March 22nd, 2010

Texas Congressman: I made 'baby killer' remark

Texas Republican Randy Neugebauer admitted to yelling ‘baby killer’ during Sunday’s health care debate.

Washington (CNN) – A Texas Republican acknowledged on Monday that he was the person who yelled "baby killer" during Sunday's House debate on health care reform.

Related: Neugebauer should apologize to the House, Dem says

Rep. Randy Neugebauer said he shouted out "'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership" on compromise language that emphasized federal funds would not be used to pay for abortions.

Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak was on the House floor talking about the issue at the time of Neugebauer's outburst. Stupak was the leader of a group of anti-abortion rights Democrats who refused to back health care reform unless their concerns were addressed.

In a statement released by his office, Neugerbauer said that his comments have been misconstrued.

"Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support," he said. "In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

–CNN's Brianna Keilar contributed to this report

Follow Charles Riley on Twitter: @CRrileyCNN

Filed under: Abortion • Bart Stupak • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. Melissa

Somehow, I'm not surprised.

March 22, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. RJF

Strange that it happens to be an old white guy. Who would have thought...

March 22, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. Erisian

You know I have a tendency to believe he regrets it. My initial reaction was that he was pulling a Joe Wilson by intentionally creating a stir that would make him look good in his District and get him reelected. But this guy seems a little different.

March 22, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Cheryl

It is yet another example of how our society has lost all sense of character, integrity and respect....He should charged with an ethics violation regardidng misconduct.....

March 22, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. CMG

Yes, the theme of the GOP is always "misconstrued." These are educated men and women. You would think that someone would have taught them along the way how to articulate their words. Look what Joe Wilson started. It is now a big game. How disgusting.

March 22, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. WMG

First we get "You Lie" from the Congressman in South Carolina; now "Baby Killer" from this guy. Shows little respect for your fellow Congressman and sets a poor example otherwise. Making the statement was irresponsible. But I guess it is okay if you say you're sorry, huh? I'm sure some will argue this is free speech and yada yada yada, but treat others as you would have them treat you, regardless if you agree or disagree on the bill. And for those that exclaim that he said "IT'S A Baby Killer", amazing no one heard the first part of what he now states to be the case.

March 22, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. MaoSayTongue

Baby-killer is actually the nicest thing that can be said about abortionpeople. The proper term is baby-murderer, since the act is premeditated.

The word abortion, itself, is a textbook Orwellian term: the verb ABORT is nounified in order to insulate the subject (the one doing the aborting) from the act, and to dehumanize the object (the one being aborted). Hence, "Mother aborts baby" becomes "Abortion is performed" or "Baby is aborted" or "Mother has an abortion." The term ABORTION is easier to put into passive voice.

Let's start calling abortion what is it: Baby-Murder.

March 22, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. Robb Zerr

Is this how far we've fallen as a country that used to so highly value respect and civility? Our Congress is beginning to sound a lot more like British Parliament with all its cat calls. Sad that these supposed leaders of our country have become derisive and disrespectful. No wonder our youth are so rude. No one is left to set an example...

March 22, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. MWA

Mr. Stupid, I mean Stupak, context is everything.

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Janson

What a typical tacky move. "Oh I can't be held responsible for being a jerk because I'm so passionate about my cause". Ok, but you're still a jerk.

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Orville

Isn't this typical from the reactionary conservatives?What happened to civility and being able to agree to disagree with dignity and without impugning another person's integrity...Oh we are in so much more trouble than we know!

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. LovesRunningAndKnitting

It took him a long time to come up with that excuse. Where is the compassion? Nobody wants an abortion or gets pregnant with the intent to get abortion . Why not focus your efforts on education and prevention. Besides people who don't have or have never had a uterus should not have a say in the abortion issue.

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. dave

Republicans never cease to amaze us. Is there some special school they send these people to?

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. otto1967

Just more Republican filth. What else would you expect from a Texan?

March 22, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. Ron

How many babies have died due to lack of proper medical care because they have no insurance?

March 22, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. Willy Brown

He said " It's a baby killer" but CNN and the liberal media won't tell you that of course.

March 22, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. blessed

yea right, what a joke, he knew exactly what he was doing. These guys are nut jobs

March 22, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. Bill

This man and this remark is a reminder that he and other republicans are filled with hate toward anyone except one of them. They have driven America into the ground as a result of their greed and wanting the rich to get richer. When are people going to wake up and see the truth and that is that republicans are filled with hatred and are evil.

March 22, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Denise M.C.

How dare Texas Republican Randy Neugebauer scream out ' baby killer'!
    ABORTIONS have been legal per the U.S. Constitution for women from the early 1970's. I have kept my mouth shut but can no longer stand by.
    I will be 53 this year...half the women of my generation have had legal abortions. Abortions have occured since the day women began to conceive...or they left the infants in the fields for the wild animals to eat...
    I had 2 medically prescribed abortions in the late 1970's after being hospitalized for weeks both times after my birth control failed and I developed severe hyperemisis and ketosis;I lost over 25 lbs in a mo. on both occassions.My body was shutting down. I was under 15 weeks pregnant both times...and it was a very sad choice to have this proceedure legally done and paid for by private insurance.But I dare any male elected official to come to me to my face and call me a 'baby killer'. I have 3 adult children whom I love and cherish...the two I had to abort live in my heart forever.

March 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  20. TM

Censure him. Immediately. No apology. No calrifacation of motive. He dishonored himself, his party, and the House. He did so deliberately and knowingly, and in the service of nothing more than his own ego. This was no accident. It was a naked attempt to continue to stoke the fires of rage and ignorance with a fuel of lies.

March 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. ray

misconstrued???? a man who is supposed to serve the people and be educated enough not to blurt out "statements" like this one! as a Texan I am ashamed that this man represents our state! let it be known , he in no way represents all Texans!

March 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. DLinLA

Misconstrued? Yea, right.....

March 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. rj

How long will it take the american people to see the GOP.

March 22, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. Valathel

Oh good. We know to donate money to anyone running against him.

March 22, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. TxM3xTx

I have my doubts if Mr Neugebauer (or anyone else for that matter) said the same thing when the last administration, headed by the Great Decider G.W. Bush, sent thousands of American Soldiers to their deaths in Iraq. Some of which you could say were just babies, young men and women, serving their country. But they died for what ? And I don't hear anyone about that. To my best knowledge Iraq did not make the first move to attack the US.

March 22, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |