March 23rd, 2010

Obama signs health care bill into law

ALT TEXT

Obama signed the health reform bill into law Tuesday. (Getty Images).

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama, greeted by applause from enthusiastic backers of his health care reform legislation, said, "Today after almost a century of trying, today after over a year of debate, today after all the votes have been tallied, health insurance reform becomes law in the United States of America."

Watch the remarks after the jump

Filed under: Health care
  1. Beverly - NYC

Are there any other Republicans created messes you would like to dare Democrats to clean up without you? Don't hate, celebrate!! This will help all Americans not just democrats. I am forced to use Aetna by my employer, if I can get the same level of care for less than I am paying monthly I'm all for it. If my mother can get her blood pressure medications for a reasonable price instead of the $150 she currently pays all the better. I dare any Republican, tea bagging racist to tell me I should have these things at a fair price. I have never received handouts but, I just don't want to be gouged either.

And to Joe Kiloz and others like him, President Obama did not create the mess that led to 10% unemployment. But don't let facts get in the way of your rants. We know what you and others like you are really mad about. You live in a melting pot , get used too it. We may one day have a Latino or Asian president. Won't your head explode then.

March 23, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. Debbie from AZ

Thank you, President Obama and all of the House Representatives who had the courage to do the right thing for our country. Today, I am very proud to be an American.

March 23, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. No1

I don't understand how healthcare should be mandatory and not an option. People hardly make enough money from the small paying jobs that they do have, and now you want them to pay for healthcare that they still won't be able to afford? How can this represent all of America, when NO ONE from the Republican party voted for this? How is that a fair representation of all of America? I voted for Obama, and I'm starting to think that maybe I should have voted for the other guy... With this bill passing, I'm scared to think about where we're headed in the next three years. I have healthcare, and thankfully I can afford it. I just don't think that it should be illegal not to have it. I think it should be my choice where I spend my money.

March 23, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Montanan for Change

This is a step in the right direction! How can the richest country on earth not have health care for all of it's citizens? I am proud today.

March 23, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. William, from Cali

I think these Democrats and this President feel that they have won the N.C.A.A. basketball title...they are wrong! they only won the play-in game! The American people are the losers! Again...read the small print!

March 23, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Mary A.

It's a beginning! This process has been the ugliest I've followed. As a person who worked 30 years in healthcare and witnessed the changes take place over several decades I know change in this area cannot come soon enough. We built the best system in the world and then destroyed it by greed from all sides. It's time to review and renew our national commitment to excellence in care and compassion.

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. william turcotte

I watched President Obama sign the healthcare bill with my twin 4 year old girls . It was great to explain that before today some Kids and babies got sick and could not go to the doctor ,because thier Mommy and Daddy do not have money to pay the doctor . But today – Our good President said "all Kids and babies can go to the Doctor even if they do not have enough money . Today "we the people" just became a little better.

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  8. Mark Buck

This is not Tyranny.

It was passed by a legal maneuver by a body elected by a majority to office. You lost the election. You would have done the same thing. Don't lie to yourself. When your people were in power you didn't have a problem with it.

This is not Socialism.

This is insurance through private companies.

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. Marc

To those who use the word "socialist". Have you ever lived in a socialist country? Shut up please...

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. dsmith77

dear joe kiloz:

It's all about the economy. All of it. Healthcare included.

And there's two ways to help any money crunch – increase income or reduce spending. The President and congress have already put plans in place to increase income. It's now time to do the latter.

"Wasting time" on healthcare as you call it is a big effort to reduce longterm costs. I bet when you're old and in a retirement home you'll be glad we have this.

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. CC

I love to read about the flip flopping the media and Dems all claim on claim on Mitt. SUCH HYPOCRISY!!!!!!!! IF THE MEDIA would do THEIR job..........they could point out OBVIOUS flip flops of OBAMA. BUT.....the media is in "reverence"' to the king. This includes the sham of health care bill just passed. While "Senator Obama" (part-time as it was, voting present as much as possible)....he was against reconciliation and other SUCH tactics. BUT NOW.......while ramming down this socialist bill..........ANY TACTICS are fair game!! Such HYPOCRISY by the media and the Dems!!

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  12. Bridget

The Democrats have a backbone. Finally.

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Linda Flaum

Thank you for being the President who is fighting for the common good of the people.

It's sad that the GOP, Fox, Limbaugh & Beck who started the Tea Party movement are all fighting for the good of big Corporations.
    Tea Partiers you need to wake up and realize who is fighting for you.
    President Obama! The hipocracy of the GOP and Fox just astounds me. They don't care about the Tea Partiers. They are just using your
    lack of knowledge (and in some cases, your ignorance) to manipulate you. Believe me, the GOP,Limbaugh and Beck won't be there for you when you lose your health insurance. No, they don't care. The fearmongering and lies are all designed to start a revolution. It's total racism. President Obama will go down as one of our best Presidents ever!

March 23, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. Abetterlife

Thank You Obama I am a college student who is trying to find work. I am married and my husband works but we have 2 kids and this Bill might bot be perfect but it is a great start for those of us you have a hard time to have insurance for our selves and our children.

March 23, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. vijay

Great Job Mr.President and the congress.
    Bush and GOP took us to war and economic collapse,
    Mr. Obama and congress took care of the health care for people this nation.
    What a difference.
    VJ
    Hayward.

March 23, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. David from Long Beach

Thank god. It's about time. Congratulations, fellow Americans!

March 23, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. Gerry M

A promise made is a promise kept. President Obama and the Congressional Democrats have done a great service to the citizens of the United States. The log-jam that prevented millions of persons from obtaining health insurance has been broken, never to be rebuilt. After 100 years of fits and starts we all can breathe a bit easier today knowing that in short order quality and affordable health care will be the normative condition of the American culture, rather that the province of the fortunate few.

March 23, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Love and Peace

Thanks you Mr.President its been a long time coming. Doing nothing wasn't a option. -Thanks You Mr.President

March 23, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. Michael from Ventura

Thanks Mr. President! Watching the baggers makes me even more glad this has passed. Maybe now they'll realize they lost in 08 for a reason- just like they lost Sunday. Whinners,bigots and liars....have a nice day.

March 23, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. Shelly

Hooray!!!! Obama said he signs this Bill on behalf of his late mother, Ann Dunham. No more mothers have to fight with Health Insurance companies while they are fighting for their own lives.
    America has moved forward and will benefit morally, financially and bodily from this legislation. What have the Repubs done while they were in power to help the 98% of citizens ....only a trillion dollar war and tax cuts for the weealthy.
    And yes I am a socialist ( just a stupid word) and a Democrat because I deeply care f or my fellow Americans. If socialist means caring for your fellow beings and taking a higher moral ground, I am for it. I am tired of labels and our materialistic and self centered society . We cannot be a Great nation until we transcend from a 'me me' attitude to 'us' ass the Founding Fathers had envisioned!
    I am proud of my intelligent and caring President.

March 23, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  21. Sheri

Patricia O'Kelley- They aren't, you know, I know it! They only way this will impact your "mother" is to close the donut hole and bring her prescription prices down. Seniors will actually be getting a rebate check. So, throw out this falsehood? Can't sway opinions on the facts?

March 23, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. Rickster

Nancy Pelosi's favorable rating in the CBS poll stands at 11 percent.

Harry Reid's favorable rating, meanwhile, is even lower: 8 percent.

It used to be, back in the good old days, that insane people were fitted with strait-jackets and put into nice, padded rooms. Today they are elected by democrats to run the country.

March 23, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  23. A GREAT REPUBLICAN

Today was a historic day , just as 911, Pear Harbor, World War 1, World War II was. This Health Bill is in the same category. This bill is a disaster. President Obama must be defeated.

March 23, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. JFK

Munchmom, Joe Kiloz, and AXH, you really must be out of touch with reality and problems in America. This is just one problem that needs to be dealt with. And look at the juvenile responses on here like "DemocRATs" and "Can I throw up now? ". Classy and thanks for showing us your true colors and lack of information on current issues. A lot of people are suffering and the Party of No can only come up with childish responses and "No" to everything anyways. Its no wonder more can not get done.

March 23, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. AndyBlue

History made and all we get from Republicans is a promise to continue their obstructionism of and advancement of America.

We have fallen so far behind the rest of the world and they promise to keep obstructing.

With 2 Wars, a struggling economy, Jobs shortages, etc. all we can expect from Republicans is ......... stalling any progress.

Republicans...... The Great America Disgrace.

March 23, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |