March 22nd, 2010

Texas Congressman: I made 'baby killer' remark

Texas Republican Randy Neugebauer admitted to yelling ‘baby killer’ during Sunday’s health care debate.

Washington (CNN) – A Texas Republican acknowledged on Monday that he was the person who yelled "baby killer" during Sunday's House debate on health care reform.

Related: Neugebauer should apologize to the House, Dem says

Rep. Randy Neugebauer said he shouted out "'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership" on compromise language that emphasized federal funds would not be used to pay for abortions.

Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak was on the House floor talking about the issue at the time of Neugebauer's outburst. Stupak was the leader of a group of anti-abortion rights Democrats who refused to back health care reform unless their concerns were addressed.

In a statement released by his office, Neugerbauer said that his comments have been misconstrued.

"Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support," he said. "In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

–CNN's Brianna Keilar contributed to this report

Follow Charles Riley on Twitter: @CRrileyCNN

Filed under: Abortion • Bart Stupak • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. I am the Great and Omnipotent Wizard of Rush and I Say . . .

Imagine getting caught and then lying about what you said.
    He sure fits the RebitherTea Party mold.

March 22, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Lillie

What's wrong with these folks??? It is 2010 and this madness still goes on....disrespect and the lack of civility is out of control!

March 22, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Senses

There was no 'debate' Mr. Neugebauer ! The gentleman from Michigan had the floor.. you should have waited for your turn to speak your mind instead of uttering your personal beliefs from the shadows in a loud and disrespectful manner. Unclassy.. but nonetheless nothing new considering the hypocritical party you represent.

March 22, 2010 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Nathalie

Why anyone would cast their vote for a party of people made up as people as immature as this man, I have no idea.

March 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Ramses

Some people never grow up and you can find several of them in the Republican party. You can spend a trillion dollor on an unnecessary iraq war, squander trillions in the wall street, screw up the economy & jobs but you do not want to spend it on the welfare of the people who pay taxes. Stupidity at its excellence.

March 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Lando Griffin

I wonder why the Republicans never complained when George W. was blowing the fetuses out of pregnant Iraqi women.

March 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Frank

And people wonder why the rest of the world is laughing at America.

March 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Clark

oooooh, I was calling the BILL a baby killer, not congressman Stupak. LOL! how convenient.... Last I checked, the BILL is an IT, a stack a pages and couldn't possibly kill anyone. What an idiot!

WAKE UP AMERICA, REPUBLICANS EVIL, VICIOUS ARE LIARS!

JUST SAY NO TO THE PARTY OF NO!

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Joshua Ludd

What is it with Republicans yelling things out.. and being substantially WRONG? Whatshisname was wrong about what he yelled about during the state of the union... and this idiot is wrong about yelling out anything to do with "baby killer". Abortion is not federally funded, and this bill would do NOTHING to change that... even before Stupak started his empty little crusade, it did not in any way fund abortion with public money. What Stupak proposed was simply this... keeping women from buying insurance with their own money through this system that would cover abortions. Lack of federal funding for abortion was NEVER altered in the slightest by this or any bill.

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. OMARK

You can pay for all those babies and their mothers. Maby you should resign?

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Diane Hudson

"The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect." It doesn't seem like people in Congress understand or appreciate that anymore. Shouting "You Lie" at the President and "baby killer" at another member of Congress???? Why should the American people respect our government when the people involved can't even recognize the significance of their place of business? I know it's hard for white middle & upper class men to realize they are not going to be the face of America forever, but it's disappointing that they would act in such a childish way.

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. GT Hill

Republicans consistently reveal that, in the heat and emotion of debate, they cannot contain their hatred. Hate is what drives them. VOTE ALL REPUBLICANS, CONSERVATIVE INDEPENDENTS, AND MODERATE DEMOCRATS OUT OF ALL OFFICES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. LET'S GET THIS COUNTRY ON A PROGRESSIVE TRACK. WE'VE FALLEN WAY TOO FAR BEHIND TO LISTEN TO THESE BUFFOONS EVEN ONE MINUTE LONGER!!!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. John Scott

I love the claim that he actually yelled "IT'S A baby killer." Another liar in congress. What a shock. Just man up and take credit for calling Stupak a baby killer like you had intended. If you are going to say it....at least stand up for your remarks. Coward.

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. dave meccariello

this has been typical of the replublican party as of late and why i changed my affiliation to independant. they have become very mean spirited and are under the thumb of radical christians

March 22, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. scottwiningear

This is what inbred republicans act like, they cant grow up ,They say what they want> I really think that most need their babysitter fired for their juvinille behavior

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. Lotus

what a jerk! I am from Texas and I am embarassed of his remarks. He sounds like my friggin Dad who is super conservative!

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Captain America

Asked whether Obama “is a U.S. citizen,” bill co-sponsor Randy Neugebauer, a Texas Republican, replied: “I don’t know. I’ve never seen him produce documents that would say one way or another.”

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. vin

hmmmm....the lone star state's finest; class act

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. Josh C

Vote him out, he's a typical bible beating Republican. He believes in magic apples, magic gardens and talking snakes. We need less people who believe in magic and more people who believe in education and reality.

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Cliff

Neugebauer's a real class act. Not.

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  21. mom01

Who Cares, Maybe someone needs to be taking notes on all of these outburst!!! how can you expcet the world to just bow down to all of this and be ok with the way things are going well how can we when congress can not even get along!! i think the american people would do a better job than these jokes up there calling there selves congress

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  22. Katherine

Never say your sorry for speaking the truth!

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  23. Robert

I'd prefer to see video proof that he said "its" rather than just "baby killer"

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. eli

Doesn't sound like he said, "it's a baby killer." The video from the floor sounds as if he says, "Baby Killer!"

Quite a difference between the two, though both are despicable.

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. Joe

But the content of Mr. Neugebauer was correct.

March 22, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |