March 22nd, 2010

Stupak award rescinded

In a press conference Sunday, Rep. Bart Stupak explained his decision to reach a deal with President Obama that involves Obama issuing an executive order about abortion funding.

Washington (CNN) – An anti-abortion rights organization is withdrawing an award it planned to present Rep. Bart Stupak, after the Michigan Democrat announced Sunday he would support health care reform legislation.

The Susan B. Anthony List had chosen Stupak to receive the “Defender of Life” award at the “Campaign for Life Gala” Wednesday here in the nation’s capital. Stupak and several Democrats said that they would vote for the health care bill after President Obama assured them that no federal funding would be allowed to pay for abortion. Obama released an executive order that emphasized abortions would not be paid for with federal dollars.

“By accepting this deal from the most pro-abortion President in American history, Stupak has not only failed to stand strong for unborn children, but also for his constituents and pro-life voters across the country,” Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, said in a statement shortly before the House was set to vote on the controversial bill.

Dannenfelser charged that the executive order was not enough.

"The executive order on abortion funding does absolutely nothing to fix the problems presented by the health care reform bill that the House will vote on this evening,” she said. “The very idea should offend all pro-life Members of Congress. An executive order can be rescinded at any time at the President's whim, and the courts could and have a history of trumping executive orders. Most importantly, pro-abortion Representatives have admitted the executive order is meaningless."

Updated: 11:28 p.m.: Rep. Stupak spoke with CNN Sunday night about the decision of the Susan B. Anthony List. "I didn't seek the award," Stupak told CNN, "I stood on my principle. I don't need an award."

–CNN Producer Lesa Jansen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Abortion • Bart Stupak • Health care • President Obama
  1. AProudCitizen

I like that.. "PRINCIPLES"! I always admired a person who does not follow blindly like sheep... Woot Woot! Stupak. The man!

March 22, 2010 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  2. JC from Kansas-40 years a Republican -so sorry

At a time when Conservatives are screaming you can not tell me what to do as an individual with regard to health care, they sure seem to be dancing to a different tune when it comes to the pro-life issue. Hyprocrites, I remember America prior to the legalization of abortions, perhaps they need to refresh their selective history accounts.

March 22, 2010 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  3. Rowny J Vidot

I do not think that President Obama is a pro-abortion President, he has children of his own, and I am sure he accepts the fact that Abortion ( unless if it is life threatening especially to the mother) should be outlawed.

Those Democrats who opposed this bill on the grounds of protecting the sanctity of life know very well that this was not the real reason to vote against it, just a camouflage to mask their other reasons e.g. mabye, just mabye some of those Insurance Companies ( which understandably) are fiercely lobbying against this bill, those same companies are headquartered in the states where those democrats are representing. and no House representatives be it Republican or Democrat would risk losing their seats by not taking into account the sentiments of their constituents, even if it means voting against something they believe in.

March 22, 2010 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  4. It's time for another change!

The award serves little to Stupak when he can sell his vote to Obama.

March 22, 2010 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. Jay

Big deal that an award was taken away. I'd rather that Stupak have a meaningless symbolic entity taken away if it saves millions from bankruptcy.

Sad that people have no sense of what is the greater good.

And if the Republicans are so worried about the gift of life then why are they so in defense of their precious 2nd amendment that is responsible for the death of so many other innocents? How may times a year do we wake up to the headlines of people going crazy with guns?

Republicans are scum. Sad that there are too many stupid people around to put these idiots in office.

March 22, 2010 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  6. disappointed

Stupak told CNN, "I stood on my principle."

What principle? Either he waffled on his principle or he has no principles at all. I wonder if Rep Stupak's consience allowed him to sleep last night?

March 22, 2010 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  7. Steve

The fact that one of the leading anti-abortion groups in the country are that clueless, I am starting to believe that they no longer stand on principal rather just political bs. I am not for either camp of the Pro Choice – Pro Life debate but it looks like there are no brains left in the pro life camp. Sure allow the baby to born and then revolk its health care.. They don't care what happens to the child once it's born.

March 22, 2010 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  8. Brenda Jameson

My sincere thanks to Rep. Stupak who wisely put the health and walfare of the citizens, both born and unborn, of the US above some meaningless award. BRAVO.

March 22, 2010 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  9. 8 Years of “trickle down economics” has only left a wet spot on working America's shoes!

Stupak is the true Christian, the Reds are just pulling a "christian" con game.

March 22, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  10. Desmond in Canada

CONGRATULATIONS TO STUPAK FOR BEING OPEN ENOUGH TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE USA.
    The legislation as is does not permit federal funding for abortion. The executive order only re-affirms that and ensures that steps are taken to protect this legislation.
    This Health Reform Bill is not about allowing abortion. That, unfortunately, is already allowed in the USA. Stop trying to smear Obama by falsely describing him. This only discredits you folks.
    As a Canadian with very great personal/family experience in our health care system I say that you now have a law in place that actually shows that you care about saving lives before and after birth (though not yet as good as ours) BE GRATEFUL. THANK CONGRESS AND OBAMA. You do not seem able to appreciate the greatest President you have had in memory!!!

March 22, 2010 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  11. dave

Rep. Stupak stood for all life. These people are just too blind or stupid to understand that. He is right. He does not need this award.

March 22, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  12. Anonymous

We took a major step last night.. It will help america succeed..

March 22, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  13. Will-South Dakota

All those who voted NO..............Throw them out of office in November !! Time for health care in America!

March 22, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  14. Marcus Tate

This is only the very tip of the backlash that is about to overtake the Democratic Party. God help them come November.

March 22, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  15. Judy B.

I am an independent. Having great job with great health benefits.
    I am looking at medicare in 2 years. Another words, I am at the best
    spot it can be in the current system. Yet, I thank God for all my blessings and, I love to share all these blessings with my fellow Americans.
    Demos, I am so proud of you to pass the bill. Because the spirit of
    USA is "NOT ALL ABOUT ME!"
    President Obama, I guarantee you that your name will go down the history right by AbLincoln. I love you, respect you and so proud
    of you that you are my president!!!!!

March 22, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  16. save my state.

That because he sold his soul to the devil.

March 22, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  17. Gayle Neihau

Who were the members who did not vote at all?

March 22, 2010 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  18. Duck Fallas

WAAAHH!! The Democrats want to abort my grandmother!!

March 22, 2010 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  19. The Other Michael in Houston

Thank you Congressman for standing on your principles. Thank you also for not letting the few pressure you into doing something that the majority wanted. Now how does that taste Rebuplican Jihadist. Oh I almost forgot, does anyone know when Rush Limbaugh is leaving my country as he promised if Healthcare reform passed?

March 22, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. Anonymous

Why do people keep calling Obama pro-abortion. There is a huge difference between being pro-choice and pro-abortion. Obviously no one wants people to have abortions and would love alternatives but on the flip side women deserve the right to choose. Obama isn't pushing abortion and it's a shame people keep making it sound like he is.

March 22, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  21. Debby

Stupak is nothing but a sell out. We all know abortions will still be funded by the government, and its sad to think that its by Stupaks and his other followers hand that this will happen. He should have stood on his own principle like he lists above instead of caving into his party.

March 22, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  22. Kevin in Ohio

I used to respect this man. But he is just the same as the other baby-killers and tax and spend liberals in Washington.

March 22, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  23. dreadnaught

...tell me again, how many unwanted children has Marjorie Dannenfelser adopted?

March 22, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  24. Susan

Maybe I'm just dense but I do not understand the anti-abortionist's problems with this bill. It absolutely states that no federal funds may be used for abortion. And to top it off, President Obama is going to sign an executive order saying the same thing.

What can the right-to-life folks possibly have to complain about? I actually feel I should complain because a lot of babies will be born into a world of abuse and neglect by parents who didn't really want to have them. In my humble opinion, they're better off never having been born.

March 22, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  25. Steve in North Carolina

Another example of a career politician claiming "principles", who sells out when the rubber meet the road. These people need to be cleaned out of congress.

March 22, 2010 09:14 am at 9:14 am |