very low opinion of him for years AND I haven't liked him since I the first I saw him!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  24. reality check

It will be fun to see the polls next week! I expect a big jump.
    Yes we can!

March 22, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  25. West Coast Conserv

The United States of America has been victorious over all other foreign invaders. This will be the case for Hussein and his socialist progressive party as well.

March 22, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |