March 23rd, 2010

Obama signs health care bill into law

ALT TEXT

Obama signed the health reform bill into law Tuesday. (Getty Images).

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama, greeted by applause from enthusiastic backers of his health care reform legislation, said, "Today after almost a century of trying, today after over a year of debate, today after all the votes have been tallied, health insurance reform becomes law in the United States of America."

Watch the remarks after the jump

Filed under: Health care
  1. linda

Congratulations President Obama, Madam Speaker, and all the Democrats who had the foresight and courage to think about
    Americans first!

May the party of NO be booted and sent packing in November as
    a result of their lies, misinformation, lunatic actions, racial slurs,
    and excessive fear-mongering.

The obstructionists care only about their money coffers, big
    corporations, AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CONSTITUENTS!

The Republican party of 'ME FIRST"/NO who hates America.

March 23, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. Lisa

I am very proud of my President, this bill has been needed for 100 years!!! I for one am excited, for McCain to come out and say that now that the Dems have won we as Republicans will not due another thing the rest of the year. SUPRISE, SUPRISE just what is it that you have done the past year, the repubs have done nothing but say "NO" to everything. They are liars and fear mongors, I will say they are very good at it, when one lies the rest sware to it!!! I once respected Mr. McCain but I hate a sore looser and that's what he and the republican party are "SORE LOOSERS". I think in November the Repub. party will pay for not taking a part in almost all bills and legislation that has been put in front of them. GO OBAMA GO. McCain that statement just hurt your party big time!!!!! They have yet to work with this Pres. so really what will be the big change.???????

March 23, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. Larry

It is a sad day . . . the death of the democratic party is now arrived . . . the new party is the Progressive Party . . .

March 23, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Richard Rougeau

This is just another way to take our rights away from us. Our freedom is at stake here. I'm disable and can't even go to the doctor. Forcing people to pay for something they don't want is extortion. There has to be an option to forced medical insurance. The insurance company's must be behind this just like seat belts and helmet laws. This bill will only hurt the people that can least afford it.

March 23, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. billy

Well done, Mr. President.

Read about this bill before you jump on the tea bagger meme. Think for yourself! This bill is a great win for all Americans.

March 23, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. 8 Years of “trickle down economics” has only left a wet spot on working America's shoes!

Since health care access for 32 million working class Americans was called "Armageddon" by the "christian" cons House reps, here is my request.

Could you please get Saint Sarah of the Silly to use that "open line to God" she claims to have, and schedule that whole Rapture "thingy"?

That way all you "christians" are safe and sound and all we mere mortal human "heathens" will have to deal with are those pesky Horsemen of the Apocalypse, that will bring disease, pestilence and and an endless array of horrible things.

If the phone is busy(I assume God does not have Voicle Mail) get the TwitterTwit to send a tweet!

Please, do not make the Rapture dependent upon Saint Sarah being there on time, her history with meetings and invitations has not been the best. But I do assume she will be present and cross referencing her list of approved individuals that "Jesus saves".l

Thanking you in advance, no need to alert us when the Rapture comes, I will know, because I will be heading to Billy Graham's sure to be vacant mountain top chalet(personally, I might have used those funds for the poor and a more modest adobe but whom am I to judge)?

Now, if only the pilot of his private Lear Jet, is a "heathen" I intend to travel....

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. AK Steve

I think once all the fear-mongering lies pan out and are proved false, Americans will be mighty pleased that we are finally an industrial nation with a health care system that no longer a third world system.

Way to go.

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Robbi

It is a great day for America. Keep up the good work, Mr. President, there is still much left awry that needs correction and we're counting on you.

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  9. Brink

Good job. Keep showing America what leadership is, as compared to pandering to special interests and hate mongering. Next, take on the thieves of Wall Street and put some teeth in the regulations so the next time they decide to bankrupt the country for their own financial benefit, there will be a nice place for them in a maximum security facility.

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Hope and Change in 2012

Yay, can't wait for my insurance premiums to increase by 200% next years. Thanks Obama. Can't wait for my income taxes (yes, I actually pay unlike most of you liberals) to increase. Didn't really need the extra money anyway. Thanks Obama. Can't wait to get fired cause my employer can't afford the new health care mandate. Who would want to work when you can collect unemployement anyway? Thanks Obama.

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. Anonymous

This administration has two republican secretaries,more minorities and women in their cabinet in comparison with the previous elder white men club.

It is clear to me that USA is not dealing with conservatives any more , but with radicals and extremists.

When rep Wilson yelled " you lie" , it was planned because his congress neighbors where not surprised at all .
    ( see the footage , I would look at my neighbor first if he started yelling anything , check out his two buddy's next to him ).

Now it's baby killer , what's next ?

These people hate the living guts of their administration , not because they are doing a bad job but just because repub's are not in power anymore , can someone ad psychiatric help for these goons into the bill?

The only thing that got shoved down where the distortions from movements against change after the majority had voted for change.

March 23, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Jim

Congratulations, Pres. Obama!. You have earned an honored place in history for accomplishing this needed healthcare reform.

I was 20 years old when Pres. Lyndon Johnson (LBJ) signed the then controversial Medicare and Civil Rights bills. I disliked LBJ then because I thought he represented the Establishment and the dirty wheeling & dealing ways of politics and the Vietnam war. I've come to realize LBJ was one of our greatest and most courageous presidents, as I believe Obama will be recognized in the future.

March 23, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. Fabius

How cute, people expressing great joy and enthusiasm! Look at me applaud with such excitement and praise, yay!! :)

They're gonna go down come November and get your popcorn ready! :)

March 23, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  14. K

The Replicans should stop saying No and rather come out with constructive ideas. The lives that they want to protect are the same lives who need insurance today. Healthcare can easily bancrupt individual no matter how much money you have. I think most Healthcare professionals are happy of this moment. Whether they like it or not history is made. They should rather use the money that they are using for law sue to rather creat more job for America. They never complain when they were voting billions of dollars in Iraq but when it come to healthcare for all Americans they think the government is wasting money. The vote for war but will not vote for healthcare. They always say they are protecting the babies but they vote to spend money to kill others in another country. Let us also spend on our own people who pay taxes . It is not that people does not want the insurrane but thy can not afford it.

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Rick

Guess we will have to go to Canada for med help now! These commie slime are out of here now. we won't forget! Demos did it there gone and the repub's didn't do enough to stop it...there out too! We've have it with career politicians. This president is not coming back ever!

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. kincas

Thank you, Mr. President for a job well done...

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Cody

Anytime we enact entitlement programs, it is very difficult to backtrack and get rid of them (i.e. welfare, Medicaid, trasfer payments). This is the largest social entitlement expansion of all time and we (China) will have to pay for. I believe in healthcare reform as a large majority of Republicans do, but not how this President and this Congress just did it. It is like a tire running low on air. Instead of putting air in it, we threw it off and ordered a new tire that costs a lot of money we don't have. We need to create real, long-term jobs and cut spending to bring down the deficit and pay off our foriegn debts. This was the worn bill and it was passed at the wrong time when many otehr decisions should have been made. Oh, and I am not looking forward to my government REQUIRING me to purchase a good from them. UN-American.

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. cocopiaul

Great Obama, right in CNN's face with their anti-Obama viewpoint. David Gergan, Gloria Borger, and the other side who they give lot of airtime. Their poll of a lot of older republicans which CNN tries to make a representation of the entire United States. I have never been polled. Why CNN?

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. Louise

"Woo hoo" shouts Obama, I have fooled you all into allowing me to pass this monstrous bill that only slightly has anything to do with health reform. Now, what else can i do to steal US tax payers money, i've only got a little bit of time left......

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Justin - NC

Hahaha! Thank you President Obama. Change has come! For over fifty years we've been struggling for comprehensive health care reform and now, I can get insurance and not be denied or dropped because of my genetic disorder which is a pre-existing condition! A new day has come to Washington, Change has come to America, and Republicans can't do anything to stop it besides whine and cry to their base about socialism and other such crap. BTW, isn't Rush Limbaugh supposedly leaving the country for Costa Rica, another country with Universal Health Care? Funny, Rush leaves one country for another with UHC, I guess he secretly wanted HCR after all. Then again, he did love that socialized medicine while he was in Hawaii for his heart check up.

March 23, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. Texas Doc

The GOP is just jealous because they have NOTHING and have no record of doing anything for humanity. They giggle as domestic terrorists fly planes into US Govt. Office buildings in TX and when racist teabaggers call elected members of Congress shamful names. If the GOP and teabaggers hate this so much give up your Social Security, your Medicare, your Congressional government run health plans. Go somwhere that has a private military to protect your freedoms (ours is taxpayer funded). If your house catches on fire call your independent contractor fire company or private security guards. Stay off the taxpayer funded roads. You hate the things which make this country great which puts you in the same league as the terrorists. Help, or get out of the way. It is that simple.

March 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Michael

President Obama "thank you," for passage of Healthcare reform, now you have a legacy! After going through 8 yaers of repuglican disasterous reign, we are finally getting a bang for our bucks! Repuglican the party of "no" have sealed their fate. There will be a "waterloo," but it will be the "repuglicans." CNN, FOX, and ABC is wrong on their prognosis and their feeble attempts to sway Americans opinions! American people will come around regardless of how CNN, FOX or ABC play this historical significant accomplishment! Opinion polls are not representative of grass root Americans, just because they are not acting like the Tea partiers do not be deceived by the seducing spirit of anti-government! All those repuglicans who want less government should "DENY THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS SOCIAL SECURITY, DISABILITY OR MEDICARE WHEN THEY GET OLD." I'LL BET YOU CNN THOSE REPULICANS WILL BANK THOSE BENEFITS WITH ENTHUSIASM!

March 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. An Independent

For all these people who complain about the health care law;
    1)You know we could not stay where we were.
    2) You know that the Repbulicans had a year to particpate in the debate.
    3) The Republican ideas were incorporated into the the bill before it was signed.
    4) Evidence of the above is there is no public option or universal coverage.
    5) The President was elected by the majority of the people because he said he was going to do something about this issue.
    6) You can not be taken seriously with your complaints.
    7) You lost the election by a wide margin.
    8) The American people have spoken.
    9) Have a good day!

March 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. Haas

From reading the other posts, it looks like the right wing nuts had their glass of Hater-ade this morning. Just admit that you didn't vote for Obama, and will hate everything he does, even if you stand to benefit from his policies. The rest of us Americans will be busy rebuilding this country while you contemplate your defeat.

I love this country!

March 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  25. Jeff in Virginia

Congrats President Obama, you have completed a 100-year quest to bring justice to health care in the country that I love.

March 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |