March 22nd, 2010

Vicki Kennedy visits husband's grave on day of historic vote

Vicki Kennedy talks with John King Monday about her late husband’s legacy and the passage of health care reform—a goal Sen. Edward Kennedy worked towards for nine terms in the U.S. Senate.

Washington (CNN) –- As the House was debating the controversial health care bill Sunday, Vicki Kennedy visited Arlington National Cemetery where she said she "spent some time" with her husband. Arlington is the final resting place for Sen. Edward Kennedy, the Massachusetts Democrat who made health care reform his passion and lifelong goal.

"I thought yesterday was an important day to be there, because I had hope and confidence and certainly, you know, wish that the bill would pass," she said in an exclusive interview with CNN's John King.

The full interview appears on CNN's new political program "John King, USA," which debuts Monday at 7 p.m. ET.

Watch and read the full story on the John King, USA blog

Filed under: JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts • Vicki Kennedy
  1. RCasson

RIP Senator Kennedy. We did it!!

March 22, 2010 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. J.P.

Did she bring him some Chivas?

March 22, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. ServingOurCountry

Don't forget to tell your husband that illegal immigrants now have the same access to healthcare as the rest of the hardworking taxpaying Americans who couldn't afford it either and that the federal government funds abortions. I have respect for the late Senator Kennedy. But despite the different party affiliations between me and him, I find it hard to believe that this is what he fought for and would have approved: increased government control, less freedom through mandates, free healthcare for illegal immigrants, and federal funding of abortions.
    This is not reform; this is unconstitutional and contradictory to the morals and principles this country was founded upon.

March 22, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Aunt Bea and Opie

Yes we did,and theres much more to come for the Majority of Americans.Limbaugh may as well go to his favorite hideout and become a priest with alot of dittoheads as alterboys.hahaha

March 22, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Slider

Who will visit Henry Hyde's grave?

Any of these shameful Dems?

You know who Hyde was, yes?

I would think after trampling on the man's legacy and statute, some sort of remembrance by those that trampled on it would be in order.

Don't worry. We'll remember in the next two election cycles, then you Dems will have all the time in the world to pay the man a visit.

March 22, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Jerry

I am sorry but who cares what this woman thinks, she married the old guy and now has lots of money period.

March 22, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. one voice

This isn't the perfect bill but it 's progress in the right direction. If Teddy was alive He would've fought tooth and nail for the public option. Thanks for all you did for the Average Americans Teddy!!! We love you. R.I.P.

March 22, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. darwin

Who really cares what ted Kennedy thought he was just a murder and got away with it.

March 22, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Accountant Guy

Good job Mr. President! Glad that you were able to get the job done, even though the Republicans, as usual tried to derail anything good for this country. Hopefully, Rush Limbaugh keeps his promise and leaves the US. He can take all the Republicans and racist Tea Party members with him too.

March 22, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. Susan

I am a Democrat and ashamed of our democratic representatives. Alot of other Democrats are going to be voting the ones who agreed to this horrible bill, out of their jobs come November. We are tired of being taxed to death and lied to about the costs of all these programs that Obama and these representatives have put into play since they took office. There is going to be a big surprise awaiting them very soon! Democrats don't be surprised when a lot of their constituents change party lines. As for Vicki Kennedy who cares what she thinks or has to say. Her husband was not a good man!

March 22, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Pat

Vicki,...one of the good people.

March 22, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. But Vicki.....

pro choice women were again thrown under the bus by Obama......poor women will have to go back to back alley abortions with wire coat hangers.....hope Obama is happy with this....

March 22, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Mike in NYC

Touching.

While she's at it, she should ask him about his 1965 claim that the Immigration Act he sponsored that year wouldn't change the ethnic makeup of the US. I guess that was another one of his “passions and lifelong goals.” Mission accomplished.

I'm still not missing him.

March 22, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Rob

"And on her drive home from the cemetary, the widow Kennedy carefully avoided all bridges and levees, out of respect for her husband."

I could care less what this woman does.

March 22, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. j

I think her husband would be pleased with the passage of the health care reform bill.

March 22, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Felly

God bless Edward Kennedy.

March 22, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. S Callahan

I think you may see that same ground shaking soon...deception comes in many ways...and an Executive order that was meant for good...is not good enough. The wording of the HCB has to change to reflect protection of the unborn....in truth..allowing abortion is just a tool to prevent those ordained by God to come in to this world with his truths...what fools...God is all powerful...nothing can stop him.

Ted now knows.......

March 22, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  18. Boston Irish

Frankly, I see nothing relevant in what she says about anything. All she is, is a late politician's wife. A good politician as long as it benefited him, but a poor excuse as a person.

March 22, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. All the news that is fit to omit

Give me a break, this phony is not even a Kennedy and she is getting the phony "godlike" treatment.

Newsflash for the sheeple AND CNN, this was NOT Ted the "swimmers" life's work as the myth is being portrayed because in the EARLY 70's Richard Nixon (of all people) had a great plan to reform healthcare but it was STOPPED by Ted Kennedy.

FACT.

So please stop the myths and lies, leave that up to the President with his 3000 percent decrease in premiums LIE and his I can keep my Doctor and insurance MYTH.

See you in November "Vicki".

March 22, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. Texas Jack

Another article on the "SICKO" Kennedys. I am so tired of this Immoral name.

March 22, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Susie

I only wish Senator Kennedy had lived long enough to see this day. I hope that somehow President Obama or Congress does something to honor his memory and acknowledge how much his efforts had to do with making health care. It would be such a wonderful gesture to somehow name the bill for him or something along those lines. I wish I lived near Arlington, I would go to his grave today to leave a copy of the paper announcing the history passage and a copy of the bill (yes all of it) for him. It may not be the universal health care he dreamed of, but I can't help thinking that if he hadn't kept this important issue alive all those years, then last night's vote would not have been possible.

March 22, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. Renee from Seattle, WA

God Bless Vicki,

Your husbands dream has come true!! Thank God!!

March 22, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. Dave

Oh boy, I'm getting so teary eyed I almost can't see the screen.........gimme a break.

March 22, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Greg K., PA

"The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die." ~Ted Kennedy

Hear, hear!

March 22, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. Jane

This is a great victory for the Kennedy family too, knowing what Ted Kennedy fought for was not in vain, he left his mark on healthcare initiatives. A true believer in healthcare is a Right for all. Jane

March 22, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |