March 22nd, 2010

McCain anticipates 'a very nice reunion' with Palin

John McCain and Sarah Palin on election night in 2008.
John McCain and Sarah Palin on election night in 2008.

Washington (CNN) – Sen. John McCain said Monday he is looking forward to a "very nice reunion" with his former presidential running mate, Sarah Palin, when she campaigns alongside him later this week in Arizona.

Palin will join McCain at two rallies at the end of the week in Tucson and Phoenix, their first appearance together in public since the 2008 presidential race. Former Rep. J.D. Hayworth is challenging McCain in the Republican primary, a race McCain said he is not taking for granted.

McCain told C-SPAN his campaign has received an "overwhelming response of people that want to come to the rallies."

"Sarah did galvanize our party after she agreed to be my running mate, and the speech she gave at the convention," McCain said. "I am sure she will do the same thing when she comes to Arizona."

He added: "It will be a very nice reunion, to have the chance to spend some time with her, and I am very grateful that she would come to Arizona."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Dean

Yeah John she sure did galvanize your party alright. The world now see 's them as the heartless, mindless neanderthals they are.

March 22, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. CHIPS

Yell, how did it work out for you in your presidential bid?

March 22, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. Irma in North Carolina

Yes John I bet you are very excited over Sarah. I hope your wife is there to keep and eye on you.

March 22, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  4. I Am The Narcissistic Wizard of Rush and I Say . . .

How sweet.
    Go JD

March 22, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. Kate

McCain...it is time that you stepped down anyway. You are against the American people for the most part. You only do what lines your own pockets. Sarah Palin took you down once, why give her a chane to do it again? You have served enough years and we need new blood.

March 22, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Debbie from AZ

Mr. McCain, as a democrat, I certainly hope that Sarah Palin helps you as much with your campaign here as she did when you ran for President. I hope you two have a really nice reunion.

March 22, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. cg

Good luck John , but I for one would rather she stayed in Alaska than campaign in Arizona with you .....remember last time????

March 22, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Gobsmacked

Both pathetic. I'm sure McCain will finally enjoy being in the company of someone who's just as spineless as he.

March 22, 2010 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Seattle Sue

John will be unemployed after the November election unless he can get Sarah to hire him for her t.v. show.

March 22, 2010 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Chipster

Sarah is the reason you had to tell a pitiful woman at a rally that – yes, indeed, Obama is an American citizen. She is the reason for the extremely ugly turn your rallies took. She didn't say "thanks but no thanks" to the earmark funds for the bridge to nowhere, didn't sell the plane on ebay, and didn't sell it for a profit. Her energy statistics were far off the mark. She may be cute on the surface but her problem with "truthiness" is ugly to the bone.

March 22, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. frank

Just perfect, but i wish they just goe away, they have no idea the damage they have done to the republican party.

March 22, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Linda

Heaven help this man! He really belives in what he's saying!!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  13. ConsiderThis-FL

McCain, McCain, McCain – he just can't seem to get Sarah out of his system. I wonder what Cindy thinks about their "reunion?"

March 22, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. Love Thy Neighbor

Is it necessary to write negative comments for no reason?
    This is why our nation is in the shape it is. Bitter and divided.

March 22, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. 7papa7

I use to think she was a conservative. I seriously doubt it now. If she were she would never support a RINO, especially when their is a hard core conservative running against him. She has disappointed me and I am confident all conservatives. Your actions are speaking to loud to hang the conservative label on this lady.

March 22, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. njfinest2009

He can kiss that re-election goodbye!

March 22, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. sherry

"Dumb and dumber "...the sequel....that should be interesting if not entertaining

March 22, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Laurie

Larry, Moe, but where's Curly?

March 22, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  19. jeff jackson, alabama

Palin should tell McCain to take a hike.
    He lost the White House in the last election.
    She was drawing crowds in the tens of
    thousands and he was drawing crowds
    in the dozens.
    She owes him and his staff....NOTHING !!!!!
    The loyalty road only went one way for McCain.

March 22, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. T'SAH from Virginia

I am supposed to be CIVIL in my post and not say anything that would directly affect the person I am about to speak about. So with that, I will say –

"McCain, are you sure this is a good idea since Ms. Palin represents the far-right and your views are much different from hers. Do you really believe the far-right Tea Party members are going to embrace you when they are already talking about you not being conservative enough for them to get behind?"

Also, Ms. Palin – Where do you stand as far as the Tea Party is concerned. I have noticed – lately – you seem to be quite quiet about what is going on?

March 22, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She'll say things that mean nothing or very little. He'll try to understand and not really be sure where he stands on things.

March 22, 2010 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. beevee

What really is this old man thinking about the reunion?

March 22, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. ericmiami

Does Cindy know about this?

March 22, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  24. Adalbert

The meeting of the incompetents.

March 22, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. sophia nyc

It's a real problem when you need palin in your own state to get in the crowds.

March 22, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |