March 22nd, 2010

Texas Congressman: I made 'baby killer' remark

Texas Republican Randy Neugebauer admitted to yelling ‘baby killer’ during Sunday’s health care debate.

Washington (CNN) – A Texas Republican acknowledged on Monday that he was the person who yelled "baby killer" during Sunday's House debate on health care reform.

Related: Neugebauer should apologize to the House, Dem says

Rep. Randy Neugebauer said he shouted out "'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership" on compromise language that emphasized federal funds would not be used to pay for abortions.

Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak was on the House floor talking about the issue at the time of Neugebauer's outburst. Stupak was the leader of a group of anti-abortion rights Democrats who refused to back health care reform unless their concerns were addressed.

In a statement released by his office, Neugerbauer said that his comments have been misconstrued.

"Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support," he said. "In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

–CNN's Brianna Keilar contributed to this report

Follow Charles Riley on Twitter: @CRrileyCNN

Filed under: Abortion • Bart Stupak • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. jm for sc

If he is really sorry for his action, why is he still lying? What are the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn if no federal funding will be used for abortion?

Republicans need to find another shelter because people can see through their abortion shelter. I have never seen any attempt to create legislation to make abortion illegal during the Republican majority.

March 22, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. DJ in TX

Not too much to spin your way out of this one. I have no problem with the Congressman's non support of the bill and fervently fighting it. That's politics. But the yelling of "baby killer" is beneath the US Congress.

But, nothing suprises me these days.

March 22, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. RightasRain

A Texan...how appropriate. Now if we could just get our nation's textbooks edited by similarly enlightened individuals.

March 22, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Praetorian

Rep. Neugebauer should be censured even more severely than Joe Wilson was. Otherwise, certain congressmen will feel that they have a license to ratchet things up further and further until the point where they US Congress will be having fistfights just like those I've seen in the assemblies of certain Asian nations. It's a disgrace there, and it's even more of a disgrace here.

March 22, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Joseph Waltz

Yet another example of the bitter, malicious rhetoric being spewed by the right. It's shameful.

March 22, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. Phil

I just wonder how a comment like this could be "misconstrued" if there was only 4 words in it and he said it in the midst of Stupak's comment.

March 22, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. Amanda L.

This man should be sanctioned. How is the public ever to trust their public officials if they decompensate into rowdy, disrespectful, distasteful adolescents during important moments of vital debate? Apologies don't suffice.

March 22, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. Norm

I knew he would come forward, not to apologise, but he thinks himself a hero. Shouting out like some unruly child in a high school assembly, sure isn't what we elect these people to do. Our politicians have become disrespectful frat boys in a special club paid for by the misrepresented tax payer. A Texas Republican...what a shocker.

March 22, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Triniti

Their all baby killers. 3rd term abortion is when the baby is pretty much ready to come out of the womb and their brain gets vacuumed out. HELLO, DURING THE 3RD TERM THE BABY CAN FEEL PAIN. So what, it doesnt count as a human life 5 minutes before being born? Anyone who agrees with abortion after the fetus is able to feel is a MONSTER and should already know they contribute to killing babies.

March 22, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. Doraine Gordon

You are a dirty rotten liar. I heard exactly what you said and you definitely shouted baby killer. All you Republicans think you can holler out anything you want to and then change the wording the next day. Well, you are another old white haired man who has stayed too long at the Fair. It is time for you to crawl into some gopher hole out there in West Texas and pull the dirt in over your head. I happen to be from Texas and by golly when you act ignorant in front of the nation it reflects on our entire state. I don't like it one little bit and I sure don't like you. Just who do you think you are? You are nothing!!!

March 22, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. Andy from NYC

I may not like health care reform when this legislation in its entirety takes effect, but I dislike the RNC and all those who follow this affiliation even less. REPUGNANT!

March 22, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. Becks

Fourth graders have more decorum and respect than these bozos. I don't care how impassioned you get – this new nonsense from the low-minded republicans guarantees I won't take anything they have to say seriously.

March 22, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Nate.

It took him over half a day to come up with this story and realize he was the one who said the comment? Please. These people are just pathetic and using ad hominem attacks to try and please the consituents at home who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

March 22, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Laurie

Yelling "you lie" at the President, spitting on congressman, calling out racist slurs, calling a gay congressman the f word, and now baby killer at a fellow house member. The republican party and their band of cohorts are a wonderful example to the children in this country and are able to demonstrate their trashy skills in many forums. How about they try to debate an issue without the lies, smear jobs, racist comments, and the support of the tea party.

March 22, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. Kay Ikerd

The American people expect more from our legislators. Such lack of control, decorum, and common sense cannot be erased with a limp apology. Such disrespect for others is the reason that fundamentalists and right-to-lifers will never earn the respect of thoughtful citizens.

I for one, hope that you lose your next election!
    Please, go home to Texas and stew in your own self-righteousness.

March 22, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. kenneth boudreau

when are these people going to understand that other people have a right to choose by law, wether we agree or not.

March 22, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Slappy White

Put him in a wheelchair and he looks like Mr. Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life."

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. SouthernGirl

He is an idiot. He sounded just like the Tea BAGGERS (Party)insulting the members of Congress over the weekend.

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. sara

I CAN NOT the GOP !! You right winger / churchies are killing this country you all are the ones that go to church on sunday and while pulling out of the parking lot flip someone off!! YOU MAKE ME SICK!!

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. TC

Yep. A "good ole boy" Eeeeehaw!! What a loser.

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Eimerd

No one is surprised that its a Texas republican. They would love to seceede , I agree but lets not wait , lets kick them out. Let them pay for their own freeways, schools, healthcare, security etc. Saves us a lot of money that we can spend on job programs for all of us!

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Sarah

What a jerk. He's taking away from the dignity of the American process.

March 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. ha ha fat cats

Oh darn you lost lots of money when the bill was passed. Yelling out seems to be what the GOP does best, not actual work. This guy is a prime example of why we need an overhaul of our so called repersentivies. When will the madness end? To think we pay this guy to act like this. Totally worthless.

March 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Billy P.

Stop worrying about the unborn and worry about those of us already here. Republicans dont seem to care about people unless they are unborn, military age or rich. This is why I want to live in my own country somewhere.

March 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but...

Remember kids, killing is only OK when it's brown people who have natural resources that we want. Have a nice day!

March 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |